IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Should I buy the cd or mp3?
nealdave97
post Apr 2 2013, 20:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107495

I am debating whether i should buy Led Zeppelin 4 on CD or the mp3 version both from Amazon. I listen to my music on an Audio Technica ATH-M30(with an ipod) and im wondering if it would sound better on the headphones with the mp3 version or the cd version that i will rip into an Apple Lossless file? The CD is a 1994 remaster.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Porcus
post Apr 2 2013, 21:12
Post #2

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (nealdave97 @ Apr 2 2013, 20:43) *
I am debating whether i should buy Led Zeppelin 4 on CD or the mp3 version both from Amazon. I listen to my music on an Audio Technica ATH-M30(with an ipod) and im wondering if it would sound better on the headphones with the mp3 version or the cd version that i will rip into an Apple Lossless file? The CD is a 1994 remaster.

I think my remastered IV is the 1994 one. It measures up to quite a bit less dynamic range than the original (which I also own), and subjective opinions about the mastering are ... mixed. (It is quite the same as the 1993 «Complete studio recordings» box, which I also own.) But allegedly the more recent remasters are even more compressed. I do not know which one is source of the Amazon mp3. The difference mp3 vs CD likely is far less audible, if at all, than the differences between masterings. (Disclaimer: I do not know whether Amazon even has a decent gapless solution.)

At equal price and same mastering and assuming you do not need it «now», I would buy & rip the CD, but I am an old fart living on memory lane (at least if 97 is your year of birth, then I am old). Actually, I would go to eBay and try to get the original pressing 2nd hand – generally speaking. 80's mastering-for-digital was not necessarily perfect, often far from so, but I think as a rule of thumb those are more often closer to the original recording than more recent victims of the loudness war.

This post has been edited by Porcus: Apr 2 2013, 21:14

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post
marc2003
post Apr 2 2013, 21:22
Post #3

Member No.: 19379

QUOTE (Porcus @ Apr 2 2013, 21:12) *
(Disclaimer: I do not know whether Amazon even has a decent gapless solution.)

all my amazon purchases were lame encoded so i should hope so. having said that, i don't have any albums that i could test. most of my files are singles.

edit: beaten to it.

This post has been edited by marc2003: Apr 2 2013, 21:23
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 14:23