Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mass ripped WAV repair? (Read 2467 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass ripped WAV repair?

I can think of several situations where doing the following would be a VERY BAD IDEA.  But I'm going to ask it anyway.

A friend recently gave me his entire collection of CDs; unfortunately, many of them are badly damaged.  So far, I've catalogued 214 tracks that fail AccurateRip testing even with the best error correcting I can apply during ripping.  By the time I'm done I expect close to 400.

I was wondering if there exists any software that can read those rips, find only the most obvious glitches (i.e. bad pops or static), and attempt to repair them automatically using Gaussian or other techniques.  Preferably, such software would be able to use FLACs as inputs rather than WAVs.

I know it's dangerous to use any kind of "autocorrect" tool like this, but I'll be hand-editing my favorite tracks.  And I'm also not expecting miracles...no amount of error correction can "restore" the original track, after all, and some sections simply will be too badly damaged to repair.  This is only for the tracks I'm not interested in spending much time on.

Mass ripped WAV repair?

Reply #1
CueTools

Mass ripped WAV repair?

Reply #2
To expand on what garym said, CueTools checks with CTDB/AR and is able to repair small chunks of data (don't know the exact size), so in some cases you might even get a track back that is accurate.

Mass ripped WAV repair?

Reply #3
I was wondering if there exists any software that can read those rips, find only the most obvious glitches (i.e. bad pops or static), and attempt to repair them automatically using Gaussian or other techniques.  Preferably, such software would be able to use FLACs as inputs rather than WAVs.
CueTools
Unfortunately CUETools repair works on the 'whole disc' only. You can't select what track to repair or not repair. Also, if the damage exceeds what the recovery record can repair, nothing can be repaired.

CueTools checks with CTDB/AR and is able to repair small chunks of data (don't know the exact size)
Recovery is based on results in CTDB only. The wiki page hasn't been completely updated. For more popular discs, the continuous section is now about a second.
korth