Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How would you test real-time encoding/decoding? (Read 5976 times) previous topic - next topic

How would you test real-time encoding/decoding?

I've been gaining interest in real-time media playback, and I was thinking of what would be needed to test/compare various audio codecs (both lossless and lossy) at realtime encoding/decoding.

Which lossless/lossy codecs support streaming? I wouldn't actually perform any streaming, since the network component would introduce some variables not tied to the encoders/decoders themselves.  But I would do the encode and decode (separately) and save those metrics.

How do you determine/force real-time encoding and decoding? How much of a buffer/delay is acceptable for real-time?

If can force real-time encoding/decoding in lossy codecs, what kinds of comparisons would you do? Compression efficiency? Quality? Could VBR, VBR-Peak, or ABR be used with confidence?

Reply #1
By "real-time", do you mean

1) Able to encode/decode at least as fast as the media plays back.

2) Able to perform the calculations within a predictable amount of time. (classic definition of "real time" in computing terminology)

Reply #2
By "real-time", do you mean

1) Able to encode/decode at least as fast as the media plays back.

2) Able to perform the calculations within a predictable amount of time. (classic definition of "real time" in computing terminology)

#1 would be the minimum.  Regarding #2, I suppose predictability beyond "fast enough" could be a set of comparable metrics.

I'm having a hard time deciding a test which would provide useful comparison data.  Usually listening tests are based around a kbps range.