Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [DOUBLE POST] Help me understand some of the tagging functions! (Read 1218 times) previous topic - next topic

[DOUBLE POST] Help me understand some of the tagging functions!

Rewrite File Tags; Reload info from files

So in what instance would one use these options?  When I modify the tags using foobar, does it not automatically update the files?  Similarly, if I edit tags using another app, does it not automatically update in foobar? 

Much appreciated.

[DOUBLE POST] Help me understand some of the tagging functions!

Reply #1
Was something wrong with my answer to your first round of these questions?

But to elaborate for posterity:
When I modify the tags using foobar, does it not automatically update the files?
It does. The option to rewrite is for when you have changed the tagging scheme, as I said before—or, perhaps, when you have some other reason to want to delete the existing tag(s) and rebuild it/them.

Similarly, if I edit tags using another app, does it not automatically update in foobar?
The question is too vague. Update where? Normal playlists do not update automatically. The option to reload metadata is ideal for this purpose, as I said before. And to add: the Media Library should notice changes to metadata of files that it is monitoring/indexing and reflect these (if it is set to display that information), and, intuitively, autoplaylists should update automatically too.