Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Different tag type fields (Read 5027 times) previous topic - next topic

Different tag type fields

I'm working on a general purpose tag type fields reference but I came to the conclusion I need some more input from other users.
So far I created a reference including tag fiels of ID3v2, OGG and APE fields listing what different field names are being used for storing the same or different information into audio files.
You can find the results here: http://hobba.hobba.nl/audio/tag_frame_reference.html
The information included at the moment is only based on the specs and recommendations available.

For as far as I know these 3 types of tags are the ones used the most. At the moment I'm only interested in tag type which are being used on a relatively large scale, but tag type which have significant advantages compared to those listing might have to be included as well.

Which important tag type(s) am I missing so far?
Also, e.g. the APE tag type is being used in different audio format's lately. What I would like to find out is which tags are (or can be) being used in which audio files. Also taking into account if it should be done in the first place.

A problem is the use of "home made fields". E.g. according to the ID3v2 specs (at least in the specs I found) GENREID should be used instead of just GENRE which is being used in almost all cases for ID3. The same goes for URL in e.g. APE tags (assuming APE is being used in Musepack audio files). Are there other widely implemented field names which should be included in to the list? If yes, in whoch tag type are they being used? (maybe also taking into account if players or tag programs actually use those tags)

ReplayGain is something to include as well but can I be "sure" to say all ReplayGain field names are the same in the different tags? (replaygain_track_gain, replaygain_track_peak, replaygain_album_gain, replaygain_album_peak)

I know I'm asking a lot but most tags aren't well documented or the information is hard to find. It would be a great help as well if you guys can provide me with more uri's containing important information.

P.s. Please let me know of any mistakes made as well

Reply #1
What version of ID3 are you refering to?

Reply #2
More or less the same goes for APE tags, APEv1 tags are used in Monkey's Audio files (the latest alpha/beta releases use APEv2), APEv2 tags are used in MPC. But Foobar2000 will write APEv2 tags to Monkey's Audio files too for example. Also, I believe very old versions of Monkey's Audio used ID3v1(.1?).
The best APE tag reference I know of is located at:
http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/sv8/apetag.html
The Hydrogenaudio Wiki also has some information on tags in general:
http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydrogenaudio/Tagging

As for important tagging formats, I would definitely take a look at the Matroska tags (see the HA Wiki), it's the most sophisticated tagging standard ever created.

Reply #3
You may also want to find out what kind of tag an mp4 uses.

Reply #4

ID3v2, like mentioned in the first post
Just ID3v2 because ID3v1 are very limited and they will be included in ID3v2 automaticly.
I could mark them but a seperate column for just ID3v1 would be over the top imo.

[edit]
Oh, maybe you where refering to the use of ID3v1 tags in different audio formats?
I That case I would like to know about both ID3v1 and ID3v2.
...Again realized you where probably aiming at which exact version: ID3v2.4.0 as I'm only interested in the actual names used (ARTIST instead of TPE1, etc.)

@Jasper, good you mentioned the wiki, I might as well add the list once it's completed
[/edit]

Reply #5
As for important tagging formats, I would definitely take a look at the Matroska tags (see the HA Wiki), it's the most sophisticated tagging standard ever created.

I would say "most sophisticated consumer tagging format" as MPEG-7 is undoubtedly the most sophisticated tagging format ever.  However, not many consumers need to be able to tag a portion of a single video frame. 

(The current matroska tagging system could be easily extended to do this, however there is no point right now)

Reply #6

ID3v2, like mentioned in the first post 

He possible meant to ask if you meant ID3v2.3.0 or ID3v2.4.0

Reply #7
Ok, the list has been significantly updated, therefor I created a seperate file:
http://hobba.hobba.nl/audio/tag_frame_reference.html
the list now includes the Matroska tag fields as well.

So far it only contains "official" tag type fields.
I'm a bit confused about the GENREID field in ID3 tags, all files seem to be using just GENRE instead of GENREID which is created for this purpose, does anyone know more about this?
Also e.g. URL seems to be listed nowhere but it is being used in a wide area...

Reply #8
Prodoc has helped out a lot in pointing to several errors in the Matroska Tags specs with missing and mislabeled tags. The list of his looks like it will really shape up well and be a useful reference for a lot of people.  If you spot common tags that are used in things like fb2k that are missing from the chart, please list them here.