IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What is the effective bit rate of vinyl?, LP recording
klockworks
post Jul 14 2005, 07:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4046

I would like to record my vinyl and would like to know what the effective bit rate is of a vinyl (LP) recording? Anyone? Or is this a silly question?

--------------------
Fix it . . . Just Fix IT!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DreamTactix291
post Jul 14 2005, 07:40
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 14572

Vinyl being analogue would not have a bitrate like a digital source and cannot be compared in this manner.

--------------------
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45
+Quote Post
Woodinville
post Jul 14 2005, 18:59
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 18957

QUOTE (DreamTactix291 @ Jul 13 2005, 10:40 PM)
Vinyl being analogue would not have a bitrate like a digital source and cannot be compared in this manner.

Um, didn't Mr. Shannon have something to say about that?

I did the math a while ago, and I don't remember the results, but if we assume 70dB SNR in the first of two channels (more on why that later), at least up to 1kHz, and then roll off to about 30dB at 20kHz (this is a very optimistic view of vinyl, but let's live with it), you can linearly interpolate this and then figure out what log2 of the SNR is.

For the second channel, we have to recall that the separation in vinyl rarely gets above 35dB, and that it's more like 15dB at high frequencies.

Now, vinyl can go to about 25kHz, but rarely has information on it above 16-20kHz due to the limitations of mastering equipment, etc. (Yes, I know about quad, but that's a somewhat redundant modulation scheme, it limits the baseband bandwidth, and it causes rather a lot of wear problems.)

--------------------
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 17:29