IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Do I stuff carpet on this vented box?, Just curious...
krafty
post Apr 2 2013, 20:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79175

Hi folks.

I'm just concluding the final phase for a simple vented box.

As I constructed the cabinet entirely based on the speakers properties, now should I leave the inside of the cabinet free or...
may I stuff there a small carpet in "U" shape, going around the vertical part of the vent?
Is it necessary? Or do I just leave like it is?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Apr 3 2013, 18:21
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

This is an experimental start up. It will use coaxial speakers, so there will be no driver...
FYI - the term "driver" refers to a speaker without a cabinet. wink.gif You'll be using coaxial drivers. Sometimes drivers are called speaker components. So you could have a woofer driver and a tweeter driver, or a woofer component and a tweeter component, etc.

The term "speaker" is ambiguous and can mean either a speaker without a cabinet, or a speaker system which means one or more speakers/drivers in a cabinet. If you go to an audio/video store and buy a speaker, you are probably buying a speaker system in a cabinet. But if you go to an electronics-parts store, or a car stereo shop, and buy a speaker, you are probably buying just the driver.

When a guitar player says "cabinet" (or "cab"), he's talking about a cabinet with speakers (drivers) that requires a separate "head amp".

It will use coaxial speakers, so there will be no driver, just a capacitor to optimize it to 40W RMS.
Most coaxial speakers (drivers) come with a capacitor already attached and wired in series with the tweeter. I've never seen a case where you had to supply your own or wire it up yourself. Usually, you just attach the two speaker wires and you're done. (High-end coax drivers sometimes have a full-crossover attached or supplied.)

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Apr 3 2013, 18:31
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 17:33