Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replay Gain working inconsistently (Read 1863 times) previous topic - next topic

Replay Gain working inconsistently

Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing a strange problem with volume normalization running FB 1.1.15.
My playlist contains mainly MP3 files and some Flac files. All the files are tagged with ReplayGain to 94dB (track gain).
In general the volume is normalized properly.

What's happening is that sometimes a song from the list is played at a much lower volume then the previous song (seems like FB is ignoring the Gain info).
When I play the song again the volume is normalized.I can't seem to recreate the problem directly.
Sometimes it happens more often (every few songs) and sometimes it can happen 4-5 times a day.

Also it seems to be occurring on two different machines - both ASUS EEEBOX 1007B PC's running very similar configurations.

Any ideas / help will be much appreciated! I've been knocking away at this one for a few weeks now.

Thanks,
Jon

Reply #1
What are your settings in the Playback page of the preferences?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #3
Turn off "prevent clipping" in the processing and use the Advanced Limiter to your DSP instead. That should provide more consistent volume level for very dynamic tracks.

You could also rescan and retag your tracks using fb2k which will target your tracks for the standard 89db. That would give you more headroom for the dynamic tracks you have that must be getting raised to point of being in danger of clipping.
elevatorladylevitateme