Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossy Audio Tester (Windows batch script) (Read 4929 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossy Audio Tester (Windows batch script)

This script can convert .wav, .flac, .ape (monkey's audio), .tak and .wv (wavpack) files into Ogg Vorbis, LAME Mp3, Musepack, Nero AAC and Opus files at variety of bitrates in one run. This is usefull for testing purposes.

Except script itself this package also includes:
- decoders: Flac (flac.exe), Tak (Takc.exe) and Wavpack (wvunpack.exe);
- encoders: Opus (opusenc.exe), Musepack (mpcenc.exe), Ogg Vorbis (oggenc2.exe);
(these files are stored in "Tools" directory)
- one input test file (test.flac - the same as here) inside "Input" directory.

Ape decoder - file MAC.EXE - can be found here: www.monkeysaudio.com/download.html
Mp3 LAME encoder - file lame.exe - can be found www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php
Nero AAC encoder - file neroAacEnc.exe - can be found here: www.nero.com/eng/technologies-aac-codec.html
These files also need to be placed in "Tools" directory.

Usage:
- place input files (wav, flac, ape, tak or wv) into "Input" directory;
- run the file "LossyAudioTester.bat";
- follow instructions on the screen;
- ouput files will be placed into "Output" directory.
Encode options can be changed inside of the script itself.

This script is open source freeware, so everyone who wants, can modify/improve and use it as he wants. I am not going to give [longterm] support to it. 

Reply #1
Hooray for softrunner!

This is a really nice tool - thank you very much. I have often wished for something like this.
And since you have written all this inside a batch file, I guess it will be easy to add even more codecs :-)

All the best
D.

Reply #2
I have fixed some bugs and updated Opus encoder to the latest 1.2-alpha. New version is here.

Reply #3
This script can convert .wav, .flac, .ape (monkey's audio), .tak and .wv (wavpack) files into Ogg Vorbis, LAME Mp3, Musepack, Nero AAC and Opus files at variety of bitrates in one run. This is usefull for testing purposes.

This script can also be useful for the frequently asked question of, "What bitrate is best?" I think it could be adapted to outputting muliple encodes of different "Q" bitrates into different subfolders to run overnight (i.e. LAME at -V5, -V3, -V2). This would give users a tangible indication of the space consumed from their material at different Q settings and definitively show how much higher Q levels consume space, then they may decide whether or not the extra file size is worth it. And the best part is that lossless-to-lossy conversions are accommodated.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"