Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: replay gain track peak? (Read 6231 times) previous topic - next topic

replay gain track peak?

in the AAC forum I was asking about a program that checked for errors and clipping for my AAC files and they reffered me to foobar and scan it with replay gain, and if the track peak is more than 1, that means there is clipping, but the thing all, everything I scanned was ripped straight from the CD, why would there be clipping?

replay gain track peak?

Reply #1
It may have been mastered that way.  Since the loudness race got into full gear, mastering engineers have become sloppy in their ways.

replay gain track peak?

Reply #2
Any lossy encoder will alter the waveform of the original in some way. If the original recording was very close to clipping, this may cause the encoded file to clip.

It depends a lot on the mastering of the CD whether this happens or not. (The worse/louder the mastering, the more chance)

replay gain track peak?

Reply #3
how do I eliminate clipping?

replay gain track peak?

Reply #4
Replaygaining (recommended) or modifying/lowering the waveform before encoding (not recommended).

replay gain track peak?

Reply #5
so do I just scan it with replaygain and thats it?

replay gain track peak?

Reply #6
so do I just scan it with replaygain and thats it?

Well then you need to play it in a player that can read and use RG tags (such as foobar2k). Either that or you can just use foobar's disk writer and write the files as new files with RG emposed on them.

replay gain track peak?

Reply #7
Theres also a plugin for winamp 5 that lets it read foobar's gain tags.  So if you use foobar and winamp5 you can avoid clipping.

replay gain track peak?

Reply #8
What does the Replaygain Peak numbers measure?

eg.
replaygain_album_peak = 1.133234

Does a value of 1 = 0 db (100%)?

Is it possible to display it in +- db?

replay gain track peak?

Reply #9
What does the Replaygain Peak numbers measure?

eg.
replaygain_album_peak = 1.133234

Does a value of 1 = 0 db (100%)?

Is it possible to display it in +- db?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234007"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's easy to calculate:

20*log[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']10[/span](1.133234)=+1.09 dB FS

In dB FS (i.e. decibels above digital full scale) positive numbers indicate clipping.

Cheers,
David.

replay gain track peak?

Reply #10
Thanks.