Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is Tag&Rename Version 3.7 a Step Backwards? Any Better Options? (Read 6875 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Tag&Rename Version 3.7 a Step Backwards? Any Better Options?

I hope I have placed this message in the correct forum...

I've been using Tag&Rename as a paid customer for years. I like Tag&Rename's former simplicity for tagging FLAC files in a large music collection for playback on Logitech Media Server.

Recently T&R version 3.7 has come out with some truly deal breaker changes (e.g, attempting to read all music files in each directory prior to opening--very slow even using an SSD, and album lyrics no longer viewable in a table). Softpointer does not respond to my sent messages nor a request for a link to the previous version.

So, two questions;
[blockquote]1) Is anyone else using Tag&Rename version 3.7 and are they experiencing any issues?
2) Does anyone have recommendations for music tagging software? [/blockquote]
If you are using Logitech Media Server with a large music collection (1000s of albums) and are actually trying to keep a music collection organized with cover, composer, multiple genre, lyrics, artwork, and other complex tags, you probably already have a favorite tagging software recommendation for me.

I do not need to link to any outside data sources, I can enter and maintain the information I want. I use relatively simple data analyse tools to catch the various errors that creep into the tags and file names. I would like to use an MS Access front end (or similar) to analyze some of the information migrated and stored in Logitech Media Server. I am certainly willing to pay for the software.

I hope to hear from some of the HA forum members who may also be spending quite a bit of time on their audio hobby.

Reply #1
Two of the most recommended tools here are foobar2000 and MP3tag. Don't know if Logitech Media Server has some special requirements WRT tagging, though.

HTH.

Alessandro

Reply #2
I've never used Tag & Rename, but Mp3tag is well worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

I also use LMS. Since version 7.6.0 it uses SQLite for its database (previously it used MySQL). There are some very good free SQLite client programs, such as SQLite Expert (the Personal edition is free). You may be able to use Access as a frontend by installing a SQLite ODBC driver. But you might also find that you can do all of your data analysis from within Mp3tag itself, which offers ways of querying (filtering) files based on an expression language that can be used to examine tag and file metadata.

Reply #3
Another popular utility to check out: TagScanner. I mostly use Mp3tag though.

Reply #5
Softpointer does not respond to my sent messages nor a request for a link to the previous version.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_tag_and_rename/history/

Wow, File Hippo historic downloads are great!!! I downloaded (and archived) and tested the previous version--an exact solution. Thank you!!!

Reply #6
Two of the most recommended tools here are foobar2000 and MP3tag. Don't know if Logitech Media Server has some special requirements WRT tagging, though.

HTH.

Alessandro

Thank you for the recommendations. I have looked at foobar over the last six years or so. Some very nice features. I've actually installed foobat2000 several times and still did not find myself using it. I will install it again and reexamine.

I will look at MP3tag also. I'm not sure how it handles the FLAC tags.

I also actually use dBpoweramp to convert music file from FLAC to MP3s for Android play back. As many of the forum participants probably already know, there are many obstacles tagging music. For example (my constant issues):
[blockquote]Keeping album artist vs. artist straight
Getting lyrics to ALWAYS display when play and viewing on Android
Finding and fixing errors[/blockquote]
No complaints or suggestions needed on any of the above issues, I'm just trying to listen to what I want, when I want--view the lyrics and composer, and eventually view the album artwork as a slide show on my Android. Android hardware is making incredible progress toward being able to play large music collections. Of course, in my living room my music problems have been solved for decades.

Thank you!

Reply #7
I've never used Tag & Rename, but Mp3tag is well worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

I also use LMS. Since version 7.6.0 it uses SQLite for its database (previously it used MySQL). There are some very good free SQLite client programs, such as SQLite Expert (the Personal edition is free). You may be able to use Access as a frontend by installing a SQLite ODBC driver. But you might also find that you can do all of your data analysis from within Mp3tag itself, which offers ways of querying (filtering) files based on an expression language that can be used to examine tag and file metadata.

Thanks for the SQLite tip!! I just looked at the site and liked the site/product. I haven't had to use an ODBC driver since my work at a data warehouse almost a decade ago. I'm sure my current hardware is faster than what I previously worked with.

I'll specifically look at MP3tag's ability to analyze files. MP3tag sounds as if it can help with maintaining data integrity.

BTW--I LOVE/HATE MS Access... that about sums up the product.

Thanks again!!

Reply #8

Hmmmm.... TagScanner--I have not run across it. I looked at the site/product--it seems very promising. I'll give it a try.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my request.

Reply #9
I hope I have placed this message in the correct forum...

I've been using Tag&Rename as a paid customer for years. I like Tag&Rename's former simplicity for tagging FLAC files in a large music collection for playback on Logitech Media Server.

Recently T&R version 3.7 has come out with some truly deal breaker changes (e.g, attempting to read all music files in each directory prior to opening--very slow even using an SSD, and album lyrics no longer viewable in a table). Softpointer does not respond to my sent messages nor a request for a link to the previous version.

So, two questions;
[blockquote]1) Is anyone else using Tag&Rename version 3.7 and are they experiencing any issues?
2) Does anyone have recommendations for music tagging software? [/blockquote]
If you are using Logitech Media Server with a large music collection (1000s of albums) and are actually trying to keep a music collection organized with cover, composer, multiple genre, lyrics, artwork, and other complex tags, you probably already have a favorite tagging software recommendation for me.

I do not need to link to any outside data sources, I can enter and maintain the information I want. I use relatively simple data analyse tools to catch the various errors that creep into the tags and file names. I would like to use an MS Access front end (or similar) to analyze some of the information migrated and stored in Logitech Media Server. I am certainly willing to pay for the software.

I hope to hear from some of the HA forum members who may also be spending quite a bit of time on their audio hobby.

I'll reply to my own post.

Thank you to all the forum members who have provided timely and knowledgeably responses. I believe I have solutions to both my questions in less than 24 hours.

Best regards and professional/hobby success to all!

Reply #10

I gave TagScanner a try for a week and found it very helpful. I found it was especially good at:

• Finding weird anomalies created when splitting hidden tracks into their own individual tracks using Audacity. As a rarity--some files ended up as three channels vs. two. I have no explanation for the error.
  • Quickly corrected errors generated from EAC reading Enhanced data tracks (non-ripped) as an additional track and incorrectly reporting the extra track in the total number of disc tracks (e.g., track 14 of 15 vs. track 14 of 14 as the last track on a disc).
  • Quickly corrected "disc 2 of 1" errors generated from EAC when ripping double albums.
  • Quickly fixed miscellaneous errors in track numbering of multiple discs.
  • Quickly found errors in which I had forgotten to add a cover image to a hidden track after splitting it.
  • Quickly fixed other errors too "odd" to categorize--caused by some failure in my ripping routine.

TagScanner is a very helpful tagging utility and certainly goes beyond Tag&Rename's current capabilities.

Thank you again for the recommendation.