Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pre-beta builds (Read 10175 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-beta builds

Greg posted a new win32 build of opus-tools at https://people.xiph.org/~greg/opus-tools_58d80ab.zip (updated build with bugfix)
This should normally be released as 1.1-beta in 1-2 weeks, so please report any issue you find with it. The main change in this build is the recent surround quality improvements, especially for 5.1. There were also speed optimizations and both the encoder and decoder should run faster.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #1
I tell the encoder to use "VBR 128" and "complexity=10".
The outbut has a bitrate of 55.
VBR 144 -> 60 kbps

Whats up with that? I'm using TAudioConverter. Unless some commands have changed, there must be a bug with opusenc

Pre-beta builds

Reply #2
VBR 144 -> 60 kbps

Whats up with that? I'm using TAudioConverter. Unless some commands have changed, there must be a bug with opusenc

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-) Seriously, what happens is that the encoder now reduces the rate when one speaker gets masked by another one. I haven't been able to re-calibrate because I'd need a wide variety of surround material. So for now, you pretty much have to use a higher rate.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #3
VBR 144 -> 60 kbps

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-) Seriously, what happens is that the encoder now reduces the rate when one speaker gets masked by another one. I haven't been able to re-calibrate because I'd need a wide variety of surround material. So for now, you pretty much have to use a higher rate.

Interesting. So 60kbps should now be near transparent? (If thats the outcome of choosing 144kbps vbr  )

Pre-beta builds

Reply #4
Greg posted a new win32 build of opus-tools at https://people.xiph.org/~greg/opus-tools_0fed074b.zip
This should normally be released as 1.1-beta in 1-2 weeks, so please report any issue you find with it. The main change in this build is the recent surround quality improvements, especially for 5.1. There were also speed optimizations and both the encoder and decoder should run faster.

Sorry, it appears we really messed up this build. PLEASE DON'T USE FOR NOW. We'll fix it.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #5
From what I can see this build reduces bitrate significantly on quiet (low energy) parts. It has a great potential of reducing bitrate on low-freq/quiet content but also some issues on samples with quick variations of loudness.

Have tried Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon at 96 kbps and some tracks go as low as 55-80 kbps without quality drops.  Amazing.
But also have found a few other samples where it did quite bad.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #6
Sorry, but encoding Dark Side of the Moon "at 96 kbps" sounds like blasphemy to me.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #7
Sorry, it appears we really messed up this build. PLEASE DON'T USE FOR NOW. We'll fix it.

It's good to hear some status even if it's a temporary one step back.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #8

Oh, You're right. Even Justin Bieber deserves higher bitrate.
Anyway, such a great way to celebrate 20th post.

Pre-beta builds

Reply #9
Greg posted a new win32 build of opus-tools at https://people.xiph.org/~greg/opus-tools_58d80ab.zip (updated build with bugfix)

OK, the problem should be fixed now and the build was updated. Please give this new build a try: https://people.xiph.org/~greg/opus-tools_58d80ab.zip

Pre-beta builds

Reply #10
I have a sample for you here, which i usually can abx with most lossy encoders and settings. Easily ABX'able at 144kbps opus (latest link), and I manage to ABX v0 vs v0.5 Lame 3.100. Seems like hard bass together with melody is hard for every encoder. The "resolution"/details of everything that is not bass, gets "reduced" compared to lossless.

Rock music, rap, pop i can't abx at v3-v4 (lame), but hardstyle and some house music i need v1-v0 to get satisfied with quality.