IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Monitor Headphones vs EQ'd Headphones
thedisavowed
post Jun 8 2013, 15:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46689

Obviously (like with most audio topics) there's probably some subjectivity here but -

I own a pair of AKG K240 studio monitor headphones. I've always liked their sound, and apart from them getting a bit sweaty after prolonged use (3-4 hours) I really have no complaints.

Recently a buddy of mine who's a musician came over and saw I had them and said they were nice headphones for mixing but that if he was just listening to music it wouldn't be his first choice - he'd rather have some EQ'd headphones.

I've seen a similar sentiment on gaming boards in discussions of headphones.

These headphones are well liked among gamers and music people: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-O...=I1OLXLGOX6RLWS

Was thinking of trying them just for kicks but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight they can share? I mean I get what he's saying - but wouldn't monitor headphones really be representing how the music is "supposed" to sound? Wouldn't EQ'd headphones be coloring the sound with the sound of the headphones themselves?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
saratoga
post Jun 8 2013, 17:40
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3264

There isn't really a difference between getting headphones that are designed to have a flat response and taking a pair of similar quality headphones and flattening the response with EQ if that is what you're asking. Maybe the EQ'ed ones will be a little flatter if you do the calibration well.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:36