Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: distinguish a pressed cd rip from a burnt cd one (Read 6278 times) previous topic - next topic

distinguish a pressed cd rip from a burnt cd one

is it possible to distinguish between a rip made from an original pressed CD and one from a burnt CD?

how?

i would like to know this because i would like to know what i download

Reply #1
No. As long as it is a plain copy, and nothing in layout or audio quality is changed.

Reply #2
is it possible to distinguish between a rip made from an original pressed CD and one from a burnt CD?

how?

i would like to know this because i would like to know what i download

A copy of a pressed CD is going to be bit for bit identical to the orginal (well assuming the reader and burner are working properly), so theres no way to tell.

Reply #3
Depends on the recording software.. If it's burnt with CloneCD, it's usually a bit-for-bit exact copy of the original. It even keeps the HDCD stuff.

Reply #5
Depends on the recording software.. If it's burnt with CloneCD, it's usually a bit-for-bit exact copy of the original. It even keeps the HDCD stuff.

CloneCD has many tricks for copying data CDs, but it can't always make a bit-for-bit copy, especially with such protections as SafeDisc (it patches weak sectors instead), or some newer ones.
For audio, CloneCD is a very basic and uninteresting ripper. The copies are not bit-for-bit identical, because it doesn't correct offsets, unlike Plextools or EAC.
And any audio ripper can keep the HDCD stuff.

Reply #6
This tool should help you determine whether the files were transcoded : http://www.true-audio.com/ftp/auCDtect-0.7-beta.zip

This app might help you determine whether his files are WAVs which were made from MP3s - but if I understood correctly, it shouldn't solve his problem.

Reply #7
CloneCD has many tricks for copying data CDs, but it can't always make a bit-for-bit copy, especially with such protections as SafeDisc (it patches weak sectors instead), or some newer ones.
For audio, CloneCD is a very basic and uninteresting ripper. The copies are not bit-for-bit identical, because it doesn't correct offsets, unlike Plextools or EAC.
And any audio ripper can keep the HDCD stuff.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=223458"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True.. What would you suggest? I've been trying out Alcohol 120% and been seeing promising results. Unfortunately (Thanks to the EU), it's now illegal.

Reply #8
What would you suggest? [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For what purpose ?
If you want to copy audio CD perfectly, use EAC, or Plextools.
If you want to copy any CD bit for bit, you're out of luck, CD burners have much less abilities than professional cutters for pressed CDs. There are many things that they can't access (C2 errors, twin sectors, weak sectors...)
If you want to backup copy protected audio CDs, you should find a drive that doesn't see the protection and reads it like a normal CD.
If you want to backup protected CD ROMs, you're in the wrong forum.

Reply #9
The only common differences that I could think of between a CD extracted & burnt with EAC (assuming it was extracted without errors & a CUE sheet) & an original is sample offsets which is only milliseconds anyway but means the CD is not a bit-exact copy. Many drives don't allow overreading into the offset.

Reply #10
Many drives don't allow overreading into the offset.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228979"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, that's right! But almost every CD begins and ends with half second of digital silence (in average), so maily this is not an issue...
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #11

And any audio ripper can keep the HDCD stuff. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=223458"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly.  I think "HDCD" is somewhat of a misnomer since the extra bits are in the 16-bit bit stream and requires HDCD-aware software.  If anything, the technology probably makes the CD sound worse for ordinary players (though I doubt perceptibly so).

Dave

Reply #12
What would you suggest? [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For what purpose ?
If you want to copy audio CD perfectly, use EAC, or Plextools.
If you want to copy any CD bit for bit, you're out of luck, CD burners have much less abilities than professional cutters for pressed CDs. There are many things that they can't access (C2 errors, twin sectors, weak sectors...)
If you want to backup copy protected audio CDs, you should find a drive that doesn't see the protection and reads it like a normal CD.
If you want to backup protected CD ROMs, you're in the wrong forum.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228941"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pio,
Sorry, this diverging a bit from the topic, but do you have a link to a FAQ or something which explains the acceptable range of C1 errors from recorded CD-Rs, when scanning media with tools such as Plextools, KProbe, and CD-Speed, etc?  Specifically, I'm trying to recall what a good total C1 error count might be for a freshly burned CD.  Also wondering if there is a per-sector (or other unit) threshold for C1 errors...
Hmm.. I have some 1-2 year old recorded CDs which were thoroughly scanned at the time after burning.  I should recheck some of them and report the results in the appropriate place -- don't recall which forum(s), offhand.  Most were recorded on 74 min. Memorex, 80 min. Sony, or 74 min. Mitsui (Gold and Silver).

Dave

Reply #13
For C1 the officially acceptable max rate is 220 errors a second.  IIRC, it is 1/hr for C2, but generally C2s are considered unacceptable.
From CDFreaks' media archive:
Code: [Select]
The error values are also displayed in the top area of the image. You will see the "max", "total" and "average" counts showing there. Max and total are the most important values, the average count is just that, an average of all the error values on the scan. It can be misleading sometimes, so don't fall into the trap of using the average counts as a measure of "quality". A disc can have fairly high average C1 value, and still be a very good burn.
In VERY general terms any C1 average count under 10 might be acceptable, but higher values are not always the end of the world either. But, on CDR's we prefer to see avarage C1 counts under 2, with max counts under 20.

Post your scans to CDFreaks' CD-R(W) Media tests archive. Be sure to read the posting guidelines thoroughly first.