Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Songs won't play Gaplessly (Read 1312 times) previous topic - next topic

Songs won't play Gaplessly

For some reason, there's silence between tracks that I know are supposed to be gapless. They just stop playing and starting again. It's extremely annoying. I don't know what to do about it. There's no silence in the actual tracks, they just won't play back-to-back. I got foobar exactly for this reason, because I was told that foobar supports gapless. I don't see any options anywhere for it, either.

Reply #1
foobar2000 is gapless: it decodes the files with the length they report without removing or adding any silence between the tracks. There are file formats that are inherently incapable of being gapless and some encoders can make bad files even for formats where it's supported. There are DSPs that can try to remove the gaps but using proper files is always a better option.

Reply #2
Follow the rules of this subforum by actually describing your (apparent) problem with specific details.

What format are these files in? With which encoder did you create them? Why did it not provide an option for gapless playback? etc.

Also, it should go without saying that one should disable cross-fading for gapless playback; this may or may not be related in your case.

Reply #3
I had a skipping-on-track-boundaries problem around foobar2000 version 1.2, and I was not the only one (I don't find that thread in fifteen seconds, though). Fixed it by tweaking buffer size, but problem seems to have disappeared at 1.23 or earlier. First attempt: upgrade to the most recent.