IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why *.aac files are not supported by aacgain?
kolpotoru
post Jul 20 2013, 08:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 109186

Why *.aac files are not supported by aacgain? Please add support for *.aac files in aacgain.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
db1989
post Jul 20 2013, 12:56
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Why are you asking us, as if we have any power over the software, instead of taking the more logical route of contacting the developer directly using the email address provided on the official site?

It states specifically that only MP4-contained AAC is supported, but perhaps you can get a reply with the rationale for this or have your name added to the list of people who want support for raw AAC.

This post has been edited by db1989: Jul 20 2013, 12:59
+Quote Post
davelasker
post Jul 21 2013, 06:34
Post #3

Member No.: 15951

QUOTE (kolpotoru @ Jul 20 2013, 00:41) *
Why *.aac files are not supported by aacgain? Please add support for *.aac files in aacgain.

I am the developer of aacgain. I built aacgain for the sole purpose of normalizing my iTunes music library. All these files are in mp4 containers. The mp4 container is used to store the undo information. I made the program free and open source so I could give something back to the developer community.

It is certainly possible to modify the program to have it work on aac files, but it would not be possible to undo the changes. I have neither the time nor the motivation to make these changes. Aacgain is open source, so anyone is welcome to make the changes themselves.

Another solution to your problem, which requires no changes to aacgain, is to use mp4box to encapsulate your aac file in an mp4 container, run aacgain on it, then use mp4box to extract the modified aac file. If you need to do this for multiple files, you can write a script to do it.

Thank you for your interest in aacgain.

This post has been edited by davelasker: Jul 21 2013, 06:58
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Jul 21 2013, 07:11
Post #4

Member No.: 3264

If its critically important you could probably just process them as M4As, and then convert to raw AAC after.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jul 21 2013, 10:42
Post #5

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (davelasker @ Jul 21 2013, 07:34) *
Another solution to your problem, which requires no changes to aacgain, is to use mp4box to encapsulate your aac file in an mp4 container, run aacgain on it, then use mp4box to extract the modified aac file. If you need to do this for multiple files, you can write a script to do it.

Windows users:
A simple .bat file could do for %%f in (*.aac) DO ffmpeg.exe -i "%%f" -acodec copy "%%f.m4a" (that's only for a single folder, modify accordingly to traverse directories) which dumps every filename.aac to filename.aac.m4a. Then post processing, a .bat file could run for %%f in (*.aac.m4a) DO ffmpeg.exe -i "%%f" -acodec copy "%%f.aac" outputting filename.aac.m4a.aac.

(Why multiple suffixes? Keeps you from running aacgain on wrong files. If you already have .aac.m4a files, fit in a string like .tobeaacgained.m4a. Wanna get rid of that? http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk )

I do not really understand why using raw .aac though.

This post has been edited by Porcus: Jul 21 2013, 10:44

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:00