Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will CD ripped to 1 FLAC file for each track still play with no gaps? (Read 13573 times) previous topic - next topic

Will CD ripped to 1 FLAC file for each track still play with no gaps?

Hello there I want to know if in the case of uninterrupted tracks -such as The Wall songs- are played exactly the same regardless the album is kept on single file or splitted with CueTools. Is there any gap after the splitting when the flac are played on winamp? I am a fundamentalis of no gaps on these uninterrupted tracks. Most probably this is perfectly obvious but I am not well versed on this world. Thanks.

Reply #1
Lossless formats are gapless by definition and will be decoded as such by any competent player. Winamp fits that description.

Reply #2
Lossless formats are gapless by definition and will be decoded as such by any competent player. Winamp fits that description.

Thank you very much, I was fearing that. So, no problem eveything will play as it is no gaps. Perfect. Thanks again.

Reply #3
Lossless formats are gapless by definition

True, but despite the thread's title, he is asking about splitting a single-file rip with CUETools. CUETools will do a good job so the answer is yes, it'll be done properly, no gaps/seams.

But if he were to use a certain other splitter of lossless single-file rips, a CUE splitter rather medieval in quality, the result would not be seamless; it doesn't matter that the output is in a lossless format.

Reply #4
Good point. I took the bit about CUETools to mean ripping, not splitting. And I didn’t think of certain applications that pointlessly try to perform the splitting on the compressed files, without decoding and re-encoding, and get it wrong into the bargain.

To give a little more info for the OP: although lossless formats are intrinsically/necessarily gapless when decoded, the mechanisms of compression can confound splitting if the file isn’t de- and re-encoded, and so applications that insist on avoiding those processes must cut corners; the famous example of a failed attempt to be clever that is being discussed (without naming names) does this with FLAC files and messes things up in the process.

Reply #5
Hello there do you know if after you re-encode into tracks with CUETools and eventually re-encode into single flac from the splitted tracks the result is exactly the same as the original single flac? Thanks

Reply #6
The audio will be exactly the same.

The tags might change along the way due to something you do; we can’t speculate about that.

Reply #7
To ensure that all audio from the image file is preserved, the OP should use the default and recommended 'Gaps handling setting' in CUETools when splitting and not discard any 00.(HTOA) file that's created. More about HTOA here. When joining tracks back to a single image file, the HTOA (if any) will be included.
korth

Reply #9
Is it recommended to use CUERipper rather than EAC for ripping to individual flac tracks using FLACCL and preserving the gaps/no gaps, or is EAC just as capable?

I haven't ripped any CDs in quite a while now but I used to use EAC and was quite impressed with the options it had to ensure accurate rips. In comparison, CUERipper seems a bit light on options but for all I know, some magic goes on in the background to avoid the need to present said options.

Reply #10
Is it recommended to use CUERipper rather than EAC for ripping to individual flac tracks using FLACCL and preserving the gaps/no gaps, or is EAC just as capable?
EAC is just as capable.

A notable difference is that CUETools automatically chooses the method for detecting gaps, whereas EAC allows manual selection among three different methods, defaulting to A, which should be fine for most drives. I see no reason why, given correct automatic detection in CUETools and the right manual choice in EAC, the two programs would not return identical results.

Reply #11
EAC is just as capable.

A notable difference is that CUETools automatically chooses the method for detecting gaps, whereas EAC allows manual selection among three different methods, defaulting to A, which should be fine for most drives. I see no reason why, given correct automatic detection in CUETools and the right manual choice in EAC, the two programs would not return identical results.

Great, thanks.

Reply #12
The audio will be exactly the same.

The tags might change along the way due to something you do; we can’t speculate about that.

Hello once more. I have another question: WHen re-encoding to individual flac tracks with CUETools, should I consider the encoder the original single flac was encoded with? I've been using libFlake because I read it is the encoder the guys from CUETools developed and thus the most appropiate. But could there be any problem when the original single flac encoder and the encoder I use to re-encode in individual flac are different?

Most probably the answer i ''no'' otherwise you would have warned me in which case please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks my friend.

Reply #13
As you guessed, it shouldn’t matter at all.  The audio should be decoded losslessly to WAV in any case before being re-encoded. The only exception would be if one or more of the decoder and encoder were broken, but then even that wouldn’t be affected by whether or not they were the same version, etc.

Reply #14
As you guessed, it shouldn’t matter at all.  The audio should be decoded losslessly to WAV in any case before being re-encoded. The only exception would be if one or more of the decoder and encoder were broken, but then even that wouldn’t be affected by whether or not they were the same version, etc.

Thanks teacher!