Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting stereo to binaural (Read 8513 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting stereo to binaural

Anyone know of a way to convert a normal stereo recording to a quasi-binaural recording (for listening with headphones)? 

I know there are some DSP plugins and such that will do something like that, and I'm wondering if there's something that really preserves accuracy and doesn't add an "artificial" quality to the soundstage -- something that sounds nearly like the original stereo had been recorded binaurally.  Any suggestions for specific programs or plugins (I use WinAMP)?

Reply #1
1. Use biophonic curve - sample eq file for foobar2k:
Code: [Select]

2. Use crossfeed. (order isn't very important, but there is a difference)
ruxvilti'a

Reply #2
I have been using crossfeed, but not the eq settings. Thanks for cluing me in.

Could you tell me where the equalzer is in foobar? I've never had to use it and I can't find it anywhere. I'm using .667

Reply #3
I wonder the effect when this EQ setting is used with loudspeakers...
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #4
Anyone know of a way to convert a normal stereo recording to a quasi-binaural recording (for listening with headphones)?

Binaural and regular stereo recording techniques are very different, so there is no way of converting a regular stereo recording into a true binaural equivalent, since the recording was not done binaural at all, and will lack tons of things you would have got at at a true binaural recording of the same source. With usual modern recordings, a binaural recording has not much sense. Only live events (concerts) are susceptible to be recorded binaurally.

Another thing is that you want that a regular stereo recording sounds the same using speakers or using headphones. This can be in theory be near perfectly achieved, but only for a particular room, listener location, speakers and headphones. And would require some acoustic measurements at that room, and some nice DSPing, mostly realtime convolution of responses.

A simpler and more generic approach is the use of a dsp crosfeed, that adds something similar in a gross manner to what the previous effect would add, and independently of the actual speakers/headphone/room used. However, some crossfeed parameters can be adjusted to try acomodate those in some gross way.

Reply #5
I think recording impuls responses with in-ear microphones (e.g. artificial head) one time from a pair of good speakers, one time with headphones and doing a "impulse response substraction" would work. Of course 4 channels would be needed because of crossfeed. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment, otherwise I'd already have tried.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #6
Yes, that would be the way of doing it. I believe it all can be done using Aurora set of plugins for CEP, but you need also a in-ear microphone to perform the measurements. But I think you could use your own head.

Reply #7
1. Use biophonic curve - sample eq file for foobar2k:
<snip>
2. Use crossfeed. (order isn't very important, but there is a difference)

Is this really correct?

"Ear canal resonance" should be the same no matter if you use headpones or speakers (besides the headphones are located in the "ear canal" - So at least at this position the curve could be improved, I guess.

And isn't there already some built-in equalization in crossfeed that takes that biphonic courve into account?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #8
No, crossfeed is just that, crossfeed.
Copying HF (don't know how high) parts of one channel to second minus 15dB AFAIK.
Ask Trelane for details.

Ear canal resonance is more pronounced using heaphones, I think.
I don't know exactly, I didn't create this curve.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #9
Could you tell me where the equalzer is in foobar? I've never had to use it and I can't find it anywhere. I'm using .667

The equaliser is part of the 'standard' dsp plugin. You can download this plugin from the front download page of Foobar2k.