Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does my DAC convert USB to S/PDIF? (Read 3479 times) previous topic - next topic

Does my DAC convert USB to S/PDIF?

Hi. And thanks for reading this post.

My dac's usb input has stopped working but the optical and coaxial are still fine.

Looking inside there is a small circuit board on the back of the usb input which has a burn mark on it. Seems as though this has gone bad, so am wondering if i should buy an external usb to spdif converter and come in through the coaxial input instead.

Am wondering, within a dac, does the usb signal get converted to spdif, then fed to the coaxial input,
in other words the dac does not use the usb signal directly
but converts it into spdif, then uses that.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Reply #1
You did not say what DAC model you have but almost certainly the audio signal received from USB goes directly to the DAC chip.

Reply #2
Hi. And thanks for reading this post.

My dac's usb input has stopped working but the optical and coaxial are still fine.

Looking inside there is a small circuit board on the back of the usb input which has a burn mark on it. Seems as though this has gone bad, so am wondering if i should buy an external usb to spdif converter and come in through the coaxial input instead.

Am wondering, within a dac, does the usb signal get converted to spdif, then fed to the coaxial input,
in other words the dac does not use the usb signal directly
but converts it into spdif, then uses that.

Hope that makes sense.

Conceptually the processing is as you say, but as John11 says, that all usually happens in the same chip, so things look like what he observes.

You can buy cheap USB DACs that have toslink outputs and thus exploit your presumably expensive DAC.  Behringer's  UCA 202 is one such thing for about $30.

You can see the optical output in this picture:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

Reply #3
Hi Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I wasn't totally honest in my last post.

Honest truth is i wanted to try out a usb to spdif converter Have heard a lot of good stuff that they improve sound quality rather than using the dac's usb input but the wife keeps nagging saying i've got too much hi-fi stuff as it is and i should get rid of some.

But with the usb input burnt out i have got an excuse

What do you think i should do.

1. Have the usb input repaired (@ $40  per hour + Parts + Vat )

2. Can pick up the M2Tech HiFace One version 2  for $50 (Used ) RRP: $180

Which option would give the better sound quality.

I have the Zero dac from 2008, these older dacs seem to respond well to spdif converters, something about usb technology improving.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Reply #4
Honest truth is i wanted to try out a usb to spdif converter Have heard a lot of good stuff that they improve sound quality rather than using the dac's usb input but the wife keeps nagging saying i've got too much hi-fi stuff as it is and i should get rid of some.

If that usb to spdif converter is changing the sound in any way then it is doing it wrong.

Reply #5
If that usb to spdif converter is changing the sound in any way then it is doing it wrong.

About the only thing that might change is the amount of jitter, but I am not claiming that it would make it better or make it worse, or that the difference would be audible.

Reply #6
As it is a 2008 model, I wouldn't be surprised the USB is a simple 16/48 adaptive mode reciever.
Possible the HiFace improves on it technically.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #7

Hi Thanks for the replies.

I am going to pick up the hiface today, its only 50 notes, so probably can resell it if worse comes to worst.

Will post up the results in a day or two after i have finished evaluating.

Many thanks. John.