Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gettin\' MacGyver on a driver (Read 3357 times) previous topic - next topic

Gettin\' MacGyver on a driver

About a week ago I sent a chair flying into my loudspeaker where it did considerable damage to the woofer cone. I've owned these speakers for long time and they weren't terribly expensive but finding a matching 7 ohm woofer seemed hopeless. Figured I'd take a shot at repairing the cone myself.

I couldn't find my trusty superglue but I did find the 2-barrel epoxy dispenser. After applying scotch tape to the back of the cone for support I brushed the damaged areas with epoxy. Several hours later I removed the tape and put a very thin smear on the backside.

I hooked them up blindly unable to tell which was which (details available, just ask)and played a number of heavy metal double-kick drum tracks. I actually got it wrong, I took the baffle off to discover I had the undamaged one. This is better than I hoped and thought it would appeal to those do-it-yourself-ers out there.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #1
Originally posted by Destroid
About a week ago I sent a chair flying into my loudspeaker

Why so much violence?

Was it playing Britney Spears?

Reply #2
Duct Tape will work wonders. I have repaired a few speakers with it. Possibly not as good as this solution. But it works in a pinch. Duct Tape can fix just about everything. World peace? No problem. Duct tape can do it!

Reply #3
"Duct tape is like the force.  It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'