Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_pdacontrol (Read 12341 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_pdacontrol

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move it if so.

foo_pdacontrol is a remote control interface for foobar2000 (with the foo_controlserver plugin)

This app will let you control playback (and playback mode) and search your playlist from your PDA (over a wireless network connection).  Simply start it up, it connects to the foo_controlserver plugin running on your desktop.

here's a screenshot of the main screen from VS.NET

Alltogether it's a pretty simple app.  Just connects to the port on your remote machine and sends commands and gets feedback.  Thanks very much to bluestat for his awesome foo_controlserver plugin which is really what this builds on and makes this app possible. 

It's pretty much done for all the features I initially had planned.  If anyone has any feature ideas, please let me know and I'll be glad to work on it.  I am limited by what foo_controlserver is capable of however.  Things like switching the current play list is not possible with the current version of foo_controlserver.

http://www.rootedbox.com/public/foo_pdacontrol.zip
Source

You need the foo_controlserver plugin ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=26040 ) plugin in foobar and the compact framework ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en ) on your PDA to make this work.
Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #1
Oh yea, for this to work properly, your Fields setting in the foo_controlserver plugin need to look like this

;ALBUM ARTIST;ARTIST;ALBUM;DATE;GENRE;TRACKNUMBER;TITLE

and the features (which I thought I had typed for some reason)  include:

-> Playback Controls (as seen in the screenshot, but no support for foo_shuffle playback)
-> Loading entire playlist, viewing by artist
-> Searching playlist
-> Volume control
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #2
"ever heard of PNG?"
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #3
To make it a measly 220k smaller?  GEEZ.....=)

Thanks for the tip.
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #5
That'd require writing a foo_controlserver replacement with those features.

I may do that in time, but I'd have to get up on the foobar sdk first....

That would be the best way to go though, because right now I really can't add much (any?) functionality to this app without extending foo_controlserver.  Well, not any functionality that involves interacting with foobar anyways.
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #6

That would be the best way to go though, because right now I really can't add much (any?) functionality to this app without extending foo_controlserver.  Well, not any functionality that involves interacting with foobar anyways.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foo_controlservers author, [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showuser=7694]Bluestat[/url], seems to have vanished from earths surface. Neither is there any sources to be found. It's a pity since it's such a damn nice and useful plug and nothing ensures that it will remain compatible with future foobar versions. If you actually try to write a replacement, these are the features I'm missing in current version:

1) Support for the playbackmodes added by kode54's foo_shuffle, like "shuffle", "shuffle album", etc.

2) Ability to list and switch between open playlists.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #7

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you do decide to do that, you might consider contacting [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showuser=17166]iosart[/url]. He has expressed some interest in developing an improved remote control component.

See: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=29308

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #8
My Foobar equivalent to Netremote + J.River MCE is Xlobby.
erikt

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #9
My Foobar equivalent to Netremote + J.River MCE is Xlobby.
erikt
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ErikT -

I tried XLobby, got it to communicate with my PDA (iPaq4705).  But the music screens are unreadable if configured for PC menus.  If configured for PPC menus, they only paint about 1/3 of the iPaq's screen.  What skin do you use?  Do you have this problem with your PDA?

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #10
Hi. This looks great but the download link is broken. Does anyone have a good link? I don't have a PDA yet but thinking of getting one just to control foobar

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #12
Sorry, I deleted that folder while cleaning up some stuff on my site.

The most recent source archive is here
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #13
Sorry, I deleted that folder while cleaning up some stuff on my site.

The most recent source archive is here
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288202"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi

It works well on my ipaq1940 but it sometimes quit with error messages.
Is there any chance for a newer and improved version? It would be great! Because I plan to build a "music only" computer and I can't find a native remote control for foobar except your promising application.

thanks

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #14
Not likely, sorry.  I don't even have an iPaq anymore.  I haven't really been keeping up with foobar development lately....are there any new remote control API's for it?  I remember someone a while back (the FoxyTunes guy I think) was suggesting one but the devs didn't sound interested (should be a plugin they said).

I vaguely remember the exiting without error problem though...I think it happened whenever you had too large of a playlist loaded into memory and then tried some other functions....I think that's what caused it.  Try to keep your playlist size down and it may prevent that bug.

Anyone else is welcome to take this app over though.  There aren't many features that can be added to it though unless it makes use of another remote control API.  I'm pretty sure I ended up using all of the features of that telnet remote plugin.
Aldous Huxley

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #15
I'm sad to heard it...unfortunatly I'm not a software developer so I will try to find an other solution.
Thank you for your work and the answer.

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #16
Is it possible to make it for MS Smartphones ? Just change the screen resolution to 176x220

foo_pdacontrol

Reply #17
Follow up: Bluestat has now released foo_controlserver with source, look here
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts