Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: where can i download foobar2000 6 (Read 9642 times) previous topic - next topic

where can i download foobar2000 6

where can i download the last virsion of foobar cuz i dont like 7, id like to go back to 6, but can anyone give me a link to download the last one plz

Reply #1
You can download v.667 here.

Moderators/Dev People: if you don't want older versions being distributed feel free to delete this message. You're on your own for getting the site to update the file though. I don't speak German.

Reply #2
thanx alot man

Reply #3
Yeah, I'm so happy everytime I see another "i dont like version 7" lamer post. There is no single thing 0.667 does better than 0.7 (most likely it also had CPU usage issues that got fixed recently), please at least provide valid reasons for using old versions.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
I just try to help people out.

Me, I don't understand why people don't like v.7. As far as I can tell the CPU utilization hasn't changed noticably, and I'm not exactly running the newest gear (1gHz T-bird).

Methinks that in a lot of cases the CPU utilization gripes come from users who are using features that really don't gain any perceptable quality differences other than the placebo effect. Well, at least not on normal consumer quality hardware. Either that or they're too damn picky and relying on an unreliable gauge for their measurments.

It's their choice I'd say. Don't take it to heart. Until the lamer complaint posts become the majority, which they certainly aren't as far as I can tell, you can probably assume you are doing something right. Still, if you'd rather old versions not be distributed I can delete the link.

Reply #5
This person has apparently spent more time looking for old version than trying to configure new version to look like old version.
New version does use much less CPU for playback (removed floatingpoint=>fixedpoint conversion bottleneck), confirmed using more reliable methods than task manager. Perhaps some people believe only in some BS science about relationships between user interface appearance and "resource usage".

Reply #6
I posted once in one of these threads, never intending to offend anyone.  I am sure that 0.7 is far superior than 0.667, I had simply reformatted, and preferred to install 0.667 again as all of the plugins I used were only current for that version.  As well as waiting for plugins to be updated, I was hoping to use 0.667 until 0.7x is released without changing for a couple of days so that I was not updating the player so frequently.  I did not in any way intend to turn my nose at the progress that 0.7 represents, I apologize if that is how it came across.  Regardless, for what little it's worth, I do like the new version very much; I have replaced 0.667 even without all of the old plugins.

Reply #7
Solution, suggest all component developers that they open their sources, so someone else can recompile them for new version.

Reply #8
Hello.

I didn't notice that there is a new version of fb2k out, so I have to update my site. Havn't look around at the fb2k site for 3 or 4 weeks.

p.s. Sorry for my terrible english...

mfg, uli-76

Reply #9
Yeah, I'm so happy everytime I see another "i dont like version 7" lamer post. There is no single thing 0.667 does better than 0.7 (most likely it also had CPU usage issues that got fixed recently), please at least provide valid reasons for using old versions.

Some people don't know what is good 

Reply #10
where can i download the last virsion of foobar cuz i dont like 7, id like to go back to 6, but can anyone give me a link to download the last one plz

He's missing out on a lot.
I really can't figure out anything new in 0.7 that would make one return to 0.6. Practically every nifty feature in 0.6 has been carried over to 0.7.

Reply #12
Solution, suggest all component developers that they open their sources, so someone else can recompile them for new version.

If it was just a recompile I doubt there'd be a problem getting component developers to keep up with the lastest version.  This isn't the case for the .6 to .7 transition.  First pass compilation on my component yielded the max number of errors (100) before the compiler gives up which means the real number is much higher.

Going forward I hope the foobar SDK interfaces won't change as much as they did in the .6 to .7 releases or that maybe if such a major change is needed a new interface is introduced (play_control and play_control2 for example) so that the component developers can upgrade as time permits to new features but still compile compatible components for the lastest foobar2000 binary.

Reply #13
I will try to keep backwards compatibility, however it's often better to just nuke it than to pretend that old components are working correctly.

Reply #14
do u guys recommend updating to v0.7 eventhough it's in RC status or should i wait for the final version?

tia
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #15
Current RC definitely fixes more stuff than it possibly breaks. I'd recommend updating at least because it fixes dithering bottleneck from earlier versions (much lowered playback CPU usage).
Actually, I was planning to make only one or two RC's, but then user feedback flood after updating the site happened, and dithering speed snafu came up <insert rant about task manager cpu usage reports being useless>.

Reply #16
about the CPU-issue:

I only have an Pentium II 400MHz, Win2k SP3, Terratec X-fire 1024

average CPU-Usage (WITH noise-shaping):
KernelStreaming: 18% (0.7 betas)
KernelStreaming: 10% (0.7 RC10)
DirectSound: 0%

average CPU-Usage (NO noise-shaping):
KernelStreaming: 0%
DirectSound: 0%

So, to anyone having problems with CPU-Usage: try disabling noise-shaping, OR switching to directsound. It probably depends on the audio-drivers you use.

Foobar IS fast - i only have a 400MHz CPU and a really old Soundcard, and even i can get below 1% when playing MP3s.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #17
I'm sure slightly older build would be far worse in nondithered mode... took me a while to notice goddamned floor() being slow in floatingpoint=>fixedpoint converter. Nondithered mode is default now anyway.
Also, task manager reports are *not* reliable, use foo_null instead. I've seen task manager reporting usual 0% cpu usage when foo_null indicated that decoding is done only at 13x realtime (so actual cpu usage must have been about 7%).

Reply #18
Is it necessary, or reccommended, to uninstall the previous RC build when installing a new one?

- Agent 86

Reply #19
Nope, you can safely install over previous directory.
0.7 is "unhappy" when installed over 0.6* dir, because of new components directory and old components not being overwritten by new versions.

Reply #20
Is it necessary, or reccommended, to uninstall the previous RC build when installing a new one?

- Agent 86

Not necessary at all, infact I would recommend to install over old version to keep configuration and database intact.

Reply #21
The newer version is much, much nicer. Anyone who says otherwise is simply misguided. Don't listen to 'em, devs!

I agree that the task manager stats are not 100% accurate, but I would say that they do convey a general idea of what's going on, and so should not be completely disregarded. But even so - people shouldn't be making assumptions that are only based on it.

Reply #22
[edit] just found what i was looking for [/edit]
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #23
I could understand holding out until 0.7x final, but there is no way .667 is better. I could also understand keeping what works "if it ain't broke, dont fix it".

Reply #24
The main reason why I haven't changed is due to the fact that the CFG files I spent many hours configuring suddenly were obselete. I'm sure the new CFG files are much better but the end-users usually don't like when their old stuff they have learnt using doesn't work anymore. I figure that at least 50% of the nagging people have done is related to that. On the other hand, foobar is a great software so I most likely will stick with it. I just thought I tell you that since no-one seemed to know why. Thats my theory at least.