Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cog 0.01: A new open source audio player for OS X (Read 36808 times) previous topic - next topic

Cog 0.01: A new open source audio player for OS X

Reply #25
 at roberto...

anyways, you can take the wma decoder from xmms-wma (which took it from ffmpeg).

later

Reply #26
I think the SHN support is a tad iffy. Cog kept quitting when I tried to add an SHN to the playlist while another was still playing and when I tried to relaunch Cog when there was still an SHN in the playlist it would quit unexpectedly immediately upon opening until I deleted Default.playlist from ~/Library/Application Support/Cog.

Reply #27
Hohoho. The anti-Microsoft zealotry wars start once again.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305642"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

did it ever stop

Reply #28
SHN support may not be the best. I didn't have too many files to test the code on. Same goes with Wavpack and AAC.
Theres also a problem with moving/deleting/changing access to files that the Default.playlist references.

Anywho, just to let you know, the feedback script on the server was broken, so I haven't received ANY of the feedback from the built-in feedback option. It's a real bummer for me, cause I look forward to reading things like that. Anywho, it should be working now. Sorry for all the wasted typing!

Reply #29
So it's only for Mac OSX.  Does it work on Intel yet? 

Reply #30
What about gapless playback?  My biggest gripe with iTunes and the reason why I keep my PC Desktop running most of the time with foobar.  Also, why I don't have an iPod.  Damn Apple and there disconcern for gapless.

Reply #31
What about gapless playback?  My biggest gripe with iTunes and the reason why I keep my PC Desktop running most of the time with foobar.  Also, why I don't have an iPod.  Damn Apple and there disconcern for gapless.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306496"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It does do gapless playback.

Reply #32
does this not work under 10.3.7? i can't seem to get it to launch...

Reply #33
Just tried this for the first time today.  Looking good!

I think you're already way ahead of my player, Xist.

Reply #34

It might be compiled with Xcode 2.1/GCC 4.0.0, which mean it has a minimum requirement of Mac OS 10.3.9.
So my first hint is that you update your OS!

Reply #35

It might be compiled with Xcode 2.1/GCC 4.0.0, which mean it has a minimum requirement of Mac OS 10.3.9.
So my first hint is that you update your OS!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307534"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks, that did the trick

Reply #36
well i say that...it launches under 10.3.9 but seems to immediately crash when i push play (on flacs). i'm assuming this is working under tiger?

Reply #37
Certainly working on Tiger!

Reply #38
well i say that...it launches under 10.3.9 but seems to immediately crash when i push play (on flacs). i'm assuming this is working under tiger?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307666"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do only FLAC files crash? I had some weird behavior with optimization on Monkeys Audio with GCC 4, and had to tell it to use GCC 3. I could try compiling the flac framework with GCC 3, to see if that fixes it.

Reply #39
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307666"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do only FLAC files crash? I had some weird behavior with optimization on Monkeys Audio with GCC 4, and had to tell it to use GCC 3. I could try compiling the flac framework with GCC 3, to see if that fixes it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307708"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

haven't tried any apes yet as everything on my HD is converted to flac...

Reply #40
Cog 0.0.3 released. Nothing big, just bug fixes. I'm working on plugin support, and it may be a bit before the next real release.
  • Fixed bug where Default.playlist referred to non-existent files, resulting in a crash.
  • Clicking on the time display will now alternate between current time, and time to go.
  • Now makes ham.

Downloads: Binary, Source (Sourceforge.net)
Home: http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
---
Edit for a fan dance: Thank You, InventedScrap!
[/span]

Reply #41
Just tried this out yesterday.  Really great on mp3's, but with wavpack files you only get the right channel and with some wav files I'm only getting the left.  Seemed great on some FLAC files that I have, though.

Great work.

Reply #42
Just tried this out yesterday.  Really great on mp3's, but with wavpack files you only get the right channel and with some wav files I'm only getting the left.  Seemed great on some FLAC files that I have, though.

Great work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308610"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll look into the wavpack file thing, but I know with mono files, it will only play in one channel, thats just the way CoreAudio works. I'll put a "fake stereo" thing on my todo list though.

Reply #43
anyone had any luck using this with 3rd party audio interfaces?

i'm using a presonus firepod firewire interface...and Cog crashes every time i try to play anything. have the identical machine at work (dual 1.8 G5, 10.3.9) using built in audio, and it works like a charm...

Reply #44

Great work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308610"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll look into the wavpack file thing, but I know with mono files, it will only play in one channel, thats just the way CoreAudio works. I'll put a "fake stereo" thing on my todo list though.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got this with stereo wavpack files too.

Reply #45
I got this with stereo wavpack files too.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308660"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Roger that, I just relistened to the wavpack files I have, and I'm getting only the right channel also. So, its fixed and will be in the next version. On a side note, could anyone running 10.3.8 or something below 10.3.9 (but still 10.3) give me a PM, I'm trying to get it working on those systems as well.

Reply #46
Cog 0.0.4 has been released on 29th of june (sorry for the late report, i've been away for a couple of days).

This is not yet the proposed modular remake of Cog. News are a volume slider, general Panther compatibility and a bunch of quick bug fixes:
    [/li][li] Fixed id3v1 tag issue when taggers use spaces to fill empty bytes.
    [/li][li] Fixed minor UI (Hide NewApplication) bug.
    [/li][li] Fixed version number, so autoupdate should work.
    [/li][li] Compiled with GCC3.3, which should hopefully fix issues with 10.3. (If it doesn't, contact me please)
    [/li][li] Now ignores case when dealing with file extensions.
    [/li][li] Added volume slider.

0.04.b
    [/li][li] Fixed crash when dragging/dropping files to the playlist.

0.04.c
    [/li][li] Fixed autopositioning of the volume slider.[/li][/list]

Downloads: Binary, Source (Sourceforge.net)
    Home: http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/

As a sidenote, beta testers are definitely welcome:
    From now on, I'm going to post prerelease versions on the sourceforge files page [...] I encourage anyone to download these prereleases, and report as many bugs as you can find with the sourceforge bugtrackermabob.