IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Fuze+ woes, hard to make it do anyhting one wants
AndyH-ha
post Jul 13 2013, 05:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

I got a Fuze+ yesterday. So far I've spent several very frustrating hours reading the operations manual, trying to match its behavior to the instructions, and just playing with the controls to see if I can make any better sense that way. I'm thinking it must be seriously malfunctioning but I'm not so sure it even contains the concept of reasonable function. I would like to know a few things about what is possible with it and then ask a few questions about the actual behavior of my device.

My main interest is audiobooks. It has an audiobook folder in its default structure (as viewed with Windows Explorer) and a Books section on its Main Menu screen level. I read that the Genre in the tags must be "audiobook" or the files will be stuck into "Music," regardless of where they are loaded in its file/folder structure, so I added that to all the tags.

Each book is loaded (i.e. copied to via Windows Explorer), in its own folder, into the device's Audiobook folder. Each file in every book is sequenced by its File Name (i.e. roll over 01, roll over 02, roll over 03 ...), by its Title tag (generally identical to the file name) and by its Track Number tag. All the files for a book have the same Album tag and Artists tag values.

I, and other family members, have used this scheme for several years, with several different players, without a hitch. I bought a Fuze (ne+) for the 5 year old girl and she has been using it with great pleasure for three years now (books only). For my trial run on the Fuze+, I loaded a number of books with from 29 to 495 tracks per book.

I'm not really sure if the device actually recognizes all that I've loaded.
First, there does not seem to be any way to select which story one wishes to hear.
Is this true?
Second, it does not play the tracks in order, at least any order I recognize.
Is seems to me any designer who thought shuffle mode should apply to audiobooks must be a drooling idiot but, according to the Settings, both Shuffle and Repeat are turned off.

Furthermore, I can not get it to go above the first 10 tracks of its first book (I can never see any sign of the other books at all). It goes through these 10 tracks in an apparently random order. Possibly it does the same order each time, but playing with such nonsense soon becomes too tiresome to enlist my attention. This seems a definite, all out malfunction, not a possible glitch of my clumsy manipulation. Has anyone had any better luck?

It came with various lame (not LAME) sample media, some music tracks, some photos, some podcasts, etc. After playing with them a little (and having the same bad luck I've experienced since with the device controls) I deleted them all, being careful to select only media files. Then I loaded an mp3 music album, just to test the audio quality. Trying to play the album as I wanted, in track sequence, was quite frustrating. I finally gave up and let it do what it intended to do, which turned out to be play the tracks in order -- from last to first.

After that I tried to test the audiobooks but the thing kept jumping around from Main Menu category to category when I tried to find track 01 of the book it had selected (it wanted to start elsewhere), so I went to Settings and turned off every category, except Books, that I could. This left three items on it main menu, Books, Card, and Settings.

However, it is still very difficult to navigate that main menu. It still takes many tries to get to any particular section, especially the Books section. Sometimes I have to try several many times before the screen changes, even if I wait three to five seconds between "button" pushes for something, for anything, to happen. Other times the lightest, even accidental, touch will bring instant response. It will often jump back and forth between two of the three Main Menu categories (it did the same thing when all categories were active), regardless of what I do or which direction I try to move it. It also sometimes jumps into Music, NOT at the Main Menu level (which is turned off) but to the last song (its first) in the one album I loaded.

I would like to know if anyone can load audiobooks, then select the book they want, and play the tracks in the proper sequence. I have not yet contacted Sansa because, with such a clumsy system, I don't know how much I factor into the failures. Is it common, or easy, to have it do something other than what one would expect from reading how the controls are supposed to work (or even to act differently from the previous time one did the same thing with the controls)? If so, maybe I am not the problem and it is time to report to Sansa.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 07:15