Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cog 0.01: A new open source audio player for OS X (Read 36720 times) previous topic - next topic

Cog 0.01: A new open source audio player for OS X

A free open source audio player for OS X has been released which...
  • plays Ogg Vorbis/Mp3/Flac/Musepack/Wave/AIFF and Monkeys Audio
  • reads Vorbis, Id3, Id3v2, Flac and APEv1 and v2 tags
  • has a playlist and supports seeking
It is developed by Vincent Spader and can be found at http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/
Update June 9th: v0.02 released. Adds support for AAC, Wavpack and Shorten plus bug fixes. Details.

Reply #1
People on other platforms (namely Windows and Linux) may not be that excited but this is the first program of its kind for OS X, considering that LAMIP is still in early development on that platform and development of most other audio players (of which most were commercial) ceased or didn't recieve much attention after Apple released iTunes. I guess the mpc and ogg player xist deserves a honorable mention here.

Here is an (arguably large) screenshot:
[/color][/span]

Reply #2
So it's really only missing WavPack to offer support for all the important formats to OS X users.....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #3
Holy crap. I'm a bit stunned that my project has been mentioned on here, considering I put Cog out two days ago. The AAC support is in the CVS right now, and I have a few little user interface bugs to fix before I get 0.0.2 out the door. The only reason I came on this forum was to ask a couple folks about a SHN lib they mentioned, and I see this. Anyways, if you find any bugs or just wanna give me feedback, please do!

Reply #4
Holy crap. I'm a bit stunned that my project has been mentioned on here, considering I put Cog out two days ago. The AAC support is in the CVS right now, and I have a few little user interface bugs to fix before I get 0.0.2 out the door. The only reason I came on this forum was to ask a couple folks about a SHN lib they mentioned, and I see this. Anyways, if you find any bugs or just wanna give me feedback, please do!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303849"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The buttons don't operate as they should, you can't clear items from the playlist (the user interface bugs, I presume) and it won't play APE files, at least not under 10.3.9. If I might suggest a feature, how about the facility to drop a folder full of compatible files on the dock icon ?

The field is wide open for a player like this so the best of luck to you.

Reply #5
The buttons don't operate as they should, you can't clear items from the playlist (the user interface bugs, I presume) and it won't play APE files, at least not under 10.3.9. If I might suggest a feature, how about the facility to drop a folder full of compatible files on the dock icon ?

The field is wide open for a player like this so the best of luck to you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303857"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You cant remove songs from the playlist? Haven't heard about that one yet. You've tried the minus button and just pressing delete? As for APE files, I noticed I included a very shoddy build of the APE library into 0.0.1, and I think I got that worked out.
The folder idea is good, I'll see what I can do.

Reply #7
Personally I think Seed's suggestion here 'bout joint forces for a kickass opensource OS X player seems quite reasonably..... Just my two (insert currency)....

Reply #8
So it's really only missing WavPack to offer support for all the important formats to OS X users.....

Please, when designing the main APIs, dont make the mistake like the winamp devs to tie the container too tight to the compression format. Allow for container and codec to be handled separately, else you will never be able to support modern containers like MP4 or matroska with all possible audio codecs in them.

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org

Reply #9

Please, when designing the main APIs, dont make the mistake like the winamp devs to tie the container too tight to the compression format. Allow for container and codec to be handled separately, else you will never be able to support modern containers like MP4 or matroska with all possible audio codecs in them.

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304302"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never thought of that, so its a little late, but I'll look into it. As of right now it doesnt really support any containers, which is good I suppose as its one less thing to rewrite when the time comes to add them.

Reply #10
I never thought of that, so its a little late, but I'll look into it. As of right now it doesnt really support any containers, which is good I suppose as its one less thing to rewrite when the time comes to add them.

Ehm...don't all music and video files come in a container? 

*me ducks and hides*

Reply #11
Ehm...don't all music and video files come in a container? 

*me ducks and hides*
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304415"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Depends on what you mean by container.  Some formats have a very thin abstraction on top of the raw audio data, while others have an even higher level and more general level of abstraction on top  that supports many different types of configurations and formats (MP4, Matroska, etc.).

If you don't make your code general enough, it may be easy to deal with the first case, but a real pain to deal with the second case.

Reply #12
Cog 0.0.2 released. Updates include AAC, Wavpack, and Shorten support, along with miscellaneous bug fixes.
  • Awesomized id3v2 and tagging support courtesy of TagLib.
  • Dramatically improved performance of monkeys audio codec.
  • SHN and Wavpack support.
  • AAC support. (AAC with id3 tags not supported at the moment.)
  • Fixed 10.3 bug where files would not be removed from the playlist.
  • Added tooltips and control menu.
  • Fixed play button so it now plays the currently selected song if no song is playing. Otherwise, it does pause/resume.
  • Changed info panel to a drawer.
  • Misc UI fixes.

Downloads: Binary, Source (Sourceforge.net)[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
---
Edit: Added changelog, hope the edit/update has been OK under theese circumstances[/span]

Reply #13
Amazing

Reply #14
Great work!

Suggestion; Is it possible to add Apple Lossless support?
You find an open-source decoder here: http://www.craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html

Since it now supports AAC as well, you should allow the use of .m4a file ending...

Reply #15
Does this player support Vorbis streams too? I don't have access to any OS X box to test, but I'm interested in monitoring support for various formats and standards on different platforms for various reasons......

Reply #16
Great work!

You find an open-source decoder here: http://www.craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html

Since it now supports AAC as well, you should allow the use of .m4a file ending...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should just hook up to CoreAudio, which will give free support for all OSX-formats (including, of course, ALAC).

I think I would do something with the UI as well (especially the seeking bar and the button placement/logos which are a bit unclear), but it is a very promising app.

Reply #17
Great work!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should just hook up to CoreAudio, which will give free support for all OSX-formats (including, of course, ALAC).

I think I would do something with the UI as well (especially the seeking bar and the button placement/logos which are a bit unclear), but it is a very promising app.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304864"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It uses CoreAudio for output...you need to mess with other parts of the audio apis to get other formats that have Quicktime libs to work. Being an open source project, I prefer that Cog uses open source libraries for the decoding. Apple Lossless support is going to be added, but its going to be a while before the next version comes out. I'm currently in the process of improving the core, as it is currently a big mess. I've exchanged emails with the developer of LAMIP, and I'm also going to be helping out with that on OS X. So I've got a full plate ahead of me.
If anyone comes up with better UI ideas, I'm open for change. I just opened up interface builder and plopped things in and didnt put much forthought into the design. Just email me your ideas, and I promise I'll look at them. (my email is vspader (at) users.sf.net). One thing I'd like to make clear though is that I will not do skins. OS X is sexy enough as it is, and adding skins usually just makes the audio player stand out like a sore banana.
Oh, regarding M4a. m4a files are not the same as AAC, they have different headers. Adding m4a would be trivial, but I'll be busy with the other things mentioned above.

Reply #18
Excellent work...it's gone straight into my dock :-)

Reply #19
Does this player support Vorbis streams too? I don't have access to any OS X box to test, but I'm interested in monitoring support for various formats and standards on different platforms for various reasons......
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304855"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, it doesnt support streams at the moment.

Reply #20
My mac-loving™ friend asks, what about WMA support?
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #21
Mac-loving friend asking for WMA? WTF?

Reply #22
Mac-loving friend asking for WMA? WTF?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305546"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's so terribly unusual about that?
Anyways, this is not the answer.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #23
Anyone asking for WMA? WTF?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305546"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #24
Hohoho. The anti-Microsoft zealotry wars start once again.