Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Record voice and output through computer at the same time (Read 3326 times) previous topic - next topic

Record voice and output through computer at the same time

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been answered before. But what I'm trying to do is record my voice into the computer (using something like the Maudio Mtrack) and while I'm recording, output that same audio from the computer elsewhere using mini or SPDIF. Basically I want to sing into a mic over instrumental songs and have the song+voice outputted to my stereo system. Is this possible?

Reply #1
If you are on Windows Vista/7/8, I guess that you just have to enable the "listen to this" option. (Right mouse button on speaker taskbar icon, Recording devices, right mouse button on microphone, properties, Listen tab, listen to this device).

This might not work with all soundcards, but then, you might have an option in its own settings dialog.

Reply #2

If you are on Windows Vista/7/8, I guess that you just have to enable the "listen to this" option. (Right mouse button on speaker taskbar icon, Recording devices, right mouse button on microphone, properties, Listen tab, listen to this device).

This might not work with all soundcards, but then, you might have an option in its own settings dialog.

So it's probably doable to overlay my voice over the instrumental track playing from the harddrive and connect that to a stereo using digital out?

Does anyone have any experience with the Maudio device?

Reply #3
Since this is being claimed for the device

M-Track offers ultra-low latency monitoring of the input signal -- either through the speakers or via headphones. The monitor mix knob adjusts the balance between the direct inputs and the playback from your computer software.

It says that you can mix the vocal input with the computer tracks playback and send the mix wherever you want via the monitor connections.

The computer playback must be sent to the device via the device settings of the program you are using to play the tracks. The device monitor mix must be used to mix the two signals to your liking. As long as you can achieve playback from the computer, you should not need to care about any other Windows settings.

If you also want to record your vocals, as you wrote, you must use a recording program that allows recording and playback at the same time.,Some do, some don't. This part will require the proper Window settings for recording.

If your recording application provides for monitor playback of the mix, existing tracks plus new input, then that mix can be sent to you speakers or headphones via the device output, keeping the MAudio device monitor mix set to zero. This probably will mean greater latency between your vocal input and what you hear from the speakers. You have to find out if it is enough to be a problem.

Reply #4
Since this is being claimed for the device

M-Track offers ultra-low latency monitoring of the input signal -- either through the speakers or via headphones. The monitor mix knob adjusts the balance between the direct inputs and the playback from your computer software.

It says that you can mix the vocal input with the computer tracks playback and send the mix wherever you want via the monitor connections.

The computer playback must be sent to the device via the device settings of the program you are using to play the tracks. The device monitor mix must be used to mix the two signals to your liking. As long as you can achieve playback from the computer, you should not need to care about any other Windows settings.

If you also want to record your vocals, as you wrote, you must use a recording program that allows recording and playback at the same time.,Some do, some don't. This part will require the proper Window settings for recording.

If your recording application provides for monitor playback of the mix, existing tracks plus new input, then that mix can be sent to you speakers or headphones via the device output, keeping the MAudio device monitor mix set to zero. This probably will mean greater latency between your vocal input and what you hear from the speakers. You have to find out if it is enough to be a problem.

Thanks for the info. I guess the only way to find out is to play around with it.

Are there any other devices that accomplish what I'm trying to do? I've searched around and the M-Track seems to be the best bet.

Reply #5
It is perhaps the most common thing to do with any professional recording setup. There may be some sound cards (not gaming/entertainment audio cards) that cannot, but I don't know of any in particular.

Reply #6
It is perhaps the most common thing to do with any professional recording setup. There may be some sound cards (not gaming/entertainment audio cards) that cannot, but I don't know of any in particular.

M-Audio and EMu are probably dominant in this product category.

Reply #7
Not according to the Thomann sales chart. They list

RME, Focusrite, Native Instruments, Steinberg and Berhinger

as the top sellers. More experience and better bundled software probably.

Reply #8
No doubt it is possible to sort by a number of values, come up with different ordered lists, and make notice of what is at the top of each of those lists, but there are quite a number of additional manufactures whose products possess the required functionality, as well as a good many different models and grades from most of those manufacturers.

Reply #9
Not according to the Thomann sales chart. They list

RME, Focusrite, Native Instruments, Steinberg and Berhinger

as the top sellers. More experience and better bundled software probably.

If I've got this right..

Thomann = EU

Arny = USA

;-)

USA retailers do not appear to be as forthcoming with sales figures by brand.