Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can i enable 24 playback in xp ? (Read 3295 times) previous topic - next topic

can i enable 24 playback in xp ?

Hi

may  i ask a question ?
i did search a lot
well in my desktop i have windows 7 64 , on my laptop i had installed xp sp3 and tried windows 7 32
in the laptop there is a realtek hd

well same laptop , same audio card but under windows 7 i can set 24 playback and to be honest the music play better
under xp i did not find the option to enable the 24 playback

i update the realtek audio drivers  for w7 and xp but under w7 i have this screenshot , but under xp same drivers version , i haven't such option

i would like to keep on my laptop xp sp3 , is there a way to have such output?
i use a densen lik amp for my stereo

thanks
cheers

PS i borrow the screenshot because my w7 is not in english

Reply #1
Stop searching, you are confusing two different things.

The setting in Vista/7 just defines the preference for output when mixing, (which is done in legacy mme, directsound, and even wasapi in shared mode).

In your screenshot, a wav file ripped from a CD would play like this
(Player)Wav 44.1Khz 16bits -> (mixer) increase bit to 32bit, resampling to 96Khz, reduce bits to 24bits -> (Driver)reproduce. Generally it would not resample, but that really depends on the manufacturer.

In windows XP, the setup is:
(Player)Wav 44.1Khz 16bits -> (mixer) resample to a samplerate that the driver supports (this meant 48Khz with AC-97 soundcards) -> (Driver) reproduce. Some drivers used internal resampling on the hardware, others used software resampling in the drivers, and others used the resampler of Windows, which could be set to different qualities.
(For a 24bits one, if the driver supports it, the same path applies, so it is automatically 24bits).

In my Windows 7, I have the setting to 44.1Khz, 24bits, since i usually play music sampled at 44Khz, and the players might output at 16bits, 24 or 32bit, so I set to 24bits so that i don't degrade the higher bit-depth ones.
It does not improve at all the 16bit signals (except, maybe if the hardware or drivers do something different depending on the bitdepth).

Reply #2

Stop searching, you are confusing two different things.

The setting in Vista/7 just defines the preference for output when mixing, (which is done in legacy mme, directsound, and even wasapi in shared mode).

In your screenshot, a wav file ripped from a CD would play like this
(Player)Wav 44.1Khz 16bits -> (mixer) increase bit to 32bit, resampling to 96Khz, reduce bits to 24bits -> (Driver)reproduce. Generally it would not resample, but that really depends on the manufacturer.

In windows XP, the setup is:
(Player)Wav 44.1Khz 16bits -> (mixer) resample to a samplerate that the driver supports (this meant 48Khz with AC-97 soundcards) -> (Driver) reproduce. Some drivers used internal resampling on the hardware, others used software resampling in the drivers, and others used the resampler of Windows, which could be set to different qualities.
(For a 24bits one, if the driver supports it, the same path applies, so it is automatically 24bits).

In my Windows 7, I have the setting to 44.1Khz, 24bits, since i usually play music sampled at 44Khz, and the players might output at 16bits, 24 or 32bit, so I set to 24bits so that i don't degrade the higher bit-depth ones.
It does not improve at all the 16bit signals (except, maybe if the hardware or drivers do something different depending on the bitdepth).

thanks
i guess i did confuse the different thing
under xp have not setting for 44.1 and 24bit
but can i play with an output @ 24 or 32bit? how can i know it ? i mean that the output is @ 24 or 32bit
thanks for the kindness

Reply #3
In XP, if you are not playing any other sound and the application that you use allows to output at 24bits, then, the audio will pass as is (except if it requires resampling at the driver's end).

In other words, in XP it is more dependant on the application to use the correct output method (for example, its directsound to support 24bits) than to an OS setting.

Reply #4

In XP, if you are not playing any other sound and the application that you use allows to output at 24bits, then, the audio will pass as is (except if it requires resampling at the driver's end).

In other words, in XP it is more dependant on the application to use the correct output method (for example, its directsound to support 24bits) than to an OS setting.

thanks
for example foobard does ,i mean i can select 16 ,24 or 32 bit ,under xp

Reply #5

but i did some tests with the same drivers version and the same player
and under w7 music sounds better ,it's right?

thanks