Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampling - Audioengine A5+ with Audioengine D1 DAC (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

Resampling - Audioengine A5+ with Audioengine D1 DAC

Hi guys,

I decided to splash out the other day and bought myself a pair of A5+ with a D1 DAC. They do sound great but i have a few questions.

I am using USB currently and am connected via the DAC. I have set windows 7 sample rate and bit depth shared setting to 24bit/96000hz (as supported by the D1 via USB) and I use foobar with WASAPI event style. I notice that a lot of the FLACs I listen to have a sample rate of 44100Hz. My aim is to get the most out of the speakers...quality wise.

1) Does changing windows setting to 96000hz result in resampling and quality loss using a DAC, or is that what a DAC is used for? Foobar reports 44100hz at the bottom left regardless. Shall I change windows setting to 24/44100?

2) As for movies, I use wmp with ffdshow to decode audio, would it be advisable to change settings to resample the sample rate and bit setting to 24bit or just leave it at default? Does the setting I changed in windows come into effect or do i need to use a player which utilises wasapi and can be given exclusivity?

I would like to utilise the speakers to their fullest and would like to know your take on things.

Thanks

PS the only settings i have changed on foobar is output to wasapi and output format to 24bit

Reply #1
If all your audio is 44.1khz, I would run at that sampling rate.  Good quality resampling is generally transparent, but if you can run at 44.1k, might as well use that.

24 bit probably won't make much difference, but I would definitely use it.

Reply #2
Since you use WASAPI, (and foobar's implementation uses the direct method, not the shared method), the Windows resampling setting is completely ignored, since it talks directly to the driver.

So, if you usually play your audio files with foobar, and your DVD's with WMP, I would use 24bit 48Khz in windows. Using 96Khz shouldn't do any harm either, but if this is all your audio needs, it's innecessary to have it in any other way.

Reply #3
thanks guys. I have found a program called reclock which enables wasapi use in MPC-BE. Great stuff