IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you keep songs of an album you don't like?
bernhold
post Apr 14 2013, 17:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107330

In my digital music collection, I have some albums where I only like two or three songs and the rest is total garbage. In the past, I always deleted those other songs to save space. But somehow, I regret it now. I feel like an album is like an atomic unit, a piece of art as a whole, and you just shouldn't cut it apart. How do you feel about that, and how do you deal with that issue? I'm really keen on hearing some other opinions as this decision has bothered me for some weeks now.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
garym
post Apr 14 2013, 21:49
Post #2

Member No.: 35261

QUOTE (bernhold @ Apr 14 2013, 10:41) *
In my digital music collection, I have some albums where I only like two or three songs and the rest is total garbage. In the past, I always deleted those other songs to save space. But somehow, I regret it now. I feel like an album is like an atomic unit, a piece of art as a whole, and you just shouldn't cut it apart. How do you feel about that, and how do you deal with that issue? I'm really keen on hearing some other opinions as this decision has bothered me for some weeks now.

I keep all songs. Space is cheap. And there are albums I hated 30 years ago, that have become favorites. Taste can change. And my musical taste has broadened and matured over time.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Apr 15 2013, 20:26
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

I sold a few albums back in the day. Still kinda regret it. I have too many squirrel genes. I even keep data sessions on EnhancedCDs. Likely I even have one of those copy protection malware things .zipped down ...

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post
ktf
post Apr 22 2013, 17:14
Post #4

Member No.: 68263

QUOTE (Porcus @ Apr 15 2013, 21:26) *
I even keep data sessions on EnhancedCDs.

Really? blink.gif

I even hesitated removing duplicates (having tracks in a regular albums as well as in a compilation, exactly the same recording), I only delete songs I don't like when it's a compilation, not when it's an album.

--------------------
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.
+Quote Post
ChronoSphere
post Apr 22 2013, 22:18
Post #5

Member No.: 41384

Nope, been archiving to image+internal cue but recently changed to single tracks. Still not deleting songs I don't like.
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Apr 22 2013, 22:49
Post #6

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

Flac=keep all tracks
Mp3 copies = only keep the tracks I like
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Apr 25 2013, 11:32
Post #7

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (ktf @ Apr 22 2013, 18:14) *
QUOTE (Porcus @ Apr 15 2013, 21:26) *
I even keep data sessions on EnhancedCDs.

Really? blink.gif

Not Cactus (nor other malware!) though ... actually, some CDs even contain bonus tracks in the data session.

There should have been an image format for true copying of EnhancedCDs.

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post
ktf
post Apr 25 2013, 20:15
Post #8

Member No.: 68263

QUOTE (Porcus @ Apr 25 2013, 12:32) *
There should have been an image format for true copying of EnhancedCDs.

I believe there are, .mds for example. I used a .mds to back-up a mixed-mode game-CD, which is audio+data too, and it works. There are not many application supporting it though.

--------------------
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Apr 29 2013, 14:35
Post #9

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Good old bin+cue can definitely replicate mixed CDs that have only one session, and I believe some applications extend this beyond its original specifications to cover multi-session CDs, too.

Of course, such formats read the disc in a ‘raw’ manner, and unless the program being used takes special care to copy the audio accurately, they give no guarantee of complete fidelity to the source.

Besides all this, there’s always the option of copying the individual sessions/modes/whatever into their respective non-image formats, but I guess then you need an additional file to describe their layout, which might contribute to people’s preference for using single-file images in such cases.
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Apr 29 2013, 17:11
Post #10

Member No.: 30694

Every musician thinks that they poop gold, that their albums are priceless and indivisible works of beauty and awe, and that everyone should listen to—and love—everything they've ever done. But if you don't like a song, you're not going to want to hear it. Some songs just aren't that good. So why indulge the whims of Monsieur Artiste? If you have no intention of listening to it, then either set up something where it is automatically skipped, or remove it from your playlists, or remove it from your files altogether. Don't feel guilty about it.

If you do get rid of the filler, though, make sure you do your album ReplayGain scan first. smile.gif
+Quote Post
bernhold
post May 3 2013, 14:10
Post #11

Member No.: 107330

But what if your taste of music changes very often? Mine does, and I tend to listen one genre/artist for weeks, thinking everything else I ever heard is crap (and deleting it). I think from now on, I'll keep the albums when at least one good song is on it. For the record, there's a foobar2000 plugin I found called "foo_skip", it will automatically skip songs with a low rating. This way, you can avoid disliked songs and keep them at the same time.
+Quote Post
slks
post May 4 2013, 07:27
Post #12

Member No.: 29046

5 or 7 years ago when space was tighter, I'd pick and choose tracks from so-so albums to archive. Then two things happened. First, I had a few albums where I regretted deleting the rest of the songs and ended up re-obtaining the album later, which was inconvenient. Second, disk space got cheaper and so less important (relatively).

So now, I'll usually keep an entire album, even if I only like a few songs from it.

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:52