Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Announcing DivX Fusion and the DivX Media Format (Read 8493 times) previous topic - next topic

Announcing DivX Fusion and the DivX Media Format

Today we are releasing through the DivX Labs website exciting new DivX technologies and products including:

* DivX Fusion Player
    * DivX Fusion Codec update
    * DivX Fusion SDK
    * DivX Media Format sample files

The DivX Media Format is the beginning of a new era of DivX video. Visit DivX Labs today for access to demo content and creation tools.

Note: this is a beta release, so kick the tires and let us know what you think.

thekid...
check out DivX Labs for the latest DivX Technology

Reply #1
Why oh why an extension to a dying container. You guys in the US should know the Indian saying about the dying horse, and what to do with it, better than us in the old world  .....

Reply #2
Is *.divx a new container? Or just the same avi but with renamed extension?

Reply #3
its an extension to AVI
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #4
Doom9 thread
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #5
the main movie and the audio streams are compliant to .avi
an .avi player will ignore the new stuff, like menus and subtitles, tough

its definitely not a new container developed from scratch, but avi extended with menus (defacto multiple video streams) and subtitles
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #6
Thanks for this answer.
It's an understandable choice. Old device are still compatible with new encodings, and new one access to new features.

Choosing a new container (like MP4, MKV...) probably allows more features, but also had a reverse side (breaking the compatibility with millions DVD players).

Reply #7
New Encodings are only going to be compatible with the DivX Player though (unless they open up the spec).  They should have gone with an exisiting standard like MPEG4, which can support menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc (although I'm not sure all of those are standard features, but it can, and has, been done)

Reply #8
Choosing a new container (like MP4, MKV...) probably allows more features, but also had a reverse side (breaking the compatibility with millions DVD players).

indeed, from my point of view it makes perfectly sense for dxn to stay with .avi and extend it to their needs

like MPEG4, which can support menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc (although I'm not sure all of those are standard features, but it can, and has, been done

all you listed is standardised in mpeg-4

Reply #9

indeed, from my point of view it makes perfectly sense for dxn to stay with .avi and extend it to their needs

alexnoe tested the new DivX N stuff, and it doesnt play on any known AVI player, also not in WMP. So where is the backwards compatibility ?

Reply #10
Either I or ChristianHJW is suffering from Alzheimer, and i'm pretty sure i'm not....

EDIT: I have said that this stuff can't play on anything, but I haven't tested anything either. It just can't play because those files are intentionally b0rked AVI files (chunk IDs changed etc, to intentionally prevent them from working on common AVI splitters)

Reply #11
this proves it too;
http://forums.divx.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=7...651&m=144101732

although DigitAl56K's answer should go
"Some changes were made _to break_ backwards compatibility. This is intentional"

heh...

there was .divx extension waay back (also in connection to player...'the playa'...i think divx version 4.something if i remember...).

i'm wondering what's making divx think it will fly this time?
also, doesn't this require a change of firmware on standalone divx players?

oh well..when you can't do much more with the codec itself, you wan't to add something.
i guess this is it.

Reply #12
Either I or ChristianHJW is suffering from Alzheimer, and i'm pretty sure i'm not....
... hard words to an old man  ...

EDIT: I have said that this stuff can't play on anything, but I haven't tested anything either. It just can't play because those files are intentionally b0rked AVI files (chunk IDs changed etc, to intentionally prevent them from working on common AVI splitters)

Right. I read up the IRC logs, the test weren't made by alexnoe but by StephanV. Still, the result is the same, those new DivX N files wont play on anything but their players ....

Reply #13
Christian

Read better in your logs. I only said the second segment, the HD portion, which i extracted with a hex editor, didnt work. As alexnoe said it has backwards chunk IDs which no AVI parser should have to handle. Currently Haali's splitter does though, because he has added support for 1idx and it ignores chunk IDs anyway (therefor Haali's splitter won't work with files that don't have an index.)

I fixed the second segment with my hex editor (find and replace) after which it played fine. I already asked DivX why they did this, and they say they did it to keep backwards compatibility with exisitng AVI parsers, which is complete BS:. I also changed the chunk IDs in the oroginal file which changed exactly nothing in the way it was played back by the players I tested.

The files play in WMP with the normal MS AVI splitter. It recognises the multiple audio stream and ignores the menus and subtitles. It also works in mplayer and Haali's splitter can even recognise the 2nd segment. It does NOT work with VLC (crashes) and gabest's AVI splitter (doesnt think its an AVI).

AVIMux GUI crashed once when trying to remux the AVI (although i have to find out what exactly causes it) and VirtualDub gives a bunch of funny errors about the subtitle streams since dwRate and dwScale are set to 0 for those streams, which causes a devision by 0 (live at VDub forums will be interesting again sometime soon i guess...)

So right now support for this is rather thin... and backwards compatibility, what does that mean anyway?
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #14
my findings are:
the main movie and the audio streams work with the default windows .avi splitter (which propably as good as all users use for .avi playback), i get no errors

vd also handles it (but gives wrong framerate errors for the subtitle streams, which it obviously cant handle)

Reply #15
Christian

Read better in your logs. I only said the second segment, the HD portion, which i extracted with a hex editor, didnt work. :snip:

The files play in WMP with the normal MS AVI splitter. It recognises the multiple audio stream and ignores the menus and subtitles. :snip:

Seems i really completely missed the point of the discussion that day    .... i am getting old    ....