Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mastered For Itunes Hissing... (Read 18406 times) previous topic - next topic

Mastered For Itunes Hissing...

Reply #26
I am pretty certain that none of the CD issues of Houses of the Holy (or any other Led Zeppelin title) have pre-emphasis.

Maybe evereux still can find some time to prepare his cd and itunes sample also.

To save Evereux the trouble, I can confirm that on a casual listen the posted MP3 sounds the same as a FLAC ripped from the 10-CD box set of 1991. (I failed to ABX them - admittedly on my laptop using fairly cheap headphones, but I get the impression they are essentially the same mastering).

I agree that the AAC has a very obvious high-end boost. Houses of the Holy has a fairly bright sound anyway (compared to other Zeppelin albums), so adding extra top-end EQ seems almost perverse.

Reply #28
Like with the samples provided by nealdave97, they are out of phase and one plays slightly faster than the other.

Your CD is from the original digital remaster.  If you compare The Rain Song from this disc you will instantly notice increased stereo separation.

I have no idea what was the source for the iTunes version and my discs are in storage.

Reply #29
Strange, the evereux samples when played replaygained don't differ that much to my ears even in noise. From that part of the music i guess there isn't much to complain about hiss in the itunes version.
The rain song snipped offered by nealdave97 seems much brighter and noisier with the AAC sample.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #30
Strange, the evereux samples when played replaygained don't differ that much to my ears even in noise. From that part of the music i guess there isn't much to complain about hiss in the itunes version.
The rain song snipped offered by nealdave97 seems much brighter and noisier with the AAC sample.

I thought exactly the same so I just grabbed Rain Song from the same set I got The Song Remains The Same from iTunes and it is indeed as nealdave97's version. Noisy with hiss!
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #31
I thought exactly the same so I just grabbed Rain Song from the same set I got The Song Remains The Same from iTunes and it is indeed as nealdave97's version. Noisy with hiss!

Thanks Sir evereux for double checking. This only means the mixman did his job from track to track and decided on per track or even parts of a track how it sounds best to his ears.
Like mentioned before with such classic recordings that came to the market in different favours it can end in a big PITA to find a version you like best. In this case you should get the right for money back.
At least heavily compressed or hissing music should be returnable as broken
I lately outed me for listeing Patricia Barber and mentioned her february release Smash. These days i noticed there is a mofi version already that claims "Mastered from the original master tapes, Mobile Fidelity’s hybrid SACD possesses audiophile-quality fidelity and dynamic transparency unmatched by the commercially released CD"
Was the technology for audio transfers that bad half a year ago that leaves me with some vintage sounding plastic junk? I want my money back
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #32
Just found out about these exclusive to iTunes releases. I'll just say don't sleep on it if youre a LZ fan.