IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is there a way to play/convert directmusic sgt/dls files?
mzso
post Nov 15 2013, 00:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43131

Hello!

I want to convert or play some old video game files. Apparently there were some tools that did that but everything'a been removed since then. I only found this that claims to play .sgt files, but it crashes winamp. I'm guessing it's missing some dll-s which I don't know where to get...
Also apparently the darned directmusic composer isn't available anywhere since microsoft removed it from their website.
So at this point I'm lost...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Nov 15 2013, 00:54
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

If you or I can locate any information on the format, I could possibly add it to my MIDI processor library, which could then translate them to general MIDI format, as well as play them directly.
+Quote Post
mzso
post Nov 15 2013, 03:17
Post #3

That'd be cool. Although I'm not optimistic, microsoft doesn't have many documented formats.
I at best saw guides to using music stuff but nothing of the format itself. sad.gif
+Quote Post
kode54
post Nov 15 2013, 05:58
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

I wasn't assuming that Microsoft documented it, I was assuming that some other clever programmer had beaten me to the punch and saved me some trouble. smile.gif

For instance, Peter Pawlowski did make a DirectMusic plug-in for Winamp years ago, although I don't know if he still has the source code to that anywhere.
+Quote Post
mzso
post Nov 15 2013, 13:36
Post #5

QUOTE (kode54 @ Nov 15 2013, 05:58) *
I wasn't assuming that Microsoft documented it, I was assuming that some other clever programmer had beaten me to the punch and saved me some trouble. smile.gif

For instance, Peter Pawlowski did make a DirectMusic plug-in for Winamp years ago, although I don't know if he still has the source code to that anywhere.

Really? Is it still available somewhere?

Edit:
Is this relevant: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...7(v=vs.85).aspx ?

This post has been edited by mzso: Nov 15 2013, 13:40
+Quote Post
mzso
post Nov 19 2013, 12:59
Post #6

I'm guessing Peter doesn't hang around this section much...

Anyway I dug up directmusic composer. And now I remember why I gave up years ago. I can't get it to export audio to wav. There's a record button that apparently does nothing. There's an export to wav option, but it doesn't output anything, ever no matter what I play in the program.

This post has been edited by mzso: Nov 19 2013, 12:59
+Quote Post
mzso
post Nov 19 2013, 14:30
Post #7

I meant to say "DirectMusic Producer"
+Quote Post
CoRoNe
post Nov 19 2013, 21:55
Post #8

Member No.: 22417

A week ago I reinstalled 'No One Lives Forever' just for fun. A game that uses DirectMusic (dls-files).
These files can indeed only be opened with DirectMusic Producer, which doesn't have an export function.
If foobar (through plugin) could be made to play these, that would be really great.

--------------------
DC-Bass Source Mod: http://reino.degeelebosch.nl
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Nov 19 2013, 23:05
Post #9

Member No.: 46454

If you can play the file, you can record it.

If your soundcard/driver supports "What-U-Hear" or "Stereo Mix", you can record internally using any recording software (Audacity will work fine).

If you have a desktop computer, you can run a loopback cable from line-out to line-in, and record line-in. If you want to listen while looping-back, you need a Y-adapter (splitter) to keep your speakers connected.

Or, there is a program called Total Recorder that can record "what you hear" internally even if your soundcard/driver doesn't directly support it.
+Quote Post
mzso
post Nov 19 2013, 23:30
Post #10

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Nov 19 2013, 23:05) *
If you can play the file, you can record it.

If your soundcard/driver supports "What-U-Hear" or "Stereo Mix", you can record internally using any recording software (Audacity will work fine).

If you have a desktop computer, you can run a loopback cable from line-out to line-in, and record line-in. If you want to listen while looping-back, you need a Y-adapter (splitter) to keep your speakers connected.

Or, there is a program called Total Recorder that can record "what you hear" internally even if your soundcard/driver doesn't directly support it.

It'd take an exorbitant amount of time, because the music is in sgt pieces. Also I'm not sure if wheter there's a quality reduction (Which isn't that hot to start with) if I capture something from the sound card.
+Quote Post
mzso
post Feb 21 2014, 20:23
Post #11

QUOTE (kode54 @ Nov 15 2013, 05:58) *

Hello!
Did you look into it?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 17:29