Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AC3 Encoders (Read 11453 times) previous topic - next topic

AC3 Encoders

Hey guys, new here, great forum must say.  Just wondering if people would like to post all the AC3 encoders they know about (commercial and freeware).  Cause I (and I'm sure others) want to encode AC3 Audio but I know some encoders are better than others and there maybe some I havent heard about.

Cheers, Lordreign

AC3 Encoders

Reply #1
There are three (software) encoders.

-Dolby v6.6.2: The version available on most popular encoders (SonicFoundry SoftEncode, DigiGram, old Surcode)

-Dolby v7: Newer Surcode, SonicFoundry Acid plugin

-ffmpeg: Quite bad quality proof of concept. It's just a basic implementation of the AC3 algorithms with minimal tweaking. But it's free.

And then, of course, there are the Dolby hardware encoders.

AC3 Encoders

Reply #2
I can think of 4.

Sonic Foundry's Softencode 1.0, this comes in two versions, 2.channel version and 5.1 channel version. Well they both can handle fewer channels also. I think this program was quite buggy when I tried it 2 years ago. It is't updated anylonger.
It uses a 'codec' from dolby digital

Minnetonka's SurCode, this can handle 5.1 channel, and the output is exactly the same as with Softencode 1.0. This makes me believe they both are really using the same code from Dolby.

Liquifier pro 4 and 5 has an ac3 coding feature. The output-files are not raw ac3format, but packed within a .lqt container or something. I don't remember if they are playable in winamp... The code is licenced from Dolby, i think.

AC3enc is a freeware ac3 encoder, I've never tried it, and don't know about it's quality compared to the dolby ones.

I wonder if Digigram has an ac3 encoder also, i can't remember, but they've got a DTS encoder at least...

OK, rjamorim was faster and more detailed...

AC3 Encoders

Reply #3
Sonic Scenarist includes support for all of the major DVD-Video sound formats including 24-bit, 96 KHz High-Density Audio™, MPEG-2 audio, Dolby-certified Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround sound. Includes a Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder to convert PCM files into the most commonly used high-quality audio standard on DVD.

Liquifier pro 4 and 5 has an ac3 coding feature. The output-files are not raw ac3format, but packed within a .lqt container or something. I don't remember if they are playable in winamp... The code is licenced from Dolby, i think.

There is a plug-in for winamp that permits playing lqt. I have 2 different versions, but better to use the Liquid Player if you used alot of tagging in your file, such as homepages, purchasing info.....

Microsoft now owns the IP of Liquid Audio, obtaining 20 different patents, paid $7 million in cash for. Of which MS also gets the DRM technology used in LA. Unsure if they were transferred the Dolby AAC & AC3 rights which was used in Liquid Audio.

also there is the AZID AC3 decoder.

AC3 Encoders

Reply #4
I like Nuendo Dolby Digital Encoder... If you use Nuendo anyway...