Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Burning Audio CDs
Wazaawolf
post Apr 25 2013, 13:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107834

Hello,

I decided to back up all of my CDs, because some of them are getting old or scratched. I'm a newbie to ripping and burning Audio CDs, so some advice will be helpful.

- Which is the best format to use? Will mp3 320kbps do fine? Or can I use 16-bit FLAC or WAV too? Can Audio CDs consisting of FLAC or WAV files be read by CD players?

- I know high speeds increase the probability of errors, but does it affect sound quality?

- What is the difference between cheap, off-brand CD-Rs and more expensive CD-Rs? Is there a difference in chance of errors only, or is there a difference in sound quality too?

- On the internet I read something about Gold, Blue, Black and White CD-Rs. What does this mean, and what is the difference between those different types?

I've searched a lot on the internet to find information, but I this things remained unclear to me. Any answer or a link to an answer would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pdq
post Apr 25 2013, 13:40
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24233

The first step is to use a secure ripper with AccurateRip confirmation.

Some players will only play audio CDs, but many will also play CDs with mp3 files. I suspect that very few will play other file types like FLAC, but of course computers will play any of these. Is your interest to produce playable discs or to simply archive your music?

Don't believe everything you hear about recording speed and quality. It's not that simple, and you may want to experiment with your particular recorder and discs.

Whenever you record a disc, verify its contents. You may find that cheap discs fail to verify more often than expensive ones, but any brand can have an occasional failure.

I always use the cheapest discs that I can find, but I am not using them for archival storage, and if a disc goes bad I just make another.

Your best bet for archival storage is two separate hard drives, kept at two separate locations. Periodically check each for integrity.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 22:16