Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s % (Read 4316 times) previous topic - next topic

%l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %

Hi everybody. I've been through vaious threads but I don't seem to get it all right I guess.
I downloaded lame-3.90.3 after I#ve been using 3.90.2 for a while and was wondering if the pre sets still apply. Well if my memory serves me right the ol' known pre sets still do apply.
I loaded the MP3 profile that is in my EAC profile box just to see what pre set it was. Since I've been into mpc for quite a while I barely remember what the deal was w. the pre set, so therefore pretty confudsed I found myself when I noticed
this line in EAC's check box. %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %

Can some folk please tell me in short if this one is O.K. or wether or not I find myself in a spooky house? If wrong, what's the right c. line?
Thanx a bunch in advance

Reply #1
The command line basically means that if you select low quality in EAC, you'll get the command line --alt-preset 128 and if you choose high quality, you'll get --aps.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #2
Well, as you will know by now, I'm not too familiar w. the strings and add ons. I STFW etc. and decided to be happy w. the command lines from Pio's post #1 of the recomm. section sticky. Seems like there here to stay, even w, the latest recom. Lame encoder. At least that's how I understood it.
What I read too and what I found wasn't too clearly, at least to me, was the fact that you'd have to add  %s %d at the end of the line in the EAC checkbox. So I did, just like  --alt-preset standart %s %d  for instance.
I'd like to repost a question that remained unanswered in this forum ages ago. What's the difference between choosing "external compressor" and "Lame.." from the pull down menu in EAC's compression Options?
To me it looks like the same thing since I would have to give it the "Lame.exe" path to my system 32 folder.
Thank's a bunch

http://www.noveo.net/tigre/EAC/EAC_lame_01.png

Reply #3
1)  %s %d is for source/directory, so lame can output the correct tags/filenames and put the new mp3 in the dir.

2)  Lame sends the parameters from EAC options AND the command line you put in.  External Compressor sends ONLY the command line.  Alot cleaner this way, and I believe its been proven that when Lame is chosen and no other options are checked, it still adds stuff to the command line.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
Just for the sake of clarity. When you say "external compressor" you mean "User defined encoder", as displayed in the drop-down list in the image you provided, right?

Reply #5
Yupp, "User defined encoder", that's what I means. I was still sleepy this morning c.e.t.
Since we're at it, here's an other Q.  about what's in the latest rec. Lame "read me file".
It says  LAME V3.93.1 on top even though I've downloaded 3.90.3.
Further on it goes......

VBR modes
--preset medium

--preset extreme

--preset extreme

......etc. Don't you need to write "--alt-....." as a prefix no more? Plus, to what version would that apply? What version did I actually download?

P.S. The tags say "3.90.3", so I strongly asume that the "read me file" is screwed up. Thanx for any further clarification. BTW. What day do we have?
Still confused burn out