Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fixed ABC/HR for Java (Read 4834 times) previous topic - next topic

Fixed ABC/HR for Java

During the discussion of Roberto's (now cancelled) 128kbit listening test, some issues about ABC/HR for Java came up (see this thread). I realize I should have made this version of ABC/HR for Java available for testing before the listening test started, so these issues could be found and fixed in time. So that's what I'm doing now.

You can download a fixed version of ABC/HR for Java here.

It's supposed to address the following problems:
  • Clicking noises on start of file. (see this post)
  • Time indicator shows different length for some samples. (see this post)
  • Crash while opening saved sessions. (see this post)
  • Also, I implemented new playback code, which is supposed to eliminate the deadlocks which some people experienced during the AAC test.
If you want to help testing, please do not start the application from Windows Explorer (or whatever). Instead, use the command "java -jar abchr.jar" from a command line. Java will print debug info when the application crashes which can be helpful in finding bugs.

Thanks for your help.

edit: I also tried to address the problem that Java reduces the volume of the samples (as mentioned here). Gain correction now finds the peak value from all the samples and then sets the gain value so all samples are equally loud and at the same time as loud as possible without producing clipping. This can't compensate for Java's volume reduction completely but it might alleviate the effect a little.

Fixed ABC/HR for Java

Reply #1
I didn't realize the clicking problem had worsened since the AAC test.  But this version seems to be as quiet (or maybe more so) as it was before.  At most, I only hear one minor (i.e., very soft) click a little after starting playback, which is dependent on the position I start from.  It was pretty much the same everywhere, too, so nothing would be given away.  The very obvious clicking which un-hid the reference is gone.

I tested on Hongroise.wav

Volume is increased significantly when gain correction is applied, which will be important for very quiet samples.

Playback indicator is constant and doesn't give away codecs.

Nice job.

ff123

Fixed ABC/HR for Java

Reply #2
I should clarify.  Specifically, the clicking which has been eliminated is the one I hear if I start playback from time 0 using Hongroise.wav.

The much softer clicking which one can occasionally hear if starting from somewhere in the middle is still there, but as good as it was for the AAC test.  I'm not sure if increasing the gain makes the clicking softer relative to the music.

For others who want to test using Roberto's files, you should set up manually so you can apply the new gain correction.

ff123

Fixed ABC/HR for Java

Reply #3
Thanks for testing, ff123.

If there are no more complaints, I'll just suggest to Roberto to use this version in the listening test.