Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How bad did I mess up? (Read 2278 times) previous topic - next topic

How bad did I mess up?

Well, from recommendations from other sites, I decided to rip my CD collection with the LAME encoder through a third party app.  All seemed to go fine until I find this forum and realize that I used an alpha version (3.97a7, I believe).  All I did was encode using standard settings at 192 CBR.  Realizing now what I did was use a testing only version has me really worried...or should I not be?

I guess what I'm looking for is some users with knowledge that can either say:
1. Nice going moron they will sound like crap!
or
2. Well, since you only used a CBR setting through a third party app you should be fine and don't worry about it.

I ripped through hundreds of CDs!!!

Thanks for any help

How bad did I mess up?

Reply #1
The 3.97alpha-series was one of those cases, where the alpha was apparently better than the stable-version (thus, the later 3.97alphas were considered better than 3.96). So, in this case you just striked lucky :)

Thus, soundquality will probably be okay - inside of the limits of CBR (VBR will result in more reliable/constant quality - but there are some rare cases where crappy hardwareplayers cant play VBR).

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

How bad did I mess up?

Reply #2
Thanks for the feedback!

I chose CBR strictly for compatability reasons, as you mentioned.  Plus, I wasn't looking for the highest quality, just something that would sound decent (otherwise I would've gone lossless).

Upon coming here I read through many threads about LAME and the alpha versions.  I was just afraid that my songs would have horrible artifacts making everything I did worthless.