Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pre Amp/Receiver for Stereo (Read 5854 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre Amp/Receiver for Stereo

Hi Guys!

Would you be willing to recommend a decent (nothing fancy) pre amp/receiver with remote control to be used with active monitors?

Remote control mandatory.
If its depth is not too much that would be helpful as well for wife acceptance reasons...

And if the volume is shown on a display, I consider it cool. 

Thanks in advance for helping me out here.

Stephan

Reply #1
Just to help narrow things down a bit: does it need to have an AM/FM tuner (receiver), or is just a pre-amp sufficient?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
A tuner is a nice goodie, but if it doesn't have one, I wouldn't mind too much.

Reply #3
Hi Guys!

Would you be willing to recommend a decent (nothing fancy) pre amp/receiver with remote control to be used with active monitors?

If its depth is not too much that would be helpful as well for wife acceptance reasons...

Why do you need a whole receiver including power amps, if you are using powered speakers?

You've already said that you aren't sure about the receiver's FM tuner, as well.

??????????

Reply #4

If you have a TV with multiple inputs and pre-amp outs, that would cover the remote, volume display, and minimal depth (if a flat panel). 

Reply #5
Why do you need a whole receiver including power amps, if you are using powered speakers?

You've already said that you aren't sure about the receiver's FM tuner, as well.

??????????

I assume decoding. Unless you wanna go with a boutique processor which will run you much pricier than a regular AVR, an all-integrated AVR is still a more economical decision. Same way nowadays it's cheaper or about the same to buy a 5.1 receiver than a 2.0 one even if you're only running stereo.

Reply #6
Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance for helping me out here.

Stephan

Unfortunately it appears you'll have to look around hard to find a cheap one, cause nowadays low/mid-end receivers have taken out the multichannel pre-outs for the most part. Unless you want stereo only?

Reply #7
Need more info:

How many inputs do you need?

Do you need remote control for switching inputs, or only remote volume control?

I almost hesitate to ask this, but: Does it need to have a phono preamp or are you looking only for a line level device?

Do you expect tone and/or balance controls, or are they not necessary?

Reply #8
I thought about an AV receiver because it is not an high-end solution - i.e. you can get okish value for money.

Basically all I need is three inputs, no tone controls, no phono etc. and a nice remote to change the volume.

If I can get room correction network connectivity and the like to play around with, why not? But it's not required. I would pay a couple of dollars/euros more, but not too much. 

Stereo only is ok, but I think I want a subwoofer for the low end.

Thanks for your time and patience. It is appreciated!

Reply #9
I think any low-midrange receiver from your favorite consumer brand (i.e. Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.) will do just fine, just make sure it has stereo pre outputs at the very least.

What's your source, BTW, and what kind of connection would you use (analog, SPDIF)?

Reply #10
I think any low-midrange receiver from your favorite consumer brand (i.e. Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.) will do just fine, just make sure it has stereo pre outputs at the very least.

He may not even need that, if he's willing to plug an adapter into the front panel headphone jack, in lieu of a true pre-out. Maybe not ideal, but it works in a pinch and opens up the possible candidates greatly. [Since I think pre-outs on introductory units are not that common these days and will limit his selection greatly. The situation is similar to how , as was mentioned, he should consider surround sound designs even if he only needs stereo, since they don't really cost more , oddly, yet can be used as stereo only units, without a problem.]

Reply #11
Stereo pre-outs are still common, the cheapest Pioneer for instance has them, from a quick look.

He wants a remote and volume display, btw.

Reply #12
^To the best of my knowledge Pioneer doesn't make any stereo receivers any more, but assuming you mean the introductory VSX521 surround receiver, it has pre-outs for the subwoofer, surround back, and front height only, but not the main stereo signal, which he needs obviously [unless you use the headphone jack trick I mentioned.] The current, introductory Sony, Onkyo, and Yamaha stereo receivers similarly lack stereo pre outs. Moving up to the $300 - $500 price range finds stereo preouts on Denon, Marantz, and NAD.
---

I take it you mean the unit's front panel, illuminated display, not a TV screen, right?
[Usually shown on a TV/video monitor's screen it is called "OSD" for "on screen display".]

Reply #13
^To the best of my knowledge Pioneer doesn't make any stereo receivers any more, but assuming you mean the introductory VSX521 surround receiver, it has pre-outs for the subwoofer, surround back, and front height only

Look to the very left of the Surr Back/Front height output, there are two stereo outs. Similarly the cheapest current Sonys have it, including a stereo receiver that's selling for about $100 from googling.

I'm not sure if these outputs would be "monitor" type though which are just passthroughs.

Reply #14
Those are both "tape outs" ("DVR/BDR" and "CD-R/TAPE"), i.e. fixed line-level outputs of the currently-selected source.

There actually *was* a unit that could do exactly what the OP wants - the Audio Alchemy DLC.

I've had one for about 15 years now, and it's a unique little box: less than half-rack in size, four line-level inputs, two sets of outputs, and not a single button on the unit - entirely run from the remote, which you do *not* misplace as it has an all-metal body with a milled aluminum faceplate and buttons about the size of nickels.

The entire front panel consists of four LEDs to indicate the currently-selected source, one for power, one for mute, and then two roughly 0.75-inch tall red 2-digit LED readouts of the volume level in either percent (0-99) or dB (both gain and attenuation) - they're easily readable from 20+ feet away.  The whole thing is pretty much the definition of minimalism.

@ OP:  If you can find one used - big "if" - it would do exactly what you need, and be about as inconspicuous as possible...except for the volume display.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."