Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
is vorbis still better, [moderation: compared to AAC]
B7k
post Aug 11 2013, 06:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41371

I have not been up to date on formats as I have been gone overseas and want to know if aotuv vorbis is still better than aac as of 2013. I have little time to search through the forums and use a rockboxed 5.5G ipod and have many cd's that have to be converted.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Surfi
post Aug 11 2013, 12:41
Post #2

Member No.: 17420

::

... wouldn't say better but I still prefer Vorbis AoTuv for my Rockboxed Sansas (E280, Fuze, Clip+).
Quality is transparent to my ears (--quality 5,47) and the devices have good battery life due to the highly optimized decoder.

Greetings, ...

::
+Quote Post
Dynamic
post Aug 11 2013, 14:26
Post #3

Member No.: 35307

At higher bitrates, say 128kbps average and above, there's probably little difference.

If you're aiming at 64 to 96 kbps, various recent public listening tests show Vorbis AoTuV is probably a little better than Nero LC-AAC (or HE-AAC at 64k) but not quite as good as Apple Quicktime/iTunes/QAAC AAC encoder. The FhG AAC encoder supplied with WinAmp was beaten by QAAC CVBR mode in the 2011 96 kbps AAC test.

The new Opus codec is also statistically superior to all these at 64 kbps (and the 1.1 beta build improves its weakest samples in that test). At 96 kbps, it's much more marginal in some single-listener tests.

I meant to add that it's all dependent on the sample and the listener in question, so 'your mileage may vary', but the above are summaries of multi-user test results.

This post has been edited by Dynamic: Aug 11 2013, 14:30
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 00:24