Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC in Linux (Read 4839 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC in Linux

I want to play FLAC files on linux machine. Now, ripping and encoding isn't problem. I'll rip with cdparanoia and encode, of course, with flac encoder. But the problem is, in which program will I play FLAC files? I know for XMMS, but I really don't want to use and don't like that program. So, I need advice on FLAC player in Linux. On Windoze, I was using foobar2000.

P.S. And player, it doesn't have to run on X, it can be console based, it doesn't matter. Thanks.

FLAC in Linux

Reply #1
why don't you like xmms? with the crossfade plugin it can playback gapless and there are output plugins for every soundserver.

i don't know about a console based flac player, but usually you can decode every format with the commandline decoder and pipe the stream to wavplay or directly on your sound device like /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.

"flac -cd file.flac | /dev/audio" should work.

BadHorsie

FLAC in Linux

Reply #3
What might work for you depends on what you don't like about xmms, as it is the most popular.

There is a program called jreceiver  http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net/

which was originally written to host the Rio Receiver, but can playback through xmms or other local player.  It puts the user interface in your web browser and has an SQL database
of tracks so you can make playlists from tag searches. etc.

FLAC in Linux

Reply #4
You can also look for "flac123", a console player that looks like mpg123.

FLAC in Linux

Reply #5
There is a whole list of FLAC software on the main page, or you can try searching for FLAC on freshmeat.net.

Josh