Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using FLAC to rip my audio CD collection (Read 3546 times) previous topic - next topic

Using FLAC to rip my audio CD collection

I'd like to re-rip my entire audio CD collection to a lossless format for archival purposes. I selected FLAC because I heard about it through the Ogg project. Now... im on a quest for the perfect flac settings/args.

I've decided to NOT use the one file / cue sheet layout as I'd like to keep the albums laid out in such a way that it can be easy/trival to encode vorbis files or other formats off of them.

I think I'll stick with the standard flac container rather the Ogg Flac container as I don't see how it could be beneficial to a simple audio CD collection.

I also want to embed comments that match my filenaming scheme;

Artist Name - Album Name - Track Number - Track Name

This metaflac vs typical ID3tag vs ? is all very confusing me to. Im not sure what the proper way to embed those 4 elements to the file.

Anyways, my question to you guys is;

What flac settings would you use for a good, long-term audio CD collection ripped to FLAC?

Using FLAC to rip my audio CD collection

Reply #1
If encoding speed is not decisive, you could use

Code: [Select]
-8 --padding=4096 --tag=artist="%a" --tag=title="%t" --tag=album="%g" --tag=tracknumber="%n" %s

in EAC to create your FLAC files.

If you need to increase encoding speed, change the first argument to something lower.

If you also want to include the album date or a track comment in your tags, just add

Code: [Select]
--tag=date="%y" or --tag=comment="%e"

respectively.