Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4 DirectShow filters (Read 17054 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4 DirectShow filters

I've released a set of filters (splitter and decoder) to decode WavPack in DirectShow players like Windows Media Player.

It is pretty complete on the decoding side and should works with any WavPack v4 files (8,16,24,32 bits, more than 2 channels). It will maybe need some more works on 24 bits PCM and 32 bits float support. (be carefull directshow is picky about more than 16bits support, lower your audio speaker volume before, just in case  at least it works here  )

So it's mainly missing tag reading for now, and some little bug fixing probably
Some more information in the properties page could be nice also like lossless/hybrid/lossy or the number of crc error encountered.
That will probably come at a later time.

Correction filles are automatically loaded if present with the same name as the .wv but with the .wvc extension.

The decoder also works with WavPack stored in Matroska files (Lossless, Lossy and Hybrid) you need last Haali's Splitter for that.

Here is the link : http://coreforge.org/projects/coredsf/

Reply #1
Great work!

Reply #2
That's very nice. Thanks!

Reply #3
Hi Toff !

First of all thank you very much for wavpack DS filters. Great work !

But I have one question. When I encode an album in loseless mode or with correction .wvc files, everything's fine. But when I remove all .wvc files from current directory and restart WMP, it cannot play .wv files (when correction files not in the same dir). It stops playback right after starting.

Does anyone else have the same problem ?

Btw my first post on HA after two years of reading it  Great forum !

Reply #4
But I have one question. When I encode an album in loseless mode or with correction .wvc files, everything's fine. But when I remove all .wvc files from current directory and restart WMP, it cannot play .wv files (when correction files not in the same dir). It stops playback right after starting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290490"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK it was a bug I added since the last beta version 
I've just released 1.0.1 that fix 2 regression bugs :
- Decoding lossy and hybrid files.
- Decoding files with 32 bits float

Reply #5
OK it was a bug I added since the last beta version  
I've just released 1.0.1 that fix 2 regression bugs :
- Decoding lossy and hybrid files.
- Decoding files with 32 bits float
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290571"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Toff, it did the trick ! Now it works very good.

Looking forward to next version with tag reading support (the only thing is really missing now). Thanks again.

Reply #6
I think that this is a great advancement for WavPack. Many thanks to Toff and RobUx4!   

Has anyone else had good (or bad) luck with this? 

edit: wording

Reply #7
This is nice
Unlike CoreFLAC, MBCS filenames have no problems with CoreWavPack.

EDIT:
I originally wrote that Unicode filenames are not supported, but I was totally wrong.
It's not like CoreWavPack dosen't support Unicode, but GraphEdit doesn't. Baka graphedit.

I can play .WV file with French/Chinese/Japanese/Korean filenames successfully via DS (Media Player Classic)

Great

Reply #8
Version 1.0.2 released :
Added new "Info" properties page.
Fixed bug when decoding files with "extra" mode
Now use the OPEN_NORMALIZE flag.

Reply #9
Added new "Info" properties page.
Fixed bug when decoding files with "extra" mode
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=291292\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tested with file encoded with "extra mode" (MPC, WMP), and playback is OK. Where is the new "Info" properties page?

Other question: will tag reading be implemented in the next future?
-- forget that: you've already answered in the first post 

Anyway, nice job - and many thanks for all your work on wavpack

Reply #10
Where is the new "Info" properties page?

It's available in most player (but not in WMP9 I think).
For example in MPC you go in the menu "Play>Filters>WavPack Audio Decoder"
It's usually where you configure the directshow filters.

Reply #11
Thanks, I've found it
Just a question: I've tried with a file encoded in lossless, fast, "extra mode" with SFX module. In the info box, at "mode", I get "lossless" as information and only it. Is it intended?

Reply #12
Yes, for now it only give lossless, hybrid or lossy.

Reply #13
Toff, one more question.

Is there any chance that future versions of WavPack DS filters will support unicode in ID3v2 tags ? I think it would be also a big advantage for WavPack format.

Reply #14
Is there any chance that future versions of WavPack DS filters will support unicode in ID3v2 tags ? I think it would be also a big advantage for WavPack format.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tag support in the DirectShow world is pretty small because there is no common way for player to get them. As far as I know this is the only interface available dealing with tag/metadata :
[a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directshow/htm/iammediacontentinterface.asp]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ntinterface.asp[/url]

Now if you talk about WMP9/10 for example, tag support need to be done in a dedicated plugin. I've already tried to make one for another format but without success, I've asked the MS newsgroup but never really got an answer.

To get back to the subject I think WavPack only officially "support" ID3v1 and APEv2, so by the way ID3v2 isn't really a priority.

That's current status on tag reading 

Reply #15
Now if you talk about WMP9/10 for example, tag support need to be done in a dedicated plugin. I've already tried to make one for another format but without success, I've asked the MS newsgroup but never really got an answer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291929"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a pity. WMP support would have made this even more attractive.

Reply #16
Version 1.0.3 released :
Fix playback of hybrid files especially in MPC and maybe in other players.

Reply #17

To get back to the subject I think WavPack only officially "support" ID3v1 and APEv2, so by the way ID3v2 isn't really a priority.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291929"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the answer, now the situation it clear. Yes, first of all I kept in mind WMP9/10 asking about unicode tags. That's sad indeed.

And one more small question.  Let's say I have in the same dir:

Track 01.wv
Track 01.wvc

Do filters automatically use correction files when they (.wvc files) present in the same directory with hybrid files ? Or they just play lossy part only ?

Reply #18
And one more small question.  Let's say I have in the same dir:
Track 01.wv
Track 01.wvc
Do filters automatically use correction files when they (.wvc files) present in the same directory with hybrid files ? Or they just play lossy part only ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291968"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, if the correction file is present with the .wvc extension it will be loaded automatically, and the file will play as lossless.

Reply #19
FYI : The splitter and the filter are now distributed by default in the new matroska full pack 1.1.0 : http://packs.matroska.org/ . Former version 1.0.3 was distributed about 850,000 times  ....

Reply #21
I've updated the WavPack DirectShow filters to WavPack 4.40 :
http://coreforge.org/frs/?group_id=28
It should now support files using the "--optimize-mono" option.

I've heard WMP11 users had seeking problem with the previous version. Please check with this new version (even if nothing should have changed on this side) and report any problems.

Reply #22
I've updated the WavPack DirectShow filters to WavPack 4.40 :
http://coreforge.org/frs/?group_id=28
It should now support files using the "--optimize-mono" option.

I've heard WMP11 users had seeking problem with the previous version. Please check with this new version (even if nothing should have changed on this side) and report any problems.

Thanks, Toff! 

I verified that this works perfectly with the newer files and I'll change the link on my site to point to the coreforge page.

Unfortunately I can't test the WMP11 bug because I'm still using WMP7... 

Reply #23
i just tried it and i don't seem to have any issues with it or WMP11(well, scratch the WMP11 part. i hate WMP).

edit: after exiting WMP11, i got a message saying that the WMP11 database got corrupted. Nice!