Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EQ31 - 1/3 Oct Graphics Equalizer for Windows (Read 25966 times) previous topic - next topic

EQ31 - 1/3 Oct Graphics Equalizer for Windows

Few weeks ago I bumped to a SourceForce project called EqualizerAPO and got an idea to try prepare a GUI for to use its features (I said "try" because of I was a "C++ virgin" until last week). So, I programmed this Graphics Equalizer GUI demo and made it work with the EqualizerAPO package as it does now (not yet integrate the EqualizerAPO package into EQ31 so this demo of EQ31 uses EqualizerAPO functionality through EqualizerAPO's config.txt and therefore overwrites it now and then. As writing to the config.txt happens "realtime", in some cases, there are temporary audible issues while making changes).

GUI:

Menus

Preset
Load    - load preset file (*.preset)
Save    - save settings as a preset (*.preset)

Reset
Set 0dB for all sliders and clear the loaded preset from memory

Exit
Clear EQ and Exit  - disable the EQ, save settings and close EQ31
Exit    - save settings and close EQ31 (EQ remains active)

Help
Documentation
About

Power button
"OFF"    - disable EQ
"ON"    - enable EQ

Sliders/filters
  - to move, drag the "handle" or "click" the level bar
  - range ± 20 dB
  - moving steps 0.2dB/0.5dB

Sorry, but before uploading the demo, I need to check some licences.

If you have any suggestions over features, GUI look, etc. ... .

Juha

Reply #2
hi, very interesting.

i think it is necessary to

have 2 channel, for use in drc
range +-20db  is too high, +-12db is ok best is have 6 or 12 selectable range

also slider step is 0.2 db but write only by 1 db step.
Music is my first love.

Reply #3
There's a similar one from Xnor, for foobar2000. It has a few extra features you could look at.

Yours is valuable given that it works for the entire system, not just an audio player.

Reply #4
hi, very interesting.

i think it is necessary to

have 2 channel, for use in drc
range +-20db  is too high, +-12db is ok best is have 6 or 12 selectable range

also slider step is 0.2 db but write only by 1 db step.

Looks like I have changed the slider steps to 0.1/1dB. Write accuracy was purposely set to 1dB for the demo version.

2 channel and parametric versions are in my plan and also is to make the range selectable (6, 12 and 18 or 20). My plan is to make this version and learn some c++ along making it and then incorporate JUCE into it and prepare those two other versions.

There's a similar one from Xnor, for foobar2000. It has a few extra features you could look at.

Yours is valuable given that it works for the entire system, not just an audio player.

Thanks for the info.

Juha

Reply #5
Added couple new features:

Selectable range.
Selectable LP and HP filter.

Latest version can be found through Uploads section.

Juha

Reply #6
Added couple new features:

Selectable range.
Selectable LP and HP filter.

Latest version can be found through Uploads section.

Juha

For your next project, add 7 or so bands of full parametric eq. ;-)

Reply #7
Nice project.

I can't get it to work. The config.txt does not become updated.

I use W7 Home  Premium 64bit.

Reply #8
Nice project.

I can't get it to work. The config.txt does not become updated.

I use W7 Home  Premium 64bit.

Probably because of this utility is for 32-bit OS (64-bit version comes then later...).

Juha

Reply #9
For your next project, add 7 or so bands of full parametric eq. ;-)

Actually, I already made a demo for 10 band parametric EQ for the same task this graphic EQ is.

I have not yet uploaded it because of problems in making magnitude plot for filter output.

Juha

Reply #11
Update for EQ31 (v.0.20).

New 2-channel eq EQ31-2 added (for 32-bit Windows Vista/7/8).

Uploaded here.

(One bug: After selecting Reset slider gain displays does not get updatet.)

Juha

Reply #12
Update for EQ31 (v.0.20).

New 2-channel eq EQ31-2 added (for 32-bit Windows Vista/7/8).

Uploaded here.

(One bug: After selecting Reset slider gain displays does not get updatet.)

Juha

Thanks admin for takin off the latest uploaded file (I noticed that I forgot the sources etc.).
Later all these project files becomes hosted from another place so I don't need to make updates everywhere (I'll add links later when the hosting site is up).

BTW, the PEQ mentioned earlier is nearly in it's v.0.1 (need to fix and shrink the GUI a bit and make the look closer to those EQ31's). It's gonna look about this:

Juha

Reply #13
Sweeeeet! Looking forward to the parametric EQ.

Reply #14
I can't find any download links. On a scale of 1-31, how blind am I?

Edit:

A solid 25, it seems.

Later all these project files becomes hosted from another place so I don't need to make updates everywhere (I'll add links later when the hosting site is up)

Reply #15
I can't find any download links. On a scale of 1-31, how blind am I?

Edit:

A solid 25, it seems.

Later all these project files becomes hosted from another place so I don't need to make updates everywhere (I'll add links later when the hosting site is up)

Ha haaa. Yes, there isn't link yet but next weekend I'm going to release the whole project of 2-channel EQ so, you have to wait until then.

Juha

Reply #16
OK, now the EQ31GUI-2 project is downloadable. More info @ http://jiiteepee.tripod.com/home.html

Parametric EQ project is still waiting a resolution for filter curve display (haven't got drawing fast enough...).

Juha

Reply #17
The software crashes at launch for me. ->W7 Home Premium 64bit

Reply #18
The software crashes at launch for me. ->W7 Home Premium 64bit

Hmm... which way it crashes? Give some details.
Is the MD5/SHA1 checksum for 7z file OK (corrupted download)?
While starting, EQ31GUI-2 tries to read some values from system registry -> are security settings set too tight for your user account?

Reply #19
It just crashes, looks similar to this.

The archive unzips without errors, security settings are set to lowest.

Reply #20
It just crashes, looks similar to this.

The archive unzips without errors, security settings are set to lowest.

IIRC, I got that type issue when the EQ31GUI-2 didn't get/have write permission into EqualizerAPO config folder. Check the permissions for the EqualizerAPO folder and subfolders.

Check that the path is OK in eq31gui-2.ini (it has to point to the folder where EqualizerAPO config.txt is located (default is c:\\Program Files\\EqualizerAPO\\config but if you installed the EqAPO somewhere else, you need to make this change)).

Juha

Reply #21
I haven't changed APOs installation path.

I checked everything you said, the path in the *.ini is correct, I gave full permission in the folder properties to every user, but the software still crashes.

Reply #22
I checked everything you said, the path in the *.ini is correct, I gave full permission in the folder properties to every user, but the software still crashes.

Does it make any difference if you edit the path string found in eq31gui-2.ini so that use  \\ as separator (single \ is part of escape sequences so it might mix the string when read in).

Juha

Reply #23
It makes no difference. Thanks for the effort, I think we should wait for feedback from other users.

Reply #24
It makes no difference. Thanks for the effort, I think we should wait for feedback from other users.

Already few has confirmed that eq31gui-2 works on win7 64-bit and win8 64-bit so maybe something is differently set in your O/S settings/installation.

When such an error happens it becomes booked by system. Can you check the error report for this issue and give me the info.

Juha