Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Discussion] List of recommended LAME settings (Read 305480 times) previous topic - next topic

[Discussion] List of recommended LAME settings

Sine LAME 3.97b1 has been released very recently, here's a preliminary version of the new recommended settings thread (aka. --aps is dead). It's not finished yet and some stuff, which remains to be cleaned up is the collection of links and the EAC instructions.

The old thread will always be available here.

This is a request for comments. Suggestions and questions are welcome.
--------------------------------------------------------

Updated 2005-03-12

These settings require Lame 3.95 or later.  Lame 3.97 found on this website is the recommended version. (Check here [fixme] to download).

Note:  At a given bitrate range, the quality scale usually works to where VBR is higher quality than ABR which is higher quality than CBR (CBR < ABR < VBR in terms of quality).  The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (--alt-preset insane).

-------------------------------------------------
Recommended encoder settings:

-V2 is generally considered transparent... [fixme]

[fixme: add note about vbr-new]

-V 2 (~190 kbit/s, typical 170 ... 220)

-V 1 (~210 kbit/s, typical 200 ... 250)

-V 0 (~240 kbit/s, typical 220 ... 270)

Custom settings:
-V n
Example: -V 4 . The range goes from 9 (worst) to 0 (best).
A detailed dicussion over the target bitrates can be found here.

Update: Completely revamped the whole thread to accomodate the new recommended version (3.97).

Recommended ABR (average bitrate) settings:

--abr <bitrate>
Example:
--abr 200

Recommended CBR (constant bitrate) settings:

-b <bitrate>
Example:
-b 192

Setting up EAC for lame.exe with tagging

Based on Case's tutorial

Select compression options from EAC menu.
Open 'External Compression' tab.

1. Check 'Use external program for compression'
  2. Change 'Parameter passing scheme' to 'User Defined Encoder'
  3. Set file extension to .mp3
  4. Click 'Browse' and locate 'lame.exe'
  5. Change 'Additional command line options' to one of the following commandlines
  6. Check 'Delete WAV after compression'
  7. Uncheck 'Add ID3 tag'

ID3v1:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v1 and ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

APEv2: (requires wapet.exe)
%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" lame.exe -V 2 --vbr-new %s %d

(You can change -V 2 to any setting/preset you'd like to use)

These commandlines are generally recommended over EAC's own tagging routines and its LAME encoder parameter passing preset, which is known to cause problems.
The bitrate setting serves a cosmetic purpose and is used for the size display in EAC's main window.

Useful links

(Latest LAME compiles)
Dmitry's compiles
Rarewares.org MP3 section

(MP3 Information sites)
Hydrogen Audio
Decoder test by David Robinson

(MP3 Forums)
Hydrogenaudio MP3 forum

(Exact Audio Copy) - the best CD ripper & encoding (& tagging) to MP3 (or MPC, Ogg Vorbis) during ripping
Official site
Tutorial for EAC
EAC forum

(LAME Frontends)
RazorLame
ALL2LAME

HeadAC3he by Dark Avenger : ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2
BeSweet by DSPGuru : ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2 with batch-possibility

(Renaming / ID3 Tagging / Music Database)
Tag + Tag Frontend
Helium2
Renatager
MPTagger
More tagging information & programs
CDIndexer : for CD-Audio & data-CDs
MAC: Mpeg Audio Collection

(MP3 Gain) - lossless gain change / "normalizing"!
Official site
Basic Guide to avoid clipping

(How to)
Burn an MP3 CD
Reencode mp3 (high bitrate with ID3 tags) to mp3 (low bitrate) and include tags to new mp3 file  : Try Monkeys Audio http://www.monkeysaudio.com/, or maybe better: foobar 2000, use the CLI encoder: http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/html/foobar.html
MPC -> MP3 by MPCxchange

(Analyzing MP3)
EncSpot
ff123's artefact training
Tool for ABXing, Blind listening tests
ff123's site: Discussion of Audio Compression including sites to evaluate your own capability of listening
Training of musically listening good-ear.com
Training of listening to encoder's artefacts pcabx.com
MP3Utility

QuickSFV, SVF and MD5 checksums for files

[color=royal blue]-------------------------------------------------
Credits
-------------------------------------------------[/color]

A big thanks to all LAME developers for making one kickass MP3 codec.

People who took part in suggesting the different settings:
Dibrom, r3mix, ff123, Hans Heijden, kjempen, Benjamin Lebsanft, GeSomeone, Wombat.

Creation of the alt preset system and related special code level quality enhancements:
Dibrom, with technical assistance from Robert Hegemann and Naoki Shibata and extensive tuning help and quality verification via listening tests from JohnV and also initial help (--dm-preset era) from Hans Heijden, ff123, Wombat, and others.  Test clips, bitrate information, and further listening tests provided by TheBashar, zbutsam, Pio2001, BadDuDeX, r3mix, h, TarX, Hans Heijden, ff123, Wombat, Filburt, Volcano, Garf, MrDrew, TrNSZ, nyaochi, Amadeus93, in no particular order, and many, many others I (Dibrom) probably forgot to mention.. (msg me to be added)

Idea (also exposing the need for a unified preset system), Original post and list of original settings collected by: user
Layout and additional work by: CiTay, SNYder, Dibrom, dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #1
Comments will be moved into a seperate thread once LAME 3.97 is released and this takes the place of the old thread.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
I'm really glad to see this.  I have great results with 3.97 alphas, and I think its time that it be recommended.  Compared to other codecs, the sheer amount of testing/refinement its recieved makes it more then stable/safe enough to recommend IMO.

Reply #3
I know this is all prelim still but the :
Updated 2005-03-12

These settings require Lame 3.95 or later. Lame 3.97 found on this website is the recommended version. (Check here to download).

... link results in a 404 Page Not Found.

Edit: And tada... its now fixed 

Reply #4
thanks all.
now things will finally start looking intelligent for a noob visiting HA for advice. 

Reply #5
Comments and suggestions:

1. The current version lacks an explanation about what happened to the (alt-)presets. This is going to be among the first things people are going to ask about, as they might wonder if and why they have been replaced, if they were possibly dropped for quality reasons, and if they can still use them without worrying. Explain that normal parameters and presets are based on the same code and thus equal, and show some examples about how they correspond to each other, the more complete, the better.

2. Either explain why -V 0 is yellow or remove the coloring. I agree to educate people about the unlikelihood of increasing the quality with higher settings, but if they nevertheless want to have higher bitrates for whatever reason, this use of colors might cause uncertainty, and people might be going to ask there is anything wrong with -V 0 or -V 1.

3. --vbr-new. I don't know if there is a general consensus about if it increases the quality throughout all bitrates, if the developers are going to make it default, and if it should be recommended here for some or all -V settings at all. But as it has played a decisive role during the alpha testing, this parameter should be addressed here. I'm sure you will come up with an unbiased explanation like "--vbr-new encodes faster and has been proven to be able to achieve a higher quality in blind listening tests".

For my German forum AudioHQ, I compiled a table with all recommended settings, feel free to use it as an inspiration.

Reply #6

[-V0; -V1; -V2]

Recommended for what? It's not precised. For transparency I suppose. But what about -V3 then? I suppose that for most people, -V3 (and maybe even -V4) produce transparent encodings.

Reply #7
These settings require Lame 3.95 or later.  Lame 3.97 found on this website is the recommended version. (Check here [fixme] to download).

I reckon it will be better to have LAME 3.97 first on a line of it's own: it'll make it stand out clearer, that 3.97 is the recommended one.  Then have another line saying that the following settings require 3.95 or above.

Custom settings:
-V n
Example: -V 4 . The range goes from 9 (worst) to 0 (best).
A detailed dicussion over the target bitrates can be found here.

Isn't the table in the wiki better? here.  Might have to be careful with the refs to the presets on this page though??

Reply #8
The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (--alt-preset insane).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281535"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it would be better to mention -b 320 instead of --api.

Reply #9
I agree with guru. I think presets below V2 should be recommended as well.

How about something like this:
---

In terms of quality VBR is better than ABR which is better than CBR.

VBR is recommended when quality is the most important. VBR produces files with constant quality but with a varying bitrate, usually within certain limits. Recommended VBR settings:
-V0 [insert target bitrate range here]
-V1 [as above]
-V2 [as above] - usually transparant for most [recommended transparant setting]
-V3 [as above]
-V4 [as above]
-V5 [as above] - a good 128kbps CBR replacement
-V6 [as above]
-V7 [as above]
-V8 [as above]

ABR is recommended when file size predictability is important. The file produced is still VBR but the final bitrate usually ends up within +-5(?) kbps from target bitrate. Recommended ABR setting:

-abr target_bitrate

CBR is recommended when constant bitrate is required troughout the file, eg. streaming etc.?

-abr bitrate

---
The text above is just a quick sketch...

Reply #10
The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (--alt-preset insane).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281535"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it would be better to mention -b 320 instead of --api.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327192"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was just going to say. Preset insane being the highest quality possible needs a mention.

Reply #11
Guruboolez should get credits for his listening tests of the 3.97 alphas.

Reply #12
(Exact Audio Copy) - the best CD ripper & encoding (& tagging) to MP3 (or MPC, Ogg Vorbis) during ripping
Official site
Tutorial for EAC
EAC forum
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Link to EAC forum is not ok. Try this:
[a href="http://www.digital-inn.de/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14]EAC forum[/url]

Reply #13
Tag + Tag Frontend
Helium2
Renatager
MPTagger
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tag + Tag Frontend has moved. try this:
[a href="http://members.home.nl/w.speek/]Tag + Tag Frontend[/url]

MPTagger URL does not work

Please add:
ID3-TagIt

Reply #14
A small section of "What NOT to do" would help people avoid common (and understandable) errors.

Example:
-q0 : Actually, I'm nut sure about this one. Supposedly the bugs have been fixed in one of the alphas. But this is the first switch someone will mess around with.

-k : Encodes normally inaudible high frequencies but sacrifices overall quality and causes bitrate bloat.

--ns-bass etc.: These parameters are allready optimal. No need for further adjustment.

I'm sure there are detailed threads in the FAQ wich could be linked to for extra information.

Reply #15
I support Frank Bickings request (similar to some co-poster here), that not only the high-bitrate presets should be "recommended" here.
The target of the Topic was clearly, to have an overview about the best quality (and speed?!, people want to know always about speed, consider mentioning --vbr-new, it seems, that vbr-new gives also better/same quality, maybe because more tuned recently) settings for a given bitrate (range).

So, we could simply write each -V x setting to topic, with the expected bitrates.
Then below a second table, with explanation of making abr, then cbr encodes.

It would be very similar to the table Frank Bicking made for the Germans.
Maybe somewhere an addition, if intermediate values between eg. -V 4 and maybe -V 3 are possible (not necessary, if technically not possible), like -V 3.5 or -V 3.3 or whatever.

Parameter      | entsprechendes (translation: corresponding) Preset  | Bitrate
---------------+------------------------+-----------------
-b 320        | --preset insane        |    320 kbps CBR
-V 0 --vbr-new | --preset fast extreme  | 245…285 kbps VBR
-V 0          | --preset extreme      | 245…285 kbps VBR
-V 1 --vbr-new |                        | 220…260 kbps VBR
-V 2 --vbr-new | --preset fast standard | 170…210 kbps VBR  (empfohlen (translation: recommended)
-V 2          | --preset standard      | 170…210 kbps VBR
-V 3 --vbr-new |                        | 155…195 kbps VBR
-V 4 --vbr-new | --preset fast medium  | 145…185 kbps VBR
-V 4          | --preset medium        | 145…185 kbps VBR
-V 5 --vbr-new |                        | 110…150 kbps VBR
-V 6 --vbr-new |                        |  95…135 kbps VBR
-V 7 --vbr-new |                        |  80…120 kbps VBR
-V 8 --vbr-new |                        |  65…105 kbps VBR
-V 9 --vbr-new |                        |  45…85 kbps VBR
--abr xxx      | --preset xxx          |    xxx kbps ABR
-b xxx        | --preset cbr xxx      |    xxx kbps CBR

And I suggest, we/I edit simply the existing topic about recommended settings, as we don't need 2 topics. The topic was always edited to keep it uptodate.
If we think, we keep content of old topic for history, then the content can be copied to a history topic.
Most important reason about editing the existing thread:
Otherwise the links in world wide web would break down to the recommended lame-mp3 settings thread.
And that would be contra-productive in spreading the knowlwedge of this community and best Lame to the people out there.

Reply #16
I think the common *quality* presets should be listed:

-Vx (VBR quality level...x=0-9 .. 0 highest, 9 lowest)

--vbr-new (For faster vbr encoding)

Example:  -V2 --vbr-new

Recommended settings:

-V2 (High Quality  ....170-220k)**
-V1 (High Quality+....200-250k)
-V0 (High Quality+....230-280k)

** This preset is generaly transparent on most music

For near-transparent playback ideal for portable & car players:

-V4 (Medium-High quality - 140-180k)

Reply #18
I think that only the essential information must be mentioned here, everything else (e.g. bitrate corresponding tables, switches explanation) must already be at the wiki article(-s) (with the appropriate links, of course).

Guruboolez should get credits for his listening tests of the 3.97 alphas.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327224"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My exact thoughts.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #19
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']last version of topic with 3.90.3[/span]
to keep for evaluation & history eg.

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Recommended settings for Lame version 3.90.x:[/span]

Last update 2004-09-25

These settings require Lame 3.90 or later.  Lame 3.90.3 found on this website is the recommended version. (Check here to download).
LAME 3.95.1 and later use a new VBR preset system, which is discussed in more detail here.

Note:  At a given bitrate range, the quality scale usually works to where VBR is higher quality than ABR which is higher quality than CBR (CBR < ABR < VBR in terms of quality).  The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (--alt-preset insane).

Discussion has been moved here.

--alt-preset standard (~190 kbit/s, typical 180 ... 220)

--alt-preset fast standard (~190 kbit/s, faster but potentially lower quality)

--alt-preset extreme (~250 kbit/s, typical 220 ... 270)

--alt-preset fast extreme (~250 kbit/s, faster but potentially lower quality)

--alt-preset insane (320 kbit/s CBR, highest possible quality)

For high quality on portable MP3 players, you may use --alt-preset medium (around 160 kbit/s). The medium preset is only available in the modified LAME3.90.3.

Update: -Z added. Read this thread for more.
Update: -Z removed again; included within --alt-preset standard/extreme with the new 3.90.3 compile.

Recommended [span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%']ABR
(average bitrate) settings:[/b]
-------------------------------------------------[/span]

ABR Setting tuned from 320 kbps down to 8 kbps

--alt-preset <bitrate>

Example:
--alt-preset 200

128 kbit ABR

--alt-preset 128

There was developed an alternative to the  --abr 128 preset:
ff123's and Hans' suggestion (http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):
--abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93
Different people have different tastes regarding artefacts and their behaviour of annoyance, so try out yourself --abr 128 vs. --abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

Recommended [span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%']CBR
(constant bitrate) settings:[/b]
-------------------------------------------------[/span]

320 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 320

note: --alt-preset cbr 320 is the exact same thing as --alt-preset insane

256 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 256

192 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 192

160 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 160

128 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 128

or ff123's and Hans' suggestion (http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):

-h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

96 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 96

Based on Case's tutorial

5. Change 'Additional command line options' to one of the following commandlines
  7. Uncheck 'Add ID3 tag'

ID3v1:
--alt-preset standard --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v2:
--alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v1 and ID3v2:
--alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" lame.exe --alt-preset standard %s %d

(You can change --alt-preset standard to any setting/preset you'd like to use)

These commandlines are generally recommended over EAC's own tagging routines and its LAME encoder parameter passing preset, which is known to cause problems.
The bitrate setting serves a cosmetic purpose and is used for the size display in EAC's main window.

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']
Useful links
[/span]

(Latest LAME compiles)
Dmitry's compiles
www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm or Rarewares MP3 page

Dibrom's compile 3.90.3 for evaluation & history purposes

(MP3 Information sites)
Hydrogen Audio
Decoder test by David Robinson, link overthere out of function, who can give url ?

(MP3 Forums)
Hydrogenaudio MP3 forum

Official site
Tutorial for EAC
EAC forum

(LAME Frontends)
RazorLame
EasyLAME (german)  url off, who can give url ?

HeadAC3he by Dark Avenger : (5.1) ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2
BeSweet by DSPGuru : (5.1) ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2 with batch-possibility

Tag + Tag Frontend
Helium2
Renatager
MPTagger
MAC: Mpeg Audio Collection 2.92, but who can offer the download link to latest MAC 2.93 here inside of HA ?!

Official site

(How to)
Burn an MP3 CD
Burrrn
Reencode mp3 (high bitrate with ID3 tags) to mp3 (low bitrate) and include tags to new mp3 file  : Try Monkeys Audio http://www.monkeysaudio.com/, or maybe better: foobar 2000, use the CLI encoder: http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/html/foobar.html
Foobar basic guide at www.High-Quality.ch.vu
MPC -> MP3 by MPCxchange

(Analyzing MP3)
Mr QuestionMan
EncSpot
ff123's site: Discussion of Audio Compression including sites to evaluate your own capability of listening
MP3Utility

Credits
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']

Dibrom, r3mix, ff123, Hans Heijden, kjempen, Benjamin Lebsanft, GeSomeone, Wombat.

Creation of the alt preset system and related special code level quality enhancements:
Dibrom, with technical assistance from Robert Hegemann and Naoki Shibata and extensive tuning help and quality verification via listening tests from JohnV and also initial help (--dm-preset era) from Hans Heijden, ff123, Wombat, and others.  Test clips, bitrate information, and further listening tests provided by TheBashar, zbutsam, Pio2001, BadDuDeX, r3mix, h, TarX, Hans Heijden, ff123, Wombat, Filburt, Volcano, Garf, MrDrew, TrNSZ, nyaochi, Amadeus93, in no particular order, and many, many others I (Dibrom) probably forgot to mention.. (msg me to be added)

Idea (also exposing the need for a unified preset system), Original post and list of original settings collected by: user
Layout and additional work by: dev0, CiTay, SNYder, Dibrom[/span]

And finally...

[span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%']Thank you ALL in the community for making it what it is, providing interest and discussion and helping to work towards the most concise, well tuned, and most thought out MP3 quality "paradigm" seen yet!  -- Dibrom[/span]

Reply #20
[span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%']Major update with Lame 3.97:[/span]

Updated 2005-09-16

These settings require Lame 3.97 or later.  Lame 3.97beta1 (beta=b) found on this website is the recommended version. (Check here or Rarewares to download).
Do not use alpha (a) versions ! Those are for testing purposes, if you want.

Note:  At a given bitrate range, the quality scale is following: VBR is higher quality than ABR which is higher quality than CBR (VBR > ABR > CBR in terms of quality).  The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (--alt-preset insane).
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']VBR: variable bitrate mode, the goal is to keep a constant quality and saving bits where possible without lowering the quality.
ABR: average bitrate mode varies bits around a specified target bitrate
CBR: constant bitrate mode is not efficient regarding distributing bitrate to more complex music parts and saving bits where it would be possible without lowering the quality of those music parts.
Note: all modes and settings mentioned in this topic belong to the specifications of the MP3 standard, and the resulting MP3s should be played by every standard-conform MP3-Decoder. If this shouldn't be the case, blame the manufacturer or developer of your MP3-Decoder/device. Neither the hydrogenaudio.org community, HA staff, nor the authors of this post take any responsibility for anything.[/span]

Discussion has been moved here.

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']-------------------------------------------------
[/span]

The settings, presets are listed beginning with highest possible quality stepping down to lower qualities:

Code: [Select]
Switch            equals preset        target kbit/s  Bitrate range kbit/s

-b 320          = --preset insane        320 CBR    320
-V 0            = --preset extreme       240      245…285
-V 0 --vbr-new  = --preset fast extreme  240      245…285
-V 1                                     210      220…260
-V 1 --vbr-new                           210      220…260
-V 2            = --preset standard      190      170…210
-V 2 --vbr-new  = --preset fast standard 190      170…210
-V 3                                     175      155…195
-V 3 --vbr-new                           175      155…195
-V 4            = --preset medium        165      145…185
-V 4 --vbr-new  = --preset fast medium   165      145…185
-V 5                                     130      110…150
-V 5 --vbr-new                           130      110…150
-V 6                                     115       95…135
-V 6 --vbr-new                           115       95…135
-V 7                                     100       80…120
-V 7 --vbr-new                           100       80…120
-V 8                                      85       65…105
-V 8 - vbr-new                            85       65…105
-V 9                                      65       45…85
-V 9 - vbr-new                            65       45…85

If the target is eg. [span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']streaming[/span] , where you need MP3 in ABR or even CBR mode, there are still the ABR and CBR modes.
You can specify your desired target bitrate:

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']ABR = Average Bitrate mode:[/span]

--abr xxx    = --preset xxx       

xxx (desired averaged bitrate in kbit/s) can be any value between 8 - 320 , like eg. 9, 17, 80, 128, 133, 200 etc.

Only for 128k ABR:
There was developed an alternative to the  --abr 128 preset:
ff123's and Hans' suggestion (http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):
--abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93
Different people have different tastes regarding artefacts and their behaviour of annoyance, so try out --abr 128 vs. --abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']CBR = Constant Bitrate mode:[/span]

-b xxx                = --preset cbr xxx        

xxx (desired bitrate in kbit/s) can be only:  8 , 16 , 24 , 32 , 40 , 48 , 64 , 80 , 96 , 112 , 128 , 160 , 192 , 256 or 320

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Remarks:[/span]
the --vbr-new switch enables the new VBR mode. Lame will encode much faster compared to old/default vbr mode. Current knowledge qualitywise comparing vbr with --vbr-new is, that --vbr-new might even be better qualitywise than the default vbr mode, but there are also reports about artefact, which is worse in --vbr-new compared to default. Though the general impression is, that --vbr-new should be recommended over vbr-default.
The presets -V 0 , -V 1 , -V 2 with or without --vbr-new switch and of course -b 320 are considered to be transparent for a majority of people. [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](transparent = most people cannot distinguish the mp3 from the original in an ABX blindtest)[/span]
For high quality on portable MP3 players, you may use -V 4 (--vbr-new)= --preset (fast) medium (around 165 kbit/s).
-V 5 --vbr-new is a very good replacement for 128 kbit/s encodings.

The revolutionary --alt-preset system introduced in lame 3.90, is replaced nowadays by the preset system, which is already substituted by the above explained settings system.
You don't need to worry, if you select nowadays in lame 3.97 either --alt-preset xy , preset xy or corresponding switch xy, you will always get the same.
E.G.: --alt-preset cbr 320 is the exact same thing as --alt-preset insane etc.:
--alt-preset insane = --preset insane = -b 320 = --preset 320 = --preset cbr 320

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']-------------------------------------------------
[/span]
Based on Case's tutorial

7. Uncheck 'Add ID3 tag'

ID3v1:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

ID3v1 and ID3v2:
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" lame.exe -V 2 --vbr-new %s %d

(You can change -V 2 --vbr-new to any setting/preset you'd like to use)

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']
Useful links
[/span]

(Latest LAME compiles)
Dmitry's compiles
Dibrom's compiles
Rarewares.org MP3 section

(MP3 Information sites)
Hydrogen Audio
Decoder test by David Robinson

(MP3 Forums)
Hydrogenaudio MP3 forum

Official site
Tutorial for EAC
EAC forum

(LAME Frontends)
RazorLame

EasyLAME (german)

HeadAC3he by Dark Avenger : ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2
BeSweet by DSPGuru : ac3 -> wav DS2 -> mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2 with batch-possibility

Tag + Tag Frontend
Helium2
Renatager
MPTagger

Official site

(How to)
Burn an MP3 CD
MPC -> MP3 by MPCxchange

(Analyzing MP3)
EncSpot
MP3Utility

Credits
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']

Dibrom, r3mix, ff123, Hans Heijden, kjempen, Benjamin Lebsanft, GeSomeone, Wombat & GuruBoolez for his immense testing.

Layout and additional work by: dev0, CiTay, SNYder, Dibrom[/span]

And finally...

[span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%']Thank you ALL in the community for making it what it is, providing interest and discussion and helping to work towards the most concise, well tuned, and most thought out MP3 quality "paradigm" seen yet!  -- Dibrom[/span]

the links sections needs to be completely overhauled, eg. add those:

(Analyzing MP3)
EncSpot
MP3Utility
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
URL of Encspot is outdated. Try this:
[a href="http://www.guerillasoft.co.uk/encspot/]EncSpot[/url]

Please add
Mr QuestionMan

Please add somewhere
Burrrn
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327253"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #21
Comment --- Do you have to use the work F****ing in bold red letters in the first post of the thread???!!!

Kristian

Reply #22
So, the 1st draw of the new recommended settings post is finished, I dare to say.

I haven't checked the link list though, that work will follow later.

Maybe Citay or others can improve the layout, wording furthermore.
You will find some new texts by me, I think, they explain, what a newbie to mp3 needs to get a quick start to lame.

is anything important forgotten to mention ?
What about functionality of eg. -V 2.5 , or are those values impossible ? (well, I don't need them, preset system offers all, one could imagine, when i compare to 3.90 or even older...)

The main new dev of lame 3.97, who did a lot of work after 3.90, is Gabriel, or am i wrong ?
He should be mentioned in the credits, if so ?

Reply #23
The main new dev of lame 3.97, who did a lot of work after 3.90, is Gabriel, or am i wrong ?
He should be mentioned in the credits, if so ?

"New LAME dev since 6 years" 
I think that other Lame devs did a lot of behind the scene work which is very important.
So just mention Lame devs generically (wich is perhaps not that usefull as it seems obvious that Lame devs developped Lame), or mention every people who contributed to Lame (see http://lame.sourceforge.net/doc/html/contributors.html and http://lame.sourceforge.net/developers.html).

Reply #24
Comment --- Do you have to use the work F****ing in bold red letters in the first post of the thread???!!!

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327282"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a valid remark, i've removed that word.