Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: libebur128 - (yet another) EBU R 128 implementation (Read 155928 times) previous topic - next topic

libebur128 - (yet another) EBU R 128 implementation

Reply #150
::

Windows XP SP3: Can't get it to work with .m4a-files.

"r128-scanner.exe" -p all *.m4a

cmd.exe:
Code: [Select]
nan LUFS, sample peak: 0.00000000, true peak: 0.00000000, true peak: -inf dBTP, 01 I'm Dat Chick.m4a
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-inf LUFS, sample peak: 0.00000000, true peak: 0.00000000, true peak: -inf dBTP

Greetings ...

Reply #151
When tagging mp3 files already tagged with ID3v2.4 tags, the scanner is adding ID3v1 tags according to foobar2000. A few posts back you mentioned that the scanner should always be writing ID3v2 tags - are you sure that's the case?

Apart from that; fantastic work with the library and scanner!

Reply #152
is there an OS X bin? or a short guide on how to compile this with ffmpeg from git perhaps?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #153

Hello Raiden,

I like to point out to this post:
R128GAIN Version 0.8.7 released
pbelkner implemented new histogram based statistics for his scanner (... don't know if this is of some interest for libEbuR128?).
Will there be new release in the near future?

Greetings ...

Reply #154
Would this be a good library to use for setting DRC data in FFmpeg/Libav's AC3 and AAC encoders?

As far as I can tell nobody has implemented EBU R 128 in an encoder yet.

Reply #155
Many questions - no answers. And the link to the program sources seems to be dead...
Does anybody know, how the state of this project is?

Reply #156
seem fine to me (after concluding that this is not only library but also executable scanner/tagger/analyser)

https://github.com/jiixyj/libebur128

Reply #157
I see - libebur128 obviously has moved to a new location. I did try "http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0035293/libebur128.html"...

At the new project page the download links don't seem to work either. But it's good to know that work is in progress :-)

Reply #158
The new home is at https://github.com/jiixyj/libebur128 since my university decided to shut down all user pages. 
Hopefully I'll get some binary builds up soon.

Windows XP SP3: Can't get it to work with .m4a-files.

Support for tagging MP4/M4A should be in the newest git version.

When tagging mp3 files already tagged with ID3v2.4 tags, the scanner is adding ID3v1 tags according to foobar2000.

Yes, you are right! This is fixed now. Now the only thing that is done is modifying/adding a ID3v2 tag.

Reply #159
Yes, you are right! This is fixed now. Now the only thing that is done is modifying/adding a ID3v2 tag.

Excellent! Thank you

Reply #160
I tried compiling the sources from the git site. Compiling the scanner fails with:

[ 36%] Building C object scanner/CMakeFiles/loudness.dir/scanner.c.o
[...]/jiixyj-libebur128-29abd7b/scanner/scanner.c:11:22: error: filetree.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

There are some more reported errors - maybe as a consequence of the quoted one above- that I may post if needed.

Reply #161
Aafter clone run:

git submodule init
git submodule update

in the root folder.

Reply #162
O.K.; I was trying the package on the "download" tab. Using the git version with your hint works - THX

Reply #165
Hi to all,

in the latest version of libebur128 the calculation of peak levels doesn't work properly. It only offers an option for "sample" peaks. The options "dbtp", "true" and "all" are no longer recognized. They are also not mentioned when using "--help".

loudness scan -p true hot_number.mp3
Invalid argument to --peak!

The use of "loudness scan -p sample [file]" seems to print the true peak value - at least it may show values > 1. In my opinion a value for sample peaks cannot be greater than 1, can they?

Loudness, Sample peak                                                       
-9,8 LUFS,    1,028400, gtbsdr3.mp3

Reply #166
in the latest version of libebur128 the calculation of peak levels doesn't work properly. It only offers an option for "sample" peaks. The options "dbtp", "true" and "all" are no longer recognized. They are also not mentioned when using "--help".

Which version is the latest to you? I ask because I had a similar problem, but it was fixed for me by commit 679828, of January 4th.

Reply #167
Which version is the latest to you?

I made a download the day before I wrote this. I used the "git" tool as described in the README.md

I ask because I had a similar problem, but it was fixed for me by commit 679828, of January 4th.

Can you tell me where I do find any version information in that git-created "libebur128" folder? - But anyway: I just had another download/compile run, but the output of the newly compiled "loudness" in the build directory is still as shown...

Reply #168
Can you tell me where I do find any version information in that git-created "libebur128" folder? - But anyway: I just had another download/compile run, but the output of the newly compiled "loudness" in the build directory is still as shown...

git log
will show the commits that are included (newest first).

But I had assumed that it used to work for you before. If this is your first try, the most probable cause is that you don't have the speexdsp library (or its header files) installed. The ebur128 loudness scanner uses this library's resampler to search for "true" peaks.

Regarding the sample peaks values >1 that you observed, I agree that it probably shouldn't be that way, but it's certainly not the true peak.

Reply #169
But I had assumed that it used to work for you before.

Yes it did! I use the true peak and the loudness measurement in connection with loudness normalizing on a server running FreeBSD - an older version, because I wasn't able to compile later ones by now. I'll find out...
But on Linux -where the problem occurred - I normally use the "dump" feature for visualization of m/s/i with gnuplot.

If this is your first try, the most probable cause is that you don't have the speexdsp library (or its header files) installed.

Installing the speexdsp headers did the job. Thank you!

Reply #170
Ok, I eventually managed to build on Mac Intel-Snow Leopard.
Here's a short how-to (in French, sorry).

care to share the binary?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #171
Ok, I eventually managed to build on Mac Intel-Snow Leopard.
Here's a short how-to (in French, sorry).

care to share the binary?

Hi, sorry for answering late, I thought I was subscriber to this thread but ...
I'm not sure that distributing a home-built binary would be very helpful as the binary requires various libs that might not be in standard dirs on my computer ...
To build on Mac, all you really need is the Apple Developer Tools and MacPorts to install dependancies (well, at least, this is an option).

Step 1 : get Apple Developer Tools
https://developer.apple.com/
You'll need to create a free developer account, and depending on your os get the correct developper tools

Step 2 : install MacPorts
http://www.macports.org/

Step 3 : install dependancies and utilities
Launch Terminal.app
$sudo port install glib2 gtk2 taglib ffmpeg libsndfile cmake git-core

Step 4 : get source code from repository and build
If not already done, launch Terminal.app
$cd $HOME
$git clone https://github.com/jiixyj/libebur128
$cd libebur128/
$git submodule init
$git submodule update
$mkdir build
$cd build
$cmake ..
$make

Step 5 : run binary
$$HOME/libebur128/build/loudness scan -l -p dbtp path/to/somefile.wav

Hope that it helps ...

Reply #172
On Ubuntu cmake failed to find glibconfig:

$ locate -r "/glib.h$" -r "/glibconfig.h$"
/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib.h
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h

Workaround:
CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include cmake ..

Now can use gtk drop instead qt drop

Reply #173
@Raiden,

Thanks for this great little program! Would it be possible to add momentary loudness metering according to ITU-R BS.1771-1 (http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1771/en)?
If only I was a bit more knowleadgeable about all this math... 

Edit: added link to document

Reply #174
Would it be possible to add momentary loudness metering according to ITU-R BS.1771-1?

Are you sure it can’t do this already? There's this example in the help message:
loudness dump -m 1.0 a.wav  # Each second, write momentary loudness to stdout.

Or is this different from the norm you cite?