Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

[POLL]Which is your choice(waveOut/DirectSound)?

waveOut
[ 10 ] (13%)
DirectSound
[ 67 ] (87%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Topic: [POLL]Which is your choice(waveOut/DirectSound)? (Read 8841 times) previous topic - next topic

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Please write down your reason and system.[/span]

Reply #1
On W2K or Windows XP both waveOut and DirectSound are inadequate since they both route the PCM samples via kmixer which modifies them in the process.

Your best bet is using a sound card with ASIO drivers or wait for kernel streaming!

Cheers

Thomas

Reply #2
I have no favourite since they are both resampled in the end. So I don't think it matters too much...

Reply #3
[deleted]

Reply #4
It seems DirectSound uses less CPU. :-/

XP and Extigy.

i use extigy too

do u resample?

Reply #5
DirectSound, Windows XP SP1 with Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, kX drivers v 5.10.0.3528. Reason being that it is the faster option and preferred default for NT5 systems.

Reply #6
I have no favourite since they are both resampled in the end. So I don't think it matters too much...

Yup, I had this problem too, resample, hey anyone knows how to disable the resample switch or something..........

My Creative SBPCI seems to be converting all output to 48 kHz!
Casusing troubles!
Loss some fidelity and now I'm searching for resampler DSP for winamp!

Reply #7
On my system (WinXP home, ShitBlaster Dead! 5.1 w/ shitty Polk Audio 5.1 systme) if i use wave_out it only plays only front speakers and bass seems weeker over subwoofer, so i use directsound. wtf is ASIO drivers?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #8
On my system (WinXP home, ShitBlaster Dead! 5.1 w/ shitty Polk Audio 5.1 systme) if i use wave_out it only plays only front speakers and bass seems weeker over subwoofer, so i use directsound. wtf is ASIO drivers?

ASIO - Audio Stream Input Output. A multi-channel audio transfer protocol developed by Steinberg.

I use Audigy SB0092 + Inspire 5300, kX 3528, XP SP1 and prefer DirectSound (less processor usage).
I don't resample, leaving it to HW.

Reply #9
DirecSound because it is Windows 2000 and it handles DirectSound better, no resampling.

Reply #10
waveOut on WinXP because my soundcard (Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe) has poor drivers. DirectSound output sounds like 4 bit/11kHz and there doesn't appear to be any settings I can change to make it better. Patiently waiting for WDM driver.  The card has ASIO support, but FB2k doesn't, right?

-- Uosdwis

Reply #11
DirectSound because it plays perfectly gapless.
If you have a good soundcard than you have the option to select "Wave S/PDIF", this way the kmixer is not used.
Or use the ASIO plug-in if your card supports it.

Reply #12
If you have a good soundcard than you have the option to select "Wave S/PDIF", this way the kmixer is not used.

Kmixer effect will happen also in SPDIF outputs. Selecting SPDIF you bypass soundcard D/A converters, but the data that arrives to your external converters will be the same that would get into your soundcard converters using the regular analog output.

Reply #13

Where do you find the option to do this?  Is it in the soundcard drivers settings or in WXP settings somewhere?  What do you consider a "good" soundcard that has this option?

BTW....I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and seems to sound OK to me.  I can't tell the difference between waveout or directsound.

Reply #14
DirectSound. It's perfect for my W2K and SB PCI 128 

Reply #15
Direct Sound, i have Win2k with the normal creative drivers for my soundblaster 5.1, don't know if this soundboard supports Asio, i use Direct Sound because of the less usage
Made in Portugal

Reply #16
On my soundcard(Diamond S100/ess1167 driver/win xp) I feel waveOut is clearer then DirectSound. And I don't know why DirectSound is the default setting in fb2k. So that I post this poll. Now I know it, may be DirectSound is better at most soundcard.

Thanks

Reply #17
And I don't know why DirectSound is the default setting in fb2k. So that I post this poll. Now I know it, may be DirectSound is better at most soundcard.

Thanks

It is beacause Win2k/XP has very good DirectSound implemenation, which uses less CPU than waveOut.

Reply #18
I’m using foobar (which is the most "audiophile" player known to me) on my ape and mpc files via direct sound output on my XP machine with a terratex EWX 24/96 soundcard. I indeed agree that the cpu usage is a little bit lower compared to wave out (0% against 0-1% ; athlon 1800XP), but I’m wondering if the direct sound is the best choice with my soundcard since it’s a full 24 bit card with good D/A converters and allows sampling rate up to 96 kHz. Further this card does not have any kind of internal (hardware) mixing mode.
So my question is should I use direct out (it “goes” to the wave analog driver; checked in the Dxdiag - box) or wave out (than I can choose for the wave analog or wave S/PDIF) ?
I hope that some of you have any suggestions….. 

PS. specs. XP (athlon 1700XP, 512 ddr), EWX 24/96, marantz 80mkII, monitor audio Studio 2 SE

Reply #19
and....how can i use the ASIO plugin in foobar2000 ???

i have just downloaded this plugin but i think it's only fow winamp2..... or not??

thanks ...

Reply #20

Yeah, but this is Foobar forum, not W****p  Any volunteers to implement foo_asio.dll? 

Reply #21

Yeah, but this is Foobar forum, not W****p  Any volunteers to implement foo_asio.dll? 

ah ok...so i have understood well ....this plugin is only for w*****p and not for foobar2000.... i havent clear why post it here...... 

Reply #22

ah ok...so i have understood well ....this plugin is only for w*****p and not for foobar2000.... i havent clear why post it here...... 

Sorry, My mistake.

Reply #23

Not sure if it can be made for fb2k too, maybe someone should e-mail Otachan, the plugin autor (he makes plugins for various players, why wouldn't he do the same for fb2k)?

Reply #24
WaveOut doesn't work on my system, so DirectSound would be better for me. But it would be even better if ASIO would be supported.
I use XP (Pro) with a soundblaster live value and a TerraTec EWS88 MT.