Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: eac not responding on last track (Read 3724 times) previous topic - next topic

eac not responding on last track

Hi

I have an intermittent problem in EAC which occurs with about 1 in 10 rips. I am running Windows XP which is up to date and EAC V0.95 beta 4. At 99.99% of ripping the final track EAC just hangs. No matter how long you leave it, it remains like this. This program says its not responding but you can't end task. The only way to kill it off is to power down the pc.

Is this a common fault? I thought it may have something to do with setting of the drive offsets. I have checked these with Accurate rip and they are correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply #1
A common occurence with drives that cannot read from the lead-out, when the Read from the lead-in and lead-out option is enabled.

Reply #2
I have that stalling problem with EAC and I don't have Lead-In and Lead-Out selected, my JLMS drive is properly configured. I was only able to reduce it by say 95%-99% by selecting an extraction speed of no higher than 20.0 X. CDex however does the same thing if I select an extraction speed higher than 20.0 X.

In my situation I'm almost thinking my drive is on the way out, or nearing it's last leg because it didn't have that particular problem previously.

Reply #3
I had acheck and i don't have the Read from lead-in and lead-out option enabled for either of my drives.

Reply #4
Maybe switching to SPTI or Nero ASPI would help.

Reply #5
In my situation it isn't dependent on the ASPI driver/layer used, I've tried them all or all that I know of. The problem is reproducable with WinXP's SPTI, Vob ASAPI, Nero ASPI Library, and Adaptec ASPI Driver. So for my situation I've come to the conclusion that it's probably the fault of the drive itself, or it's firmware version which hasn't had a new version released since 7 October 2004.

Anyways when the new high capacity DVD formats Blu-Ray, and I forget what the other one is called are released I'll probably ditch my JLMS drive in favour of one of them. The JLMS drive is annoying because it periodically get's stuck in PIO only mode and is sometimes difficult to get back into Ultra DMA mode.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Reply #6
it periodically get's stuck in PIO only mode and is sometimes difficult to get back into Ultra DMA mode.

It happens when IDE cable is damaged - IDE drivers detect too many transfer errors between controller and the drive and switch it to PIO mode for safety sake. You should get a new cable.