Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about batch processing (Read 3340 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about batch processing

Hi. This may seem like a silly question, but I'm new to the whole FLAC thing.  I've been using it to decode files I d/l, but not to encode.  Now I've done my research and am ready to switch from SHN to FLAC.  HOWEVER, I wish to change the options that the standard front-end employs.  I can get everything to work from the DOS command line, except the standard "*.wav".  In other words, using flac -P 4096 -etc -etc *.wav does NOT work.  Is there a way to use the command line (or change the output of the front-end) for a batch of files, without having to type in the name of each individual file?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Reply #1
Flac's CLI doesn't support wildcards at the moment.  You'll have to rely on the old standby:
for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -etc  %1

Reply #2
Thanks for the help, it worked.  Although, it changes the output names to all capitals.  Any way to fix that? 

Follow-up question:
The frontend creates a batch file in DOS to process the files that looks like this:

@echo off
C:
cd "C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLAC"
win2dos go.bat
flac --delete-input-file -V -5 "F:\Audio Files\Filet01.wav"
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flac --delete-input-file -V -5 "F:\Audio Files\Filet02.wav"
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I create a similar file using the command line you suggested? [for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V -5 %1]  I've tried many ways, but must be missing something.  Or maybe I'm just tired...

Thanks again!

Reply #3
If I were you I would learn a better scripting language such as Perl or Python. This would give you a very powerful ally for a long time to manage your stuff.

I only use the former one but someone who is used to conceptually complete scripting solution when I tried to use cmd.exe I came across a lot of problems and I decided that it is not worth the time.

All IMHO

Triza

Reply #4
If I were you I would learn a better scripting language such as Perl or Python. This would give you a very powerful ally for a long time to manage your stuff.

I only use the former one but someone who is used to conceptually complete scripting solution when I tried to use cmd.exe I came across a lot of problems and I decided that it is not worth the time.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233769"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm working on a WSH (Windows Script Host) program to batch process with Flac.exe.  It's kind of on the back burner right now, but when I get it done I'll be happy to share.

Incidently, WSH, which uses VBScript or JavaScript as it's programming language, is quite powerful on the Windows platform.  It has native access to many, many system functions and if you already use VBScript or JavaScript in your work it is very easy to pick up.
----
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Moderation: removed long off-topic signature.[/span]
------- Rick -------
--------------------