Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My burning component (Read 43004 times) previous topic - next topic

My burning component

I'm making a component which burns disks with cdrdao.

Why?
Why not burrrn:  (burrrn is great but...)
-it's not foobar (see below)
-There are some things in my collection it can't do
-it may just be my imagination, but it seems to take FOREVER, especially when replaygaining
Why in foobar:
-foobar holds my music
-I like the idea of being able to burn anything foobar can play.
-possibility of RG/DSP/Dither
Why not nero:
-I don't have nero
-don't tell me to get nero.  $100 just so I can burn?  I mean, it turns a fully functional foobar 2000 into one of the most expensive players out there.  Winamp pro is only $15.00 in comparison, and man, I SO want to be done with winamp.
-with nero expired demo I have (old version) I get:
--SLOW!! though successful burning
--A fat program on disk I can't even use
--I have NEVER, at any time, even with a disk in etc, been able to select a burning speed
-with nero demo activated with a pirated key (still old version) I get:
--A hurting conscience
--A fat program on disk I never use
--Fast burning with at least 80% coasters (@$%^* it)
--I have NEVER, at any time, even with a disk in etc, been able to select a burning speed
why not my component:
-It's not ready yet
-I'm a sloppy programmer
-you need to get cdrdao working on your own.  This may include installing aspi and registry tweaks.

I've already got the component working to the following specs:
1)  A very ugly, and (I suppose) non SDK compliant gui.
2) Can convert files with/without RG/DSP/Dither
3) Can burn any selection which will automatically be in 2ch/44100 sample rate.  (I tested, and it works on my machine)

But there are still bugs and issues.

1)  My current code has a good chance of not working with 9x due to the way that my code redirects/launces cdrdao.
2) I'd like to make the gui more like the others I've seen in the SDK, and also make it able to show progress info from cdrdao.  Right now, it's unresponsive while cdrdao is working.  I will probably though give up on this component before I get to that point.
3) Files like my SPC's convert to 3xxxx something hz, which offends cdrdao and therefore my component
4) I suppose mono/multichannel files will have the same issue.

And there are things which would make this so much sweeter:
1)TAGZ'd cd text (I might do this)
2)Theoretically possible to choose dsp settings individually for each file.  (or even for each moment down to the chunk level)  I will never do either of these though.  I can't figure out the win32 api that well.
3)With some extra control over the toc, the user could do cdrdao-like stuff to the cd, maybe like cutting a track short if you want.

My intentions are to make this component work for me, and then release the source code to anybody and everybody who would care to turn it into a respectable foobar component.

So, I'd like some help.
-regarding resampling:
1)I'm pretty sure I'll need to add the resampler at the end of the chain.  Is this the right place for it?
2)can I leave the resampler in the chain when the file is already at 44100?  What I'm really asking is what the resampler will do?  Will it do nothing and not chew cpu?  If so, that would make me really happy, and I'd feel free to leave it in the chain, thus simplifying my life.
-regarding switching to stereo:
1) How will convert 5.1 to stereo behave on non 5.1 files?  Will it do nothing and not chew cpu?
2) How will convert mono to stereo behave on non mono files?  Will it do nothing and not chew cpu?

Ideally, I'd like to just tack these dsps to the end of the chain like this:
-convert 5.1 to stereo
-convert mono to stereo
-resample
And leave them there assuming they won't do anything harmful/expensive when it doesn't matter.

My burning component

Reply #1
Great. I've been waiting for a freeware CD burning alternative in foobar from the beginning. Let us know when you have a version available for public testing. 

My burning component

Reply #2
OK, here is my component.  I call it tginn.  You can get the source code/dll at www.geocities.com/popatr/tginn.html

Tginn still has bugs, but the ones I know about are visual or can be avoided.  It is usable by me, and as I said, I'd probably quit once the component worked for me.

DISCLAIMER:
USE Tginn AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I.e. I make no guarantees as to the fitness of tginn for use as a burner, or for any other use... Even reading the source code or this documentation might harm you.  I won't be help responsible for any damages you recieve by using tginn or any items related to it.
However, I promise that there are no intentionally malicious items in tginn.
Read the known/suspected bugs section to know how to avoid the avoidable bugs.

LICENSE:
I don't know about legal stuff, but you have my permission to do anything you want with my component/sourcecode.
HOWEVER- you may be limited by the foobar/cdrdao licenses and/or conflicts between the two.  And maybe the laws of your country.  It is up to you to study these out for yourself and find out what you are allowed to do.

Note:
You should not think of this component as under development.  I might watch this forum for a while to think about fixing bugs.  BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT!!  What would be really cool is if someone ELSE felt to make this component respectable.

Installation:
1) download a version of cdrdao from the cdrdao website
2) copy both cdrdao.exe and tginn.dll to your components directory.
3) get cdrdao working which might include-
3.1) installing an aspi layer
3.2) tweaking the registry
Don't ask me for help on getting aspi etc installed and working-- maybe installing burrrn will do all of this for you.  Or maybe not..I actually have no idea.

Usage:
1)select the files you want burned, right click, and choose "burn disk with cdrdao".
Note- you are responsible for not selecting too much music for your disk.
2)Choose your options
Note- If you want to change the speed, you are responsible for typing in a speed which cdrdao likes.  I don't know what cdrdao likes, since I just leave it empty (max speed)
3)click burn

This seems to do what it should.

Unknown areas:
1)I have not tested cdrw blanking since I don't have any.
2)I have not tested unlock drive 'cause my drive never locked up.
3)I have not tested the speed values, 'cause I just leave it blank for max speed

Known/suspected bugs:
1)The writers dropdown will display all devices which are reported by cdrdao's scanbus command.  I suspect that this is more than just burners.  Therefore, you are responsible for choosing an actual burner.  If you choose something else, cdrdao maybe will ask for user interaction (which my component doesn't allow) and hence will lock up the component.  The worst that I suspect will happen is that you will have to End foobar manually-hence losing any playlist stuff that hasn't been saved--by that, I mean that foobar won't get a chance to do it's automatic playlist saving at the end.

2)Oddly, if any window is up when you activate my burner, it will switch to such window, and you will have to switch back to foobar.  I'm not motivated to fix this.

3)The display may go unresponsive while cdrdao is working.  (the only things which should take any amount of time is burning/blanking, so that's the only time you should be able to observe this)  From what I've seen, the lockup ends when cdrdao is done.  I know of no harmful side effects.

4)A blank cd-r/rw disk must be in the burner before you push burn.  Otherwise, cdrdao will ask for input which you can't give.  Hence, it gets locked up.  So... put in the disk.

Note- the unresponsive gui bug seems to not happen as long as foobar is the only thing up and you don't do !anything!

Enjoy, or not, at your pleasure.

My burning component

Reply #3
I guess you should slap some kind of established license onto this if you want other developers to mess with your code, otherwise they might tend to get a bit insecure. Might I suggest a BSD style thingy, like:

Code: [Select]
               Copyright (c) 2005 popatr's code
                         All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   * Neither the name of popatr's code nor the names of its contributors
     may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
     without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

My burning component

Reply #4
I took your advice.  I hope I did it right.

My burning component

Reply #5
I get a
ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_tginn.dll, reason: Unable to load DLL.
with this plugin. I put foo_tginn.dll, cdrdao.exe and cygwin1.dll into my components folder. The ASPI and reg stuff are OK, I've got that working a long time ago, calling up cdrdao from commandline with a "cdrdao.exe scanbus" does what it's supposed to as far as I can see, so I guess cdrdao is working allright... But foobar2000 won't load this component.... Are there any dependencies I'm not aware of?

Running fb2k 0.8.3 on XP sp2, BTW.

My burning component

Reply #6
I get a
ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_tginn.dll, reason: Unable to load DLL.
with this plugin. I put foo_tginn.dll, cdrdao.exe and cygwin1.dll into my components folder. The ASPI and reg stuff are OK, I've got that working a long time ago, calling up cdrdao from commandline with a "cdrdao.exe scanbus" does what it's supposed to as far as I can see, so I guess cdrdao is working allright... But foobar2000 won't load this component.... Are there any dependencies I'm not aware of?

Running fb2k 0.8.3 on XP sp2, BTW.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296075"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Huh, I don't know why it does that to you.  I did a google on it though, and I saw that some other components had similar things happen to them because of msvcrt71.dll was not present on the person's system.  You could install that on your comp.

Or, you can try to redownload my component.  I found on the same topic that some linking flags  _might_ resolve the issue without the person having to have msvcrt71.dll, so I recompiled with the suggested flags.  I don't even know if that was the problem, but you could try it and tell me if that does it for you.

My burning component

Reply #7
Figured it out. Your component actually demands this full list of libraries to load:

msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
msvcp71d.dll
msvcr71d.dll

Unfortunately, when I then choose a few songs to burn, foobar simply crash....

More investigation:
OK. I now replaced cdrdao.exe with the version from my Burrrn installation and cygwin1.dll with the version from my Cygwin installation (conflicting versions of cygwin1.dll in searchpath can lead to crashes, I've experienced that before), instead of named binaries from "cdrdao-1.1.7.bin.x86.win32" from CDRDAO site.
Now, let's see how the burning goes....

OK. Seems a cd got burned. It's playable. Gotta go soon, so I can't listen through it all, but it plays on my CD player....

Probably conflicting versions of cygwin1.dll in searchpath that caused the crash....

My burning component

Reply #8
But one thing:
It leaves all it's temp files (wavs and toc) in foobar2000 root folder and it doesn't delete them afterwards. There really should be options for choosing temp folder and to delete temp files after (successful) burning......

My burning component

Reply #9
I am interested in trying this out - I can't find a copy of msvcp71d.dll (the debug) anywhere.  I did manage to find msvcr71d.dll. EDIT - disregard - found via obscure link.

anyway:  Got it working, by copying Mr_Rabid_Teddybear's suggestions to a tee.  Resulting disc is satisfactory.

Current gripes: no progress feedback, freezes foobar ui as a whole during burn (playback is fine - but included in ui freeze is inability to skip through playlist items, even via hotkey).

My burning component

Reply #10
I'm making a component which burns disks with cdrdao.

Cool. It seems to me that the marrying of Foobar and CDRDAO is long overdue.

However, Peter's post here possibly suggest why this hasn't happened before.  I don't fully understand the licensing issues...

Here's another thread on the foo/cdrdao subject.

My intentions are to make this component work for me, and then release the source code to anybody and everybody who would care to turn it into a respectable foobar component.

Note:
You should not think of this component as under development.  I might watch this forum for a while to think about fixing bugs.  BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT!!  What would be really cool is if someone ELSE felt to make this component respectable.

I would love to see this component flourish into a really solid and useable part of Foobar.

I do have Nero installed, but Foobar and CDRDAO just seems so right - like ice cream and jelly.

Congratulations on starting the project at least.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #11
I deleted cygwin1.dll from my components folder. All works OK. As I got Cygwin installed, cygwin1.dll is in my searchpath already, and it seems cdrdao.exe are capable of finding it there. So now I won't get issues with conflicting versions whenever I update Cygwin. (Cdrdao depends on cygwin1.dll, incase anyone wondered....)

My burning component

Reply #12
However, Peter's post here possibly suggest why this hasn't happened before.  I don't fully understand the licensing issues...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not specially knowledgable in licensing issues, but I seriously thougt you could link to a GPL'd binary from non-GPL'd software as long as you're not using any GPL'd bits of code within your application....(?)
Just look at e.g. Burrrn or Burnatonce. Theire both frontends for cdrdao, non of them have a license that even comes close to being GPL compatible....
And you can get a component for foobar called foo_mad. Seems that's OK as long as it's a separate component the user intalls him/herself. MAD is under the GPL.

My burning component

Reply #13
I am not specially knowledgable in licensing issues, but I seriously thougt you could link to a GPL'd binary from non-GPL'd software as long as you're not using any GPL'd bits of code within your application....(?)

That would be my understanding.  The component may require the CDRDAO executable, but it doesn't use any CDRDAO code.  I guess this is similar to selling (or releasing) a Windows application - the application requires Windows to run, but doesn't need to adhere to Microsoft's licensing.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #14
That would be my understanding.  The component may require the CDRDAO executable, but it doesn't use any CDRDAO code.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296313"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly. And as foo_tginn now are under a very unrestricting BSD style license that should work together with both CDRDAO's GPL license and foobar2000's closed license (as far as my understanding goes), I think popatr should be in the clear..... 

My burning component

Reply #15
And you can get a component for foobar called foo_mad. Seems that's OK as long as it's a separate component the user intalls him/herself. MAD is under the GPL.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296310"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foo_mad *does* violate GPL, by using GPL code together with non-GPL foobar2000 SDK code. However, author of the GPL part clearly doesn't care enough to even reply to kode54's emails asking for permission.
There have been cases of GPL software authors shutting people's projects down because of linking GPL code against non-GPL code in same binary (even while keeping whole binary opensource!).
I guess you're safe with GPL code being in separate executable (in worst case you can tell people to download it separately).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

My burning component

Reply #16
You know, when I build the diskwriter from the sdk, it ends up with those same msvc dll dependencies.  This is odd, since the version I get with foobar_special doesn't need those dlls.  maybe someone could advise me about how to end the dependencies on those msvc dlls.  (maybe I've come across a limitation of the free vs.net I got through my cs department... when I read the license, I couldn't see any distribution limitations, but maybe they ensure unneeded dependencies in certain cases, to limit your distribution capability.  Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.)

Anyway, I'm going to try to fix two things--the unresponsive gui issue, and I want create the ability to send a ctrl-brk to cdrdao at any time.  This will allow the user to end an unresponsive cdrdao, which should also work in the case when cdrdao is looking for user input.

My burning component

Reply #17
You appear to be using MSVC 7.1 compiler. Old MSVC 6 compiler - which was used for foobar2000 0.8.3 release - allows you to use MSVCRT.DLL for standard C/C++ functions; that DLL has been bundled with OS setups starting from win95b so it's safe to assume everyone has it by now. Unfortunately same compiler settings result in new runtime DLL references (MSVCR71.DLL etc) under newer compilers. You can avoid it by changing all foobar2000 SDK projects and your project to use "multi-threaded" runtime library (see: project properties / C++ / code generation) instead of "multi-threaded DLL" which it currently uses, but size of your own DLLs will go up.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

My burning component

Reply #18
Anyway, I'm going to try to fix two things--the unresponsive gui issue, and I want create the ability to send a ctrl-brk to cdrdao at any time.  This will allow the user to end an unresponsive cdrdao, which should also work in the case when cdrdao is looking for user input.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296370"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand you are not motivated to do extended work on this component, but I would have liked to see options like setting a temp folder and delete temp files.

As features goes; CD-TEXT support like Burrrn does would have been nifty, but that's maybe stretching it......

My burning component

Reply #19
Figured it out. Your component actually demands this full list of libraries to load:

msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
msvcp71d.dll
msvcr71d.dll

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296118"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If this is true, then I guess this component has been compiled in debug mode...which is quite unnecessary, it should be compiled for release. (IIRC the VS options)
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

My burning component

Reply #20
Well, the new version is up.

1)  The gui doesn't go unresponsive for me anymore.  One user commented that he couldn't even send a command to foobar via hotkey.  I tried it now, and I can.
2) You can send a ctrl-brk to cdrdao by pushing the new button on the right.  This does stop cdrdao if it's looking for input, or otherwise wasting time.  I haven't tried this during burning--I never felt like wasting a disk on that test.  As I said, I don't have cd-rw's.  (One note-- The ctrl-brk still doesn't affect the unlock drive command, but it should be fine since that command has never wasted time or asked for user input on me)
3) The dependencies on the msvc 7.1 dlls should now be gone.  Thanks to zZzZzZz for helping me with that.
4)This is the release build.  Thanks to kalmark for pointing that out... I was building the release version for you guys, but the post-link step still copied from the debug directory into the components directory!! (duh on me)  So yes, I was accidentally giving you the debug version.  The release version is smaller.
5)The component now cleans up after itself.  (deletes the wavs and toc)  unfortunately, I still don't let you choose the temp directory, and I don't offer to keep the temp files around.  If I get around to improving this again, that would definitely become an option I think.

My burning component

Reply #21
One quick note... tginn will work with later/other versions of cdrdao if I improve the way that my code parses the results from a scanbus.  I'm thinking I should.

My burning component

Reply #22
2) You can send a ctrl-brk to cdrdao by pushing the new button on the right.  This does stop cdrdao if it's looking for input, or otherwise wasting time.  I haven't tried this during burning--I never felt like wasting a disk on that test.  As I said, I don't have cd-rw's.  (One note-- The ctrl-brk still doesn't affect the unlock drive command, but it should be fine since that command has never wasted time or asked for user input on me)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could test during a simulated burn.

3) The dependencies on the msvc 7.1 dlls should now be gone.  Thanks to zZzZzZz for helping me with that.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is also possible to build with MSVC 7.1 and link against msvcrt.dll, but since you appear to be using the STL, this won't make any difference.

Slight hacking makes it possible to force link the msvcrt.lib from MSVC 6, but that doesn't work so well depending on the complexity of the C++ code you are using. (again, non STL) A more successful solution is to use the msvcrt.lib from the latest Platform SDK, or maybe it's from the latest Driver Development Kit, which is not available for free.

4)This is the release build.  Thanks to kalmark for pointing that out... I was building the release version for you guys, but the post-link step still copied from the debug directory into the components directory!! (duh on me)  So yes, I was accidentally giving you the debug version.  The release version is smaller.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Easy to fix on all targets in the future if you use the environment variables to reference project/intermediate/output directory.

5)The component now cleans up after itself.  (deletes the wavs and toc)  unfortunately, I still don't let you choose the temp directory, and I don't offer to keep the temp files around.  If I get around to improving this again, that would definitely become an option I think.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For now, you can refer to these functions, if you aren't already using them.

UTF8API_EXPORT BOOL uGetTempPath(string_base & out);
UTF8API_EXPORT BOOL uGetTempFileName(const char * path_name,const char * prefix,UINT unique,string_base & out);

Although, now that I think about it, it would probably be safer to use GetTempPathA/GetTempFileNameA directly. I'm not sure if cdrdao would accept a Unicode path properly, if it is even possible that the user profile directory contains characters outside the system codepage. (Or, codepage for non-Unicode applications as it is now.)

My burning component

Reply #23
I can confirm that the new version allows hotkeys, but I did something other than *nothing* and it mitigated focus and mouse input on the main fb2k window.  Keep it coming, looks good so far

My burning component

Reply #24
3) get cdrdao working which might include-
3.1) installing an aspi layer
3.2) tweaking the registry
Don't ask me for help on getting aspi etc installed and working-- maybe installing burrrn will do all of this for you.  Or maybe not..I actually have no idea.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Burrrn does not install any ASPI layer. Furthermore, it uses a special build of cdrdao from Burnatonce with something called "burnatonce extensions", which include as far as I understand, the option to use SPTI.

Anyways, a quick-and-dirty on making cdrdao work:

There's a lot of opinion on which ASPI and such, but I've been using the often recommended Adaptec ASPI layer v4.60 (1021) for ripping and burning for years on both w2k and xp without a single problem. I've installed this with ForceASPI 1.7. You can find instructions and download links on [a href="http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm]this page.[/url] In short; unzip, run DUMPASPI.BAT to dump current ASPI layer (if any), then run INSTASPI.BAT to install 4.60(1021). Reboot. Use aspichk.exe to verify the installation.

The mentioned registry tweak must be the same that comes with cdrdao download in the form of an "aspi.reg" file. I'm not sure if this is needed, but theres been reported that it can be necessary on w2k and xp to make things work. It doesn't harm to apply it anyways, that I've figured out. You can do same by copying code below into a textfile, rename this aspi.reg, doubleclick, answer yes.
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32\Parameters]
"ExcludeMiniports"=""

Also, cdrdao needs cygwin1.dll in same folder or searchpath. This comes bundled with cdrdao. But take care that you don't have multiple versions of cygwin1.dll in searchpath as this, as I found out, might lead to crashes....

That should be it, really....