Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_touchremote - Remote control for iPhone/iPod Touch (Read 142894 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_touchremote - Remote control for iPhone/iPod Touch

iPhone Remote support plugin (foo_touchremote) is an implementation of DACP server for foobar2000. The key feature of Apple’s version of DAAP is using Bonjour for discovery, so you need Bonjour Service (usually you already have one installed with iTunes).

Quick Start: Download Apple's "Remote" app from the appstore. Install component, go to the plugin settings page and pair with your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Try foo_touchremote 0.1.2.1 now!

Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #1
Great plug-in! Surprisingly fast on the iPhone side of things.

Reply #2
This is a great addition, but I do have a question...

Where do I put the script that I would like to use for the 'Artist' sorting on my iTouch, i.e. I have it sorting by ArtistSortOrder (Artist Last Name First), and have subtracted 'The' in band names.  Works on the PC, but on the iTouch, it does not sort the same way. Is there a place to reset this?

Thanks!

Reply #3
Where do I put the script that I would like to use for the 'Artist' sorting on my iTouch, i.e. I have it sorting by ArtistSortOrder (Artist Last Name First), and have subtracted 'The' in band names.  Works on the PC, but on the iTouch, it does not sort the same way. Is there a place to reset this?

Probably not, but you can mail the author to include custom sorting. I think that's doable  Link is in the first post.

Reply #4
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Reply #5
Thanks so much! The remote function is the only reason I had iTunes still installed, and this works so much better with my library set up. Thank you!

Reply #6
OK let's start here again :-)

Hey great tool :-) [hope this is the correct thread]
Just two comments:

a) bug? directly after selecting a play list and pressing “random order” (displayed on top of the list content) foobar crashes (0.1.2.1 foo_touchremote, foobar 1.01, already has random order selected)

b) search results are much less than in foobar’s search. maybe because “title” or “filename” is not included in search? Hint: missing files are ape, wav or flac or titles given within a cue sheet only.

Anyway, absolutely great and I certainly will continue donating… Thank you.

Reply #7
This looks pretty promising. It appears to work well, sometimes it has a hard time connecting to the library and times out, but otherwise it appears to work great.

Do u know of any video players for windows that work with the ipod remote other than itunes?

Reply #8
This looks pretty promising. It appears to work well, sometimes it has a hard time connecting to the library and times out, but otherwise it appears to work great.

Thanks for confirming - I thought it was just my wifi-connection  Anyway, I'm not the dev, so maybe you should try sending him an email.

Do u know of any video players for windows that work with the ipod remote other than itunes?

No, but PlugPlayer app will stream UPNP/DLNA content from a media streamer

Reply #9
Thanks for confirming - I thought it was just my wifi-connection  Anyway, I'm not the dev, so maybe you should try sending him an email.

No worries. It seems to have "fixed itself" after i resynced it. It seems to connect to the foobar library aboot a second after the wifi

No, but PlugPlayer app will stream UPNP/DLNA content from a media streamer

Sounds interesting, but if im within range of my wireless network, the last thing i'd watch vids on is my ipod touch. It makes an excellent remote control though!

edit: on the other hand, it might be interesting to try streaming vids over my vpn. i dont know if my upload throughput would handle it well though.

Reply #10
b) search results are much less than in foobar’s search. maybe because “title” or “filename” is not included in search? Hint: missing files are ape, wav or flac or titles given within a cue sheet only.

OK, no response, but I got it going: I forgot to remove "*.cue" exclusion from foobar settings.

Reply #11
as anything that relies on bonjour for pairing, if your wifi is behind a router it won't find your iphone ... too bad

Reply #12
Awesome plug in!

Works perfectly with my large library and multiple playlists.

Kudos (and support donations) to the author.

Reply #13
Is it just me or does it make foobar2000 crash every time you press the "Shuffle"-item instead of a certain track?

Reply #14
as anything that relies on bonjour for pairing, if your wifi is behind a router it won't find your iphone ... too bad

Well, don't make this sound like a limitation of Bonjour - It's a basic limitation on network routing.

A router takes IP-address and allows a different network to communicate out through this one IP. If you want to access anything behind this router (on the different network) you will need to tell the router which of the local IP's you want to communicate with, the protocol and which port number. This is called a NAT translation.

The Bonjour networking protocol sends and receives network packets on UDP port 5353.

It seems quite odd to me that you have placed your wifi BEHIND a router... Unless you do it from a security point of view?

Reply #15
I've tried this component on about 3 seperate occasions but every time I've had this bug show up every time foobar started;

Reason: The specified procedure could not be found. foo_touchremote

and since there isn't an official thread, there wasn't anyone to query to try and find a solution.

I found one other user who had the same problem via google but there was no fix posted. Has anyone else had this happen?

Reply #16
I've tried this component on about 3 seperate occasions but every time I've had this bug show up every time foobar started;

Reason: The specified procedure could not be found. foo_touchremote

Have you installed the Bonjour service?

and since there isn't an official thread, there wasn't anyone to query to try and find a solution.

If you have a problem with this component, mail the author. His email address can be found on the webpage, linked to in the first post.

Reply #17
this plugin has stopped working for me after the latest itunes update. the 4-digit passcode thing seems to work, but then the remote app sits there "looking for library" until it eventually times out.
just curious if anyone else is having the same problem or knows how to fix it.

Reply #18
this plugin has stopped working for me after the latest itunes update. the 4-digit passcode thing seems to work, but then the remote app sits there "looking for library" until it eventually times out.
just curious if anyone else is having the same problem or knows how to fix it.

Same here, but I wonder if it's iTunes, because I just installed Bonjour - Nothing else. However, I know that Microsoft forced some updates on the foobar2000-PC/server, maybe it could be those?

Reply #19
However, I know that Microsoft forced some updates on the foobar2000-PC/server, maybe it could be those?

Since Microsoft's security update MS10-021 from April 2010 (KB979683) some programs cannot locate the user profile folder anymore.

I don't use iTunes and foo_touchremote, so I do not know the architecture of this software, but you could uninstall this update to see whether it is the culprit.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #20
Can confirm that it's the latest I-Tunes  update , no longer working on PC with I-tunes installed update applied but still okay on my laptop which only has Bonjour installed.

Reply #21
Removed MS patch  , no difference - Definatelylooks like the I-Tunes update

Reply #22
I also only use Bonjour. iTunes has never been near the PC with foobar2000 on. Also Bonjour doesn't seem to be updated - The files are dated 2008-12-12!

Reply #23
Very odd , will try and ckeck out more tomorrow.

Reply #24
Same problem here. I loaded the plugin for the first time on Friday evening, and it worked perfectly. On Saturday morning the iPhone remote can't find the library. I am using only Bonjour, no iTunes, and have not installed any Windows updates (I have them intentionally disabled). The only variable is that I loaded a large new directory into Foobar's library, but even after reverting to my library's "test config" it's still not working. Very odd indeed.....